Thread: Choice of Fleece...

Choice of Fleece...

Hi,

I need the advice of novice and well seasoned travellers alike. I'm shopping for a new fleece, something preferably wind-proof and warm, for an upcoming trip to Egypt. It's about a weeklong tour, and I do expect some cold nights here and there. When I was in Morocco, my cotton sweater just didn't cut it.

With my OCD kicking in, I find it hard to choose between the "classic" North Face Denali fleece, one from Spyder, or even one from Outdoor Research Logic jacket. I'm open to other ideas suggestions as well, as long as they meet the following criteria, if possible:

- Be warm
    - Windproof'ish
    - Be light-weight
    - Be able to wear it daily/frequently for work (i.e., i don't look like i'm about to climb Mt. Everest when I'm really just getting onto the subway)
    - Be able to wear it for my road bike trips around New York City when the cold weather sets in (approx. 25-30 miles at a time). So I would wear this on top of a breathable layer and maybe a wool long-sleeve.

Does anybody have a preference of one over the other? Suggestions are much appreciated!
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Helly Hansen?

The Spyder T-neck is comfortable, lightweight enough to layer and wears pretty well. Got one 6 years ago for snowboard wear,
    and it still looks good. Clean style, not outdoorsy at all.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I have both Spyder and Northface type fleeces and they're great.. but not worth the price. If money's not an option, then go ahead and buy 'em up. I think your best bet would be to go to an outdoors' type store where they specialize in that type of gear. To be specific, Dick's Sporting Goods, EMS, Bass Pro Shops, Sports Authority, etc. It may not be mega-stylish and NYC club worthy fleece you'll find but it'll probably be the most comfortable/warm fleece you'll find for the money.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    I have both Spyder and Northface type fleeces and they're great.. but not worth the price. If money's not an option, then go ahead and buy 'em up. I think your best bet would be to go to an outdoors' type store where they specialize in that type of gear. To be specific, Dick's Sporting Goods, EMS, Bass Pro Shops, Sports Authority, etc. It may not be mega-stylish and NYC club worthy fleece you'll find but it'll probably be the most comfortable/warm fleece you'll find for the money.
    I had the feeling that the value vs. money argument will pop up. I mean, they're just fleece either way, right? The label is what makes them more expensive. I'll venture into Patagonia, maybe they'll have a store brand that'll get the job done.

Plus, who wears fleece to NYC clubs anymore?
    "It's better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"
    - ...?

Thread Information