Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: if americans like torque, why not buy diesel engined cars?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Let's see what happens now that Mercedes is going to offer its GL-SUV with a V8 diesel, with only 290 BHP but 700 Nm or torque (515 lbft?) this year in the USA.
    However it's not as performing as other applications of the same 4-litre twin turbo V8 diesel. In the E-class for instance it develops 315bhp and 730Nm (540ft-lb). Is it because of the Bluetec or because in the GL-class the engine has less performance?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

could be the bluetec, I also read a short review in Auto Motor und Sport, and they found the car less responsive compared to the European version, although in absolute terms still good enough.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

VW has just announced the Jetta TDi bluetec Concept Car, which will meet the Californian emission requirements.
    Last edited by henk4; 01-05-2007 at 02:06 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Your brain might be composed of soft aluminium but that Oldsmobile-built GM V8 diesel was not, it was all iron
    Well, despite what material they made it out of, it was very faulty, and would tear itself apart over time.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    Well, despite what material they made it out of, it was very faulty, and would tear itself apart over time.
    another classic case of "think before you write"

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    VW has just announced the Jetta TDi bluetec Concept Car, which will meet the Californian emission requirements.
    I know I have asked this somewhere but in Europe there are separate standards for the two fuels right? Why that is not the case in the states still baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR
    I know I have asked this somewhere but in Europe there are separate standards for the two fuels right? Why that is not the case in the states still baffles me.
    Maybe because there virtually is only one fuel?

Perhaps but there still is a fair amount of petrol cars sold. Also I have heard that there is tax incentives given for diesel and hence a slightly cheaper price then petrol in Europe anyway.

Thread Information