Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paid Subscription

^^^

Settle mate, we all know its not. Its prolly js some dickhead on SC.net trying to look hardcore because his riced 82 civic just doesnt make him "hardcore" enough
    The Datto will rage again...

The problem is, with the internet being so free free free like it is, or has been in the past, society has just adopted the fact they expect everything to be free when they log on line.

When I first started ExoticCarSite.com, my main aim was to not have any form of ads on the site or server. But after running the site for a good 9 months, and being out of pocket approximately $600 for those 9 months, I had to implement advertising to the site, and I'm sure Wouter feels exactly te same way. When you start dealing with hundreds of gig of bandwidth being dwonloaded each month off your server, we have to foot the bill for the escalating server maintains and costs. Like, I said, I wanted the site to be free, but these days, with the internet being as popular as it is, it just isn't possible. I never really to introduce paid subscription, as I feel paying for images that can be found on media sites just isn't right, but who knows, maybe I'll get sick of the ads on the site, and I'll have to implement something, but I doubt I ever will. Drew with fast-autos.net has been around for what seems like forever, and that site has no paid subscription at all, so that is my aim anyway.

As a supporting member at SC.net [I got sick of the ads, but I mainly upgraded for the access to the faster server], you shall be getting a subscription from me for here too . When the website advertising comes into my paypal account tomorrow, Ill deduct whatever the sum is for here, and send it off a few days later
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com
    2. Bugatti-Veyron-16-4.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

There Are No Speed Limits On The Road To Excellence - David W Johnston

If Good Men Do Nothing, Then That Is Evil Enough

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticCarSite
    I never really to introduce paid subscription, as I feel paying for images that can be found on media sites just isn't right, but who knows, maybe I'll get sick of the ads on the site, and I'll have to implement something, but I doubt I ever will.
    You surely must have seen that many UCP pictures are original and not coming from media sites. It is the cost of getting those pictures which warranted the introduction of a subscription system.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I never really to introduce paid subscription, as I feel paying for images that can be found on media sites just isn't right, but who knows, maybe I'll get sick of the ads on the site, and I'll have to implement something, but I doubt I ever will. Drew with fast-autos.net has been around for what seems like forever, and that site has no paid subscription at all, so that is my aim anyway.
    You may have seen our recent Ferrari V8 update, which consisted of 100% unique content, both the text and images were exclusive, which was all available for free! We are not asking for money to check out media pictures (which are all available in the Hide-Out anyways), the only images restricted are eighteen of our finest shots of 2004, which we could easily sell off to magazines for as much as the annual subscription each.

Although Drew has a very impressive site, it's not comparible to Ultimatecarpage.com. His is mainly about imagery, ours is mainly about the complete package. Sure I can post the 500+ images we have of the Ferrari Enzo, but that would be overkill in my opinion. Instead we focus on original editorials about many historic vehicles which take time and money (books and trips) to cover.

It would have been so easy to make the paid subscription package a success by restricting access to content that was available for free before. That would have made it a lot more popular than it is today. Instead we just added it as an additional service for our fans, which offers some exclusive content and the removal of all ads. The majority of our current subscribers are new members, who probably visited the site for years, but never created an account and will most likely never participate in the forums.

We can assure you that we are not money hungry bastards, who try to make as much money possible. There are many more methods of advertising, which are much more profitable, but of which we feel they are too intrusive for our visitors. It's tempting, because I do want my Elise ASAP. Fortunately advertising is picking a bit in the third quarter, but most of the money is already reserved for a round trip through North America, where we will work our asses off to get new exclusive content for our readers.

I hope this has cleared things up for you a bit.

Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy your future visits

W
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I completely understand what your saying. You aim to provide a site that is more than just images, an Online Car Magazine if you will, comprising of exclusive content for users visiting

You, it appears, like me, arent money hungry. Good luck with the Elise and the NA trip.

Actually, the only reason I come here is for the forum in all truth. Its not real big, but its a good size, where everyone gets alone, which is exactly what I like. I really should contribute more to the forum though.

The reason I only really go to the forums is because the images on the pages have the ultimatecarpage logo plastered on the corners of them... and I just can't stand that, I hate it with a vengeance, but I do recognise it is a marketing tool, but i will never implement it with mine because it just ruins the pictures in my opinion.

But, like I said, I'll be a supporting member when my fastclick revenue comes into my paypal account tomorrow. But its the weekend, so paypal wont work, so I won't be able to sign up until about Monday or Tuesday
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com

If We Have The Courage To Pursue Our Dreams, And Transform Our Vision Into Reality, We Invite Magic Into Our Lives - Race Resort Ascari

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing - Edmund Burke

Since when doesn't paypal work in the weekend?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Since when doesn't paypal work in the weekend?
    That's sounding just a bit too "needy" there Wouter.

What's up you short of beer money for tonight ?????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    That's sounding just a bit too "needy" there Wouter.

What's up you short of beer money for tonight ?????
    Haha, no it's for a downpayment on the Elise.

(Ted Joans)

The reason I only really go to the forums is because the images on the pages have the ultimatecarpage logo plastered on the corners of them... and I just can't stand that, I hate it with a vengeance, but I do recognise it is a marketing tool, but i will never implement it with mine because it just ruins the pictures in my opinion.
    This is Catch 22. A site wants to present unique images on the internet which is the epitome of "theft", so in order to retain this uniqueness pics have to be made recognisable, while their uniqueness on the other side warrants a sort of paying system.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Completely understand..... and my PayPal still hasn't come through yet..... not happy, damn the time differences between here and the US being liek 8 or 9 hours behind!
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com

Completely understand..... and my PayPal still hasn't come through yet..... not happy, damn the time differences between here and the US being liek 8 or 9 hours behind!
    just wondering, what's your home base?

East side of Australia.... 10 hours north of Sydney basically.

Our timezone here is GMT+10:00... so basically, when its 8pm here, its midday there pretty much. Or another way to look at it, is, if its 1am here, they are a "day behind" as it is only 5pm or so there.
    Web Publisher:
    1. ExoticCarSite.com

East side of Australia.... 10 hours north of Sydney basically.

Our timezone here is GMT+10:00... so basically, when its 8pm here, its midday there pretty much. Or another way to look at it, is, if its 1am here, they are a "day behind" as it is only 5pm or so there.
    Ah, I understand I figured that 8 hours time difference with the USA would put you somewhere in Europe, but you are actually on a 16 hour time difference compared to the USA.

I think I got my mum convinced that Pay-pal is perfectly safe and juuust peachy, more reports as they come in!

hey i might consider if my mom is willing to put her credit card over the internet. I really wanna supoort UCP. Hope i will be able to convince her!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Thread Information