Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football great Reggie White dead!

Football great Reggie White dead!

Reggie White died at age 43 2 days ago, he was a record setting Defensive Tackle who played for the Philadelphia Eagles 1986-1992 and played for the Packers from 1993-1998, 1998 being the year of his retirement.

details below

NFL great Reggie White may have died because of a respiratory disease combined with other health problems, a preliminary autopsy report said Dec. 27.

White most likely had a condition that affected the amount of air his lungs could hold, resulting in "fatal cardiac arrhythmia," said Dr. Mike Sullivan, the medical examiner for Mecklenburg County and a forensic pathologist.

The report issued by Sullivan's office also said sleep apnea may have been a factor.

The report is a preliminary one; determining a final cause of death could take up to three months, Sullivan's office said.

White died Dec. 26 at Presbyterian Hospital in Huntersville after being taken there from his home in nearby Cornelius. His wife, Sara, called 911.

White had the disease, known as sarcoidosis, for several years, family spokesman Keith Johnson said. He described it as a respiratory ailment that affected his sleep.

On its Web site, the American Lung Association describes sarcoidosis as a disease characterized by the presence of small areas of inflamed cells that can attack any organ of the body but is most frequently found in the lungs.

The cause of the disease, which is most common among blacks and white northern Europeans, is not known.

Sleep apnea causes people to stop breathing repeatedly -- in some cases, hundreds of times -- during their sleep.

The disease killed a man who had earned the respect of other NFL players both on and off the field.

"He may have been best player I've ever seen and certainly was the best I've ever played with or against," Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre said after White's death.

"Off the field, he did so much for so many people. He really reached a lot of people. ... He was a great friend on and off the field. We'll all miss him."

The fearsome Philadelphia and Green Bay defensive end was 43.

"It just seems so odd, so surreal," said former Packers teammate Eugene Robinson, now a commentator for Carolina, where White spent his final season. "I'm still like, 'I don't believe it.' When I saw it flash on the television -- 1961 to 2004 -- I was just like, 'I'm not going to try to fight back any more tears. I'm just going to cry.'"

Sara White said in a statement Dec. 26: "Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away. His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy."

A police officer was outside White's Tudor-style home in a gated community and would not let a reporter approach the house.

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and ordained minister who was known as the "Minister of Defense," White played 15 seasons with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. He retired after the 2000 season as the NFL's career sacks leader with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

"Reggie White was a gentle warrior who will be remembered as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history," NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said. "Equally as impressive as his achievements on the field was the positive impact he made off the field and the way he served as a positive influence on so many young people."

A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was elected to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and 1998.

"A 43-year-old is not supposed to die in his sleep," Johnson said. "It was not only unexpected, but it was also a complete surprise. Reggie wasn't a sick man ... he was vibrant. He had lots and lots of energy, lots of passion."

Johnson is the head of Christian Athletes United for Spiritual Empowerment, a ministry that White helped found. He said White had gone to see the movie "Fat Albert" on Christmas night with family and friends.

White and his wife had a son and a daughter: Jeremy, a freshman at Elon University, and Jecolia, a junior in high school.

After an All-America senior season at Tennessee, White began his pro career with the USFL's Memphis Showboats in 1984. He joined the Eagles, who held his NFL rights, after the USFL folded in 1985. For eight years, he was as an integral piece in Philadelphia's "Gang Green Defense."

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie called White "one of the greatest men ever to play the game of football" and said his "legacy on and off the football field will never be forgotten."

White played a key role in free agency -- he was one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that led to the current system.

"He meant as much to us off the field as much as on it," said Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association. "He had his name on the lawsuit and he didn't get one penny. That's just the type of guy he was. His character, his integrity was everything any NFL player should aspire to be."

White signed as a free agent with Green Bay in 1993 for $17 million over four years. His signing, along with a trade for Favre, helped make the Packers champions again.

"That's what changed the football fortunes of this franchise. It was huge," Packers president Bob Harlan said. "He sent a message to the rest of the NFL that Green Bay was a great place to play."

The Packers made consecutive Super Bowl appearances, including a win over New England in 1997, when White set a Super Bowl record with three sacks.

"He was just a wonderful player, first of all," said Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, who coached White in Green Bay. "Then, as a person, he was just the best. ... I'm a better person for having been around Reggie White."

White worked tirelessly in the offseason with inner-city youths. But his image was tarnished when he gave a speech in which he denounced homosexuality and used ethnic stereotypes. White later apologized.

White was 39 when he finished his NFL career with Carolina -- his third retirement. He retired for one day before the 1998 season, but then said God had told him he needed to play again, and he returned to the Packers.

"He may have been best player I've ever seen and certainly was the best I've ever played with or against," Favre said.

White retired again after the 1998 season and took a year off from football. After the Packers allowed him out of his contract, he returned to play for the Panthers and recorded a career-low 51/2 sacks and had only 27 tackles.

Wayne Russell, a manager at A.L. Jinwright Funeral Service in Charlotte, said funeral arrangements were still incomplete early Dec. 27.

/\ source packers.com

/\ Reggie White

He was truly a football great, but his impact on the community was even greater. RIP
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

A great player on the field and an even greater person in the community. I don't think that can be emphasized enough. Rest easy Reggie White.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

here's some more stuff talking bout Reggie's death.

/\ reggie White

Reggie White, a fearsome defensive end for the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles who was one of the great players in NFL history, died Sunday, his wife said. He was 43.

A cause of death was not immediately known.

"Today our beloved husband, father and friend passed away,'' White's wife, Sara, said in a statement through a family pastor. "His family appreciates your thoughts and prayers as we mourn the loss of Reggie White. We want to thank you in advance for honoring our privacy.''

A two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year and ordained minister who was known as the "Minister of Defense,'' White played a total of 15 years with Philadelphia, Green Bay and Carolina. He retired in 2000 as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks with 198. The mark has since been passed by Bruce Smith.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie called White "one of the greatest men ever to play the game of football.''

"His legacy on and off the football field will never be forgotten,'' Lurie said in a statement.

A member of the NFL's 75th anniversary team, White was elected to the Pro Bowl a record 13 straight times from 1986-98. He was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 1987 and 1998.

"As great a player as Reggie was, he was a better person, and it isn't close,'' Detroit Lions CEO Matt Millen said. "Every life that Reggie touched is better for it. This is a very depressing day.''

After an All-American senior season at Tennessee, White began his pro career with the Memphis Showboats of the USFL in 1984, and joined the Philadelphia Eagles, who held his NFL rights, after the USFL folded in 1985.

After eight years as an integral piece in Philadelphia's "Gang Green Defense,'' White signed as a free agent with Green Bay in 1993 for $17 million over four years, huge for that era. His signing, along with a trade for quarterback Brett Favre, brought a measure of respectability back to the franchise and he was the first major black player to sign with the Packers as a free agent.
    His decision to choose the Packers was a surprise.

While visiting various teams, he suggested he would prefer a major city, where he could minister to black youth.

"That's what changed the football fortunes of this franchise. It was huge,'' Packers president Bob Harlan said Sunday. "Everyone thought the last place he would sign was Green Bay and it was monumental because not only did he sign but he recruited for Green Bay and got guys like Sean Jones to come here. He sent a message to the rest of the NFL that Green Bay was a great place to play and before that this was a place people didn't want to come.''

He helped lead the Packers to consecutive Super Bowl appearances, including a win over New England in 1997, when he set a Super Bowl record with three sacks.

White worked tirelessly in the offseason with inner-city kids and to bridge the racial and economic divide. But his image was tarnished when he gave a speech in which he denounced homosexuality and used ethnic stereotypes. White later apologized for any harm his comments may have caused.

White was 39 when he finished his NFL career with Carolina. That was actually White's third retirement. He retired for one day before the 1998 season, but then said God had told him he needed to play again, and he returned to the Packers.

White retired again after the 1998 season and took a year off from football. After the Packers allowed him out of his contract, White returned to the Panthers last season and played for $1 million.

"I will always miss the locker room and the guys, but I know God's will for me to move on to other challenges because it's not in me like it used to be,'' White said at the time.

White's last season was disappointing in many respects. He recorded a career-low 5.5 sacks with only 27 tackles. He didn't show the same pass-rushing skills that made him a dominating force for much of the past two seasons.

White spent eight years with the Eagles and six with the Packers before a final one with the Panthers.

Remarkably durable, White missed only one game in his last 12 seasons and started all but three games during that span.

"Reggie's records and accomplishments say it all,'' said George Seifert, who coached him on the Panthers. "He is a Hall of Fame player and possibly the best defensive lineman ever to play the game.''

/\ source www.packers.com

his career with Green Bay.

Reggie White #92
    Position: Defensive End
    With Packers: 1993-98
    College: Tennessee
    Ht: 6' 5"
    Wt: 300 lbs
    Born: 12/19/61
    Acquired: UFA 1993 (Phi)

The most-honored athlete ever to play defensive end in the National Football League's long history, Reggie White returns for the 14th and what he has termed the final season of a singular and distinguished career
    Hampered by a persistent back problem in 1997, he earlier had announced his retirement from the game - on the second day of the 1998 NFL draft (April 19) - but subsequently decided to play one more year to fulfill a promise he had made to Packers management when he signed a new, five-year contract late in the 1996 season - a commitment to play at least two seasons
    Remembering that promise, he announced on April 21, had triggered his decision to return
    Long a legitimate icon in his game, in which he last season was a Pro Bowl selection at his position for a record 12th consecutive year, White has seen his talents, performance and persona elicit the ultimate in superlatives for more than a decade
    The prepossessing Tennesseean, a certain Hall of Famer as soon as he becomes eligible, is larger than life, literally and figuratively - a man apart, both at his position and off the field
    Green Bay defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur, openly admiring, has paid him the ultimate compliment, calling White "the cornerstone and foundation of this football team"
    Confident Number 92 will make substantial contributions to the cause in '98, Shurmur observed, "As we have seen with him over the years, whenever he has had some kind of a physical difficulty, in most cases those types of things put the average guy on the shelf. But he has played through dislocated elbows, holes in his hamstring muscle, and last year with a bad back. So I would not be a bit surprised to see him come back and achieve at a high level. I know he has recommitted, rededicated himself to working as much as humanly possible to rehabilitate his injured back. And, again, if it's humanly possible for anyone to do it, Reggie will do it. As a result, I fully expect that he'll be there and be a contributor to our defense again. Obviously, the leadership skills are unparalleled in this league. His impact on our team, on our fans, on our city and on our state is immeasurable. And when it comes to great football players, there's no question that he's probably the greatest to ever play the position. But, more significantly, I've never been around a guy who has more legitimate concerns for his fellow man and for bettering the place in society of his fellow man or for those who do not have the same kind of advantages we have. So he's a great human being and a great football player."
    Addressing what White's presence and performance have meant to the Packers over the past five seasons, Shurmur asserted, "Actually, when we look around at our team and what's happened with our team, the most important - the pivotal move - was to bring Reggie White here. When he came here, he came here with the idea that he was going to help this team get to a Super Bowl, and did about everything he could as an individual to try to get there - including personal sacrifices and all those kinds of things. He was the ultimate team player - a team leader to the point where he has a very positive influence on the rest of our people. I think if I were to take three words that kind of characterize our team, they are commitment, character and chemistry - and all of those words describe Reggie and his commitment to this team. He is a rare football player, a rare individual. He is rare in his capacity to play the game consistently. He has tremendous strength and explosiveness, to go with speed. He's probably the most unselfish team player I've ever been around and it rubs off. If you were to look at one guy whose demeanor and whose mode of living is an example for all of us to follow, it's Reggie White. He leads by example better than any player I've been around - he never misses a turn in practice."
    These accolades having been delivered, there remains no way to adequately measure White's electrifying impact upon the defense in his five seasons as a Packer
    But his unit's performance in 1996, for prime example, offers an eloquent testimonial to his contributions
    The Packers' defense - under White's leadership - reached the summit in '96, finishing as the NFL's top-ranked unit in for the first time since 1967
    White and his colleagues led the league in fewest points allowed (210) and set an NFL record for fewest touchdowns allowed in a 16-game season (19)
    His unit's rankings have consistently held top spots in many defensive categories since his arrival upon the Green Bay scene
    The Green Bay defense soared to second place in 1993 (from a distant 23rd the previous year), when the former Philadelphia Eagles superstar joined the Green and Gold as the most sought-after performer to become available with the advent of unrestricted free agency in the National Football League
    It subsequently finished a highly-respectable sixth in 1994 despite the loss of starters Johnny Holland, Tony Bennett and Roland Mitchell from the '93 unit
    The defense continued to be a positive constant in 1995
    Although it finished 14th overall statistically, it closed out the season ranking fourth in fewest points allowed (314)
    Head Coach Mike Holmgren, for one, was able to put the 1993 performance in practical perspective
    White "made us a better football team - no question about it," Holmgren said, documenting this assertion by noting, "We went from 23 on defense (in the league as a whole) to two - with no noticeable dramatic personnel changes, except for one man."
    Still at the very top of his game after 13 years, White again saw his on-field superiority documented in 1997 by his selection to the Pro Bowl for an NFL-record 12th straight year, breaking a tie with the San Francisco 49ers' Jerry Rice (1986-96) and the Cincinnati Bengals' Anthony Munoz (1981-91) for the most consecutive times chosen since the 1970 league merger
    It also represented his fifth trip to the Pro Bowl in a Green Bay uniform, tying Willie Davis (1963-67) for the Packers' record for a defensive lineman
    He had received even more singular recognition for professional football's all-time sacks leader - his election to the National Football League's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in August of 1994
    In 1997, he continued his reign as the league's official all-time leader in quarterback sacks, notching 11 to increase his career total to 176.5 over his 13-year NFL tenure
    In the process, became only the second player in league history to post at least 10 sacks in each of 11 seasons (Buffalo's Bruce Smith had become the first earlier in '97)
    Is tied with Smith for the most career sacks in NFL postseason history, each having posted 12 in the playoffs
    Also ranks as the Packers' career sacks leader in the playoffs, having recorded 8 in a Green Bay uniform
    Has 52.5 sacks with the Packers during the regular season, placing him second on the club's all-time list (since sacks became an official NFL stat in 1982), behind only Tim Harris (55)
    Now has sacked 64 different quarterbacks over his NFL career, having added the Eagles' Ty Detmer and the Bills' Alex Van Pelt to his collection in 1997
    Earlier in his career, he had become the fastest player in league history to record 100 career sacks, reaching the century mark in only 93 games, 21 games faster than No. 2 Lawrence Taylor (114)
    One of the game's most durable performers, he missed a non-strike game for the first time in his career late in the 1995 season (Dec. 10 at Tampa Bay due to a hamstring problem), but was back at his customary stand the following week
    Had played in 166 consecutive 'union' contests to that point, one of the longest such streaks in NFL history
    The 36-year-old White is the only player in NFL history to register double-digit sack totals in nine consecutive seasons (1985 through 1993)
    He in 1993 also became the first Packers defensive end chosen for the Pro Bowl since Ezra Johnson in 1978
    Impressively productive since his selection by the Eagles as a first-round pick in the NFL's supplemental draft of USFL players in 1984, White has amassed 1,079 tackles (772 solo), including his 176.5 sacks
    He also has posted 3 interceptions, 51 passes defensed, forced 28 fumbles and recovered 20, two of the latter for touchdowns
    In addition, he has supplemented these contributions by registering 2 safeties and blocking 4 kicks (2 FGs, 1 PAT and 1 punt)
    The only player to be selected by Pro Football Weekly on its 1980s All-Decade team and also to be projected to its All-1990s team, he has customarily lined up at defensive end, but also has used his strength and speed to wreak havoc on blocking schemes from various positions along the line during his career
    Launched his pro career with the USFL's Memphis Showboats (1984-85), posting 193 tackles (120 solo), 23.5 sacks and forcing 7 fumbles in 34 starts

/\ source packers.com

career stats

Career Stats

NFL Statistics Year
    G/S UT AT Sacks Int Yds FR FF PD
    1985 Philadelphia 13/12 62 38 13 0 0 2 0 0
    1986 Philadelphia 16/16 83 15 18 0 0 0 1 5
    1987 Philadelphia 12/12 62 14 21 0 0 1 4 0
    1988 Philadelphia 16/16 96 37 18 0 0 2 1 0
    1989 Philadelphia 16/16 82 41 11 0 0 2 3 2
    1990 Philadelphia 16/16 59 24 14 1 33 1 4 4
    1991 Philadelphia 16/16 72 28 15 1 0 3 2 13
    1992 Philadelphia 16/16 54 27 14 0 0 1 3 2
    1993 Green Bay 16/16 67 31 13 0 0 2 3 2
    1994 Green Bay 16/15 41 18 8 0 0 1 2 7
    1995 Green Bay 15/13 37 9 12 0 0 0 2 4
    1996 Green Bay 16/16 21 15 8.5 1 46 3 3 6
    1997 Green Bay 16/16 36 10 11 0 0 2 0 6
    1998 Green Bay 16/16 33 12 16 0 0 0 4 5
    Totals 216/212 805 319 192.5 3 79 20 32 56
    Playoffs 19/18 47 4 12 0 0 0 1 1

Touchdowns: 2, 70-yard fumble return at Washington (9/13/87) and 37-yard fumble return at Phoenix (9/13/92)
    Safeties: 2, vs. Washington (12/8/85) and at New Orleans (1/3/93-postseason)
    Blocked Field Goals: 2, at N.Y. Giants (10/12/86) and vs. St. Louis Cardinals (12/7/86)
    Blocked PATs: 1, vs. Atlanta (10/30/88)
    Blocked Punts: 1, vs. Tampa Bay (10/27/96)

USFL Statistics Year
    G/S UT AT Sacks Int FR FF PD
    1984 Memphis 16/16 52 43 11 0 1 2 NA
    1985 Memphis 18/18 68 30 12.5 0 1 5 NA
    Totals 34/34 120 73 23.5 0 2 7 NA
    Playoffs 2/2 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Touchdowns: 1, 30-yard fumble return vs. Birmingham (5/3/85)

Most Sacks - NFL History (Compiled Since 1982)
    192.5 - REGGIE WHITE, Philadelphia 1985-92; Green Bay 1993-98
    164.0 - Bruce Smith, Buffalo 1985-98
    148.0 - Kevin Greene, L.A. Rams 1985-92; Pittsburgh 1993-95; Carolina 1996; San Francisco 1997; Carolina 1998
    137.5 - Richard Dent, Chicago 1983-93, 1995; San Francisco 1994; Indianapolis 1996; Philadelphia 1997
    132.5 - Lawrence Taylor, N.Y. Giants 1982-93
    128.0 - Rickey Jackson, New Orleans 1982-93; San Francisco 1994-95

Most Sacks - Packers History (Compiled Since 1982)
    68.5 - REGGIE WHITE, 1993-98
    55.0 - Tim Harris, 1986-90
    41.5 - Ezra Johnson, 1977-87
    36.0 - Tony Bennett, 1990-93
    32.5 - Bryce Paup, 1990-94

Most Sacks - Postseason - NFL History (Compiled Since 1982)
    12.0 - REGGIE WHITE, Philadelphia 1985-92; Green Bay 1993-98
    12.0 - Bruce Smith, Buffalo 1985-98
    11.0 - Charles Haley, San Francisco 1986-91; Dallas 1992-96; San Francisco 1998

Most Sacks - Postseason - Packers History (Compiled Since 1982)
    8.0 - REGGIE WHITE, 1993-98
    4.0 - Sean Jones, 1994-96
    4.0 - Keith McKenzie, 1996-97
    3.0 - Tony Bennett, 1990-93
    3.0 - LeRoy Butler, 1990-97
    3.0 - Bryce Paup, 1990-94

persional info

Given name Reginald Howard White
    Born in Chattanooga, Tenn.
    Married to Sara, couple has a son, Jeremy (born 5/12/86), and a daughter, Jecolia (born 5/24/88)
    Attended Howard High School in Chattanooga, where he lettered three times in football (as a nose tackle and tight end) and basketball and once in track
    Was an All-America choice in football and earned all-state selection in basketball
    Known nearly as well for his work in the community as for his football accomplishments, he was saluted by the National Football League Players' Association in 1992, when it conferred the prestigious 'Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award' upon him for his "service to team, community and country in the spirit of Supreme Court Justice Byron White"
    Was presented with the Simon Wiesenthal Center's 'Tolerance Award' in New York City in May of 1996, given to him "for his commitment to fostering tolerance and pursuing his vision for a better America"
    Also was named as the winner of the 1996 'Jackie Robinson Humanitarian Award'
    Working with community leaders, in April of 1997 launched Urban Hope Partnership, an effort to increase jobs, home ownership, entrepreneurship and education in Green Bay's central-city neighborhoods; program graduated its first two classes (25 and 30 members, respectively), during this past offseason
    Previously in 1995, he helped pioneer the Inner City Community Investment Corporation in Knoxville, Tenn. with a personal $1 million grant
    In its first year of operation, the corporation's Knoxville Community Development Bank distributed micro loans to 89 people who either were small business owners or individuals wanting to start a small business - borrowers generally regarded by other banks as "at risk"
    Had another busy offseason in 1998, as he appeared on several national television and radio programs, among them ABC-TV's 20/20 and CNN's Crossfire, and initiated several new projects
    In June, announced the launch of 'Reggie White Studios, Inc.,' a joint venture with several investors, including Richard Monfort, co-owner of baseball's Colorado Rockies, and Rodney Linafelter, CEO of the Dakota Corporation
    Studios will produce major motion pictures, made-for-TV movies and original television programming with a "family-safe" focus
    Along with his family, embarked on a "Wisconsin Pilgrimage Tour" this past March, a 10-day tour of the Holy Land
    White's family and 315 people traveled to the Middle East and visited such Holy sites as Jerusalem, the Sea of Galilee, Jericho and the Jordan River, where travelers had the opportunity to be baptized
    The Whites plan to cruise the Greek Islands in May of 1999 to follow the footsteps of St. Paul
    This past May, Reggie and his wife, Sara, became senior partners in the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution, a Virginia-based establishment that is involved with school choice, urban economic hope, revitalization of communities and the securing of people's basic rights
    In 1998, will serve as the spokesperson for 'Lifeline,' a Merivision long-distance telephone company that donates 10 percent of its proceeds to charities across the United States, with White's own proceeds being given to Urban Hope
    Has two new books coming out this fall, God's Playbook, a devotional bible written along with Steve Hubbard, and Complete Image of God, co-authored by Andrew Payton Thomas
    Also is scheduled to introduce a career memoir video, Why I Play the Game, a motivational documentary, with a soundtrack which will be available on CD
    A bean bag baby bearing his likeness also is set to be sold this fall
    An avid wrestling fan, he lost to former Chicago Bear and Green Bay Packer Steve McMichael in a WCW pay-per-view match in May of 1997
    Appeared as a gymnastics coach, coaching U.S. Olympian Kerry Strug, in a 1997 episode of CBS-TV's Touched By An Angel
    Earlier, had been a celebrity contestant on the television game show Jeopardy
    Along with teammate Brett Favre, appeared on a television commercial for Edge Shave Gel in 1997
    Opened his second retail store, 'One On Sport,' in Atlanta in July of 1997, after opening an initial football merchandise store, 'Reggie White's Pro Shop,' in Green Bay during the 1996 playoffs
    Also is an investor in two 18-hole golf courses, starting the second - 'Royal Oaks Golf Course' in Maryville, Tenn. - in the '97 offseason with a consortium of other NFL players past and present
    Had produced his autobiography, starred in a movie and filmed an instructional video during the 1996 offseason
    Penned his autobiography, entitled In the Trenches, in collaboration with Jim Denney, which was published in the fall of 1996, with a second edition that came out in September of 1997
    Beginning in May of 1996, filmed the movie Reggie's Prayer in Portland, Ore., a story about a professional football player who retires so he can work with at-risk teens
    The film, which was released to theaters early in 1997 and later, to home video, included actors Pat Morita, Cylk Cozart and Melba Joyce, in addition to NFL personalities Mike Holmgren, Favre, Keith Jackson, Bryce Paup, Gale Sayers, Rosey Grier, Jerome Bettis, William Roaf and Eddie George
    In another '96 offseason project, Reggie filmed an instructional video for defensive linemen
    During the 1989-92 seasons, Reggie spent his post-practice Friday afternoons on Philadelphia street corners, trying to educate area youngsters about the perils of drugs and alcohol as well as on the importance of staying in school
    An ordained minister, he has preached regularly in churches of various denominations and on the streets
    Is a member of The Inner City Church in Knoxville, Tenn., which was destroyed by fire during the early morning hours of Jan. 8, 1996, in an apparent case of arson
    Since that time, more than $230,000 of the approximately $1 million needed to rebuild has been raised from Wisconsin residents in a strong outpouring of support, with another $5,000 having been raised by Knoxville community leaders; the church re-opened this past spring
    Appeared on NBC-TV's Unsolved Mysteries program early in 1996 as the burning of his church was profiled
    A large portion of the proceeds from his 1991 book, The Reggie White Touch Football Playbook: Winning Plays, Rules and Safety Tips, was earmarked for the maternity home which he and Sara formerly maintained on their property
    His multiple off-the-field interests include a three-piece line of home fitness equipment, 'Reggie White's All-Pro Workout System'
    An impressionist of some note, he can "present" a highly credible Muhammad Ali, Rodney Dangerfield, Clint Eastwood, Elvis Presley and Bill Cosby
    He also can perform a realistic imitation of a growling guard dog
    Hobby: "spending time with my family"
    Residence: Green Bay

source packers.com

Being the only regular Wisconsinite here, I will tell you that he's been healthy and active for a long time, and the Packers (God blez der' zowls) were going to retire his number. And then just out of the blue he died. He was a big star in the second 'glory days,' the first being with Lombardi as coach, the latter being with Homegren. What a dissapointment. And you Karrmann, I htought you'd be a big Michigan fan........so why do you care?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

for your info esp ive been a Packer fan since I was 2. and they are my favorite team, I could care less about those lousy losin lions!
    Last edited by Karrmann; 12-28-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Services for Reggie White will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2004 from 3:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

A.L. Jinwright Funeral Services
    4300 Statesville Road
    Charlotte, NC 28269

In lieu of sending flowers, the White family asks that you make a donation to the Reggie White Foundation: click
    /\ source packers.com

reggie's bio:

Reggie White, the most-honored athlete ever to play defensive end in the National Football League's long history has had an illustrious career with both the Philadelphia Eagles, Green Bay Packers and Carolina Panthers. White has seen his talents, performance and persona elicit the ultimate in superlatives for more than a decade. He helped the Packers defeat New England in Super Bowl XXXI in January 1997 and led his team back to the Super Bowl in 1998. Reggie, a 6-5, 304 pound defensive end, has been voted to a record 12th straight Pro Bowl, the NFL's annual all-star game. Reggie, who put off plans for retirement, joined the Packers in 1993 after eight outstanding seasons in Philadelphia.

Reggie White was a consensus All-America in 1983 at Tennessee; 7-time All-NFL (1986-92) with Philadelphia; Reggie signed as a free agent with Green Bay in 1993; he played a key role in the Packers 1997 Super Bowl victory. White who retired after the 1999 season is the second all-time NFL leader in sacks behind Bruce Smith of the Redskins.

Green Bay defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur, openly admiring, has paid him the ultimate compliment, calling White "the cornerstone and foundation of this football team" Shurmur observed, "As we have seen with him over the years, whenever he has had some kind of a physical difficulty, that would put the average guy on the shelf, Reggie has played through an incredible array of injuries. Obviously, the leadership skills are unparalleled in this league. His impact on our team, on our fans, on our city and on our state is immeasurable. And when it comes to great football players, there's no question that he's probably the greatest to ever play the position. But, more significantly, I've never been around a guy who has more legitimate concerns for his fellow man and for bettering the place in society of his fellow man or for those who do not have the same kind of advantages we have. He's probably the most unselfish team player I've ever been around and it rubs off. If you were to look at one guy whose demeanor and whose mode of living is an example for all of us to follow, it's Reggie White. He leads by example better than any player I've been around, he's a great human being and a great football player."

These accolades having been delivered, there remains no way to adequately measure White's electrifying impact upon the defense in his five seasons as a Packer. His unit's performance in 1996, for prime example, offers an eloquent testimonial to his contributions. The Packers' defense - under White's leadership - reached the summit in '96, finishing as the NFL's top-ranked unit for the first time since 1967. White and his colleagues led the league in fewest points allowed and set an NFL record for fewest touchdowns allowed in a 16-game season. The Green Bay defense soared to second place in 1993 (from a distant 23rd the previous year), when the former Philadelphia Eagles superstar joined the Green and Gold as the most sought-after performer to become available with the advent of unrestricted free agency in the National Football League. It subsequently finished a highly-respectable sixth in 1994 despite the loss of three key starters from the '93 unit. The defense continued to be a positive constant in 1995. Head Coach Mike Holmgren, for one, was able to put the 1993 performance in practical perspective White "made us a better football team - no question about it," Holmgren said, documenting this assertion by noting, "We went from 23rd on defense (in the league as a whole) to 2nd - with no noticeable dramatic personnel changes, except for one man. "Still at the very top of his game after 13 years, White again saw his on-field superiority re-affirmed in 1997 by his selection to the Pro Bowl for an NFL-record 12th straight year. It also represented his fifth trip to the Pro Bowl in a Green Bay uniform tying Willie Davis (1963-67) for the Packers' record for a defensive lineman.

He received even more singular recognition for his outstanding career - his election to the National Football League's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team in August of 1994. White became only the second player in league history to post at least 10 sacks in each of 11 seasons (Buffalo's Bruce Smith had become the first earlier in '97). White is tied with Smith for the most career sacks in NFL postseason history, each having posted 12 in the playoffs. He also ranks as the Packers' career sacks leader in the playoffs and is second on the club's all-time sack list. Earlier in his career, he had become the fastest player in league history to record 100 career sacks, reaching the century mark in only 93 games, 21 games faster than No. 2 Lawrence Taylor (114). The 36-year-old White is the only player in NFL history to register double-digit sack totals in nine consecutive seasons.

One of the game's most durable performers, he missed a non-strike game for the first time in his career late in the 1995 season, but was back at his customary stand the following week. White had played in 166 consecutive 'union' contests to that point, one of the longest such streaks in NFL history. He in 1993 also became the first Packers defensive end chosen for the Pro Bowl since Ezra Johnson in 1978. Impressively productive since his selection by the Eagles as a first-round pick in the NFL's supplemental draft of USFL players in 1984, White has amassed a total of 1,079 tackles (772 solo). The only player to be selected by Pro Football Weekly on its 1980s All-Decade team and also to be projected to its All-1990s team.

Some of his accomplishments are:

Most-honored athlete ever to play defensive end in the NFL's history
    Voted to a NFL record 12th straight Pro Bowl
    11-time All-NFL
    Second all-time NFL leader in sacks
    Elected to NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
    Only 2nd player in NFL history to record a minimum of 10 sacks in each of 11 seasons
    Fastest player in league history to record 100 career sacks
    Only player in NFL history to register double-digit sack totals in nine consecutive seasons
    Tied for the most career sacks in NFL postseason history
    One of the longest consecutive games played streaks in NFL history
    Only player ever to be selected by Pro Football Weekly on its 1980s All-Decade team and be projected to its All-1990s team
    Played a key role in the Packers 1997 Super Bowl victory
    Certain NFL Hall of Famer as soon as he becomes eligible
    Consensus All-America in 1983 at the University of Tennessee

/\ source reggiewhitefoundation.org

an article about reggie.

It was 9:30 a.m. Sunday morning when the senior producer of CBS' NFL Today show came into a room I was sitting in with Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason and Shannon Sharpe and announced that Reggie White passed away earlier in the morning.

The first thought I had about the man I tried to recruit to the New York Jets was, "That's impossible." How could a man who seemed invincible on the football field and inspirational off the field be gone at such a young age?

I had the pleasure of knowing White from the days of battling the Packers to acquire his services, and whenever I saw him, we would talk about our time in New York with his agent, Jim Sexton. At the time, I asked White what the most important thing he was looking for above and beyond the football experience, and he said, "I'd like to save the planet."

White was a terrific human being who not only accepted the role model image so many athletes deny they are responsible for, but relished in helping people everywhere. Young players, poor people living on the streets of Philadelphia and unwed mothers who needed a place to raise their children were just some of the issues he was trying to lend a hand to when I knew him best.

I took him to a luncheon with some of the most concerned New Yorkers at a restaurant in Harlem in hopes of showing White why he could make the biggest impact if he came to New York. The people in the room on 125th Street that day all shared a very special experience with a man who inspired all of us and invigorated those at the table that they could get things done with or without him because of the energy inside them. He was amazing in so many ways. Humble, powerful and real were the thoughts that I had of him when we left that meeting.

Was there a football player who was better at what they did for their team than White? He took a defense ranked 23rd in the NFL when he arrived in Green Bay without any significant personnel changes and pulled it to the top of the league. He was the first big free agent in the NFL, and to this day may be the most important player ever signed.

When White spoke, people listened. While he was on his visit to the Jets, he held a press conference and a reporter asked him would he ever really consider joining the Jets. He said he would if they had a top quarterback like Boomer Esiason. We traded for Boomer the next day.

The last time I spoke with White was in the Packers' weight room a little over a year ago. I was surprised to see the retired defensive end at the facility. He was sitting on a bench talking to a young player about what it took to be a great Packer. It was great to see him back in Green Bay doing what he did best: lending a helping hand to anyone he thought needed his help.

When he decided not to join us at the Jets, a colleague of mine said that the missed opportunity probably changed my professional life. I really felt that whether he ever signed with us or not didn't matter. Just meeting the man and spending enough time with him to know that he meant it when he said he would like to save the planet changed me. I was just one of the lucky ones who had their life touched by a very special person who also happened to be a great football player.

source packers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    for your info esp ive been a Packer fan since I was 2. and they are my favorite team, I could care less about those lousy losin lions!
    Hahaha, your the kid at school that no one liked because they liked Green Bay and MSU, damn you people! GO LIONS and MICHIGAN!
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

I support Michigan, the Packers though are my fav pro team.

Even as a Cowboys fan I had respect for Reggie.
    Sad loss at a young age.
    Thoughts are with his family and friends
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It's always the good guys that die young R.I.P. Reggie, you'll be missed on and off the field.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    Hooray!

Someone at my school had the audacity to wear a Randy Moss jersey to exams.....he got hurt pretty bad

Matra, you're a Cowboy's fan???? Shame, shame....
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Thread Information