Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Porsche vs. London Congestion Charge

Most likely a Lexus RX400h.

Coz it' s hybrid. it's obviously saving the world.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Hm.. I wonder if the prime minister still gets charged £25 every time he gets in his long-wheelbase Jag XK8. Pathetic
    (Thanks to Coventrysucks for correcting me)

If they replaced every Black Cab in London with a bloody Cayenne V6, the air would be a helluva lot cleaner; so Ken, how about you sort out your problems before picking on people who can afford to drive their own cars, sort out the busses and taxis. Make them cleaner with the money you're stealing from the public and maybe there won't be so much furore, however ridiculous it is. At least that way we'll know you're doing somethin with our money, not just making more money for yourself.

In fact, I would write a letter to Transport for London (TfL), but i know it would fall on deaf ears, so instead i will complain about a crossing down my road which is hampering people trying to turn at a crossroads, causing damage to people's cars as people have big cars where i live. Why does London hate people with large cars so much when London's got worse problems which are self-inflicted.
    Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 02-21-2008 at 07:13 AM.

Well, you know, he is a 'De-humanized moron', he said so himself.
    "only a de-humanised moron would get rid of the Routemaster"
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

In other news Porsche is recalling 19.000 Cayennes...

Porsche to recall nearly 19,000 Cayenne SUVs - Autos - MSNBC.com

Sorry for highjacking, just thought the news didn't deserve a new thread.
    Zag when they Zig

Heres a problem that I see. So this congestion charge targets the owners of bigger vehicles, ok, I can see what they would like to happen. But at the same time, isnt there breaks for people carpooling? The whole idea of carpooling is that their are less cars on the road, hence less emissions. People who carpool need to fit a few adults in their car and therefore need a larger vehicle which gets hit by the congestion charge. I guess what's being said is that all of London should drive tiny little cars that two adults need to squeeze into. Hardly seems like the ideal solution.
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 02-20-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Heres a problem that I see. So this congestion charge targets the owners of bigger vehicles, ok, I can see what they would like to happen. But at the same time, isnt their breaks for people carpooling? The whole idea of carpooling is that their are less cars on the road, hence less emissions. People who carpool need to fit a few adults in their car and therefore need a larger vehicle which gets hit by the congestion charge. I guess what's being said is that all of London should drive tiny little cars that two adults need to squeeze into. Hardly seems like the ideal solution.
    This tax is applicable for cars that produce more than 225 grammes of CO2. Just as an example, my car produces about 175 and can still take the same amount of people as any posh SUV.....

Oh what!? So my Dad gets walloped by the new charge now yet his business partner with the bigger Avant model gets away with it because his is diesel?!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    But at the same time, isnt their breaks for people carpooling?
    No. There aren't.

Apparently there are some very interesting "Mini cabs" available now though.

Still; Londoners are not in a position to complain - they voted for him*. Twice.

They'll probably do it again this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer
    Ken "Two Jags" Livingstone
    Any relation to John "Two Jags" Prescott?

Here's a novel way of getting out of the congestion charge:

Don't drive throught the congestion charge zone on Mon - Fri between 0700h and 1800h.

HTH.

*Or, at least, failed to prevent him from winning by not voting on an alternative.
    Thanks for all the fish

Livingstone isn't interested in cars of any shape or size.
    He wants to get ALL cars off the roads of his mucky metropolis.
    THe guy's a crank !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Oh what!? So my Dad gets walloped by the new charge now yet his business partner with the bigger Avant model gets away with it because his is diesel?!
    rightly so

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Any relation to John "Two Jags" Prescott?

Don't drive throught the congestion charge zone on Mon - Fri between 0700h and 1800h.
    Schoolboy Error! Good job i'm a schoolboy, eh? *Edited*

A lot of people can't help but drive through the congestion charging zone, so that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say in response to the charge.
    Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 02-21-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    Schoolboy Error! Good job i'm a schoolboy, eh? *Edited*
    Well, I don't know what Ken drives so I wasn't sure if he'd taken on Jabba's title.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    A lot of people can't help but drive through the congestion charging zone, so that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say in response to the charge.
    Of course a lot of people can avoid driving in the zone, or avoid it altogether if they wanted too, but, rather than seeking alternatives, they'd rather volunteer to pay up and complain about it.

I manage to avoid it just fine, and I stuggle to think of a situation where I would have absolutely no alternative but to drive a car through the CC zone.

I don't agree with the charge, and I don't agree with the emissions charge, but I have a realistic view of the situation.

The charge only exists because the public is willing and able to pay it. And because people choose to pay, I find it difficult to take their subsequent complaints too seriously.

If you choose to live and work in London (which I do) then you have to accept the charges, along with the low flying 'planes, tube trains that smell of wee and the occasional Cockney.

If you want green rolling fields, low house prices and no congestion charges - move into the 99.9998% of Great Britain that is outside the zone.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information