Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: things heating up in south america

things heating up in south america

FOXNews.com - Ecuador Follows Chavez in Deploying Troops to Colombia Border - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Im sure chavez is just sabre rattling but it seems like things are getting quite a bit worse down there. any thoughts?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

What Colombia did was remarkable if you ask me. Kill all those bastards.... Chavez is just eager to show muscle and show off with his recently-purchased weaponry while his country dies of hunger.

What a !@#$^&&&^%#

can someone sum up whats been going on in that region latley ? cause I have no clue...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

yeah what is going on- so Colombia killed some bad guys over a border- it wasn't at Velenzuela offical forces- what do they care-
    or is Chavez trying to pick a fight in the name of Bolivar's vision?

They didn't kill a Venezuelan and it didn't happen on Venezuelan soil.... To add a bit to it, it was a freaking guerrilla leader!!

Chavez is just NUTS, he's the biggest douche down there.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    You guys fail to understand the corruption inherent in the situation.

This happened in Ecuador, against a militant group. What makes it especially important is that its been shown that this militant group has close ties with the government of Ecuador.

Now, why the heck is Chavez going bonkers? Either he's doing his standard strong talk with little action thing(columbia has pretty close ties to the United States), or perhaps the corruption is international, if you know what I mean.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    can someone sum up whats been going on in that region latley ? cause I have no clue...
    what happened is that the second leader from the FARC (Colombian Guerilla) got killed but in Ecuador's territory so Chavez got pretty angry and he wants to mobilize to the border because of this also the president of Ecuador is stating that they need to respect the borders but in my opinion they did well by killing this person
    Last edited by hec16; 03-03-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

and then...

Colombian government has found info in the computers found at the camp that involve the Venezuelan and Ecuadorian government with helping the FARC. The say the found documents that prove that Venezuela has or was going to finance them with USD $300 Million, and that the Ecuadorian government officials met with FARC officials, and basically where negotiating with them, even offering to change the police and military officials that weren't helping the FARC in their zone of influence.

It's good to remember here that it has been proved a number of times that the FARC has been, and is involved to date, with drug smuggling, kidnapping, forcing kids to serve as soldiers, and not respecting basic war protocols. So basically Ecuador and Venezuelan governments are involved with the "Taliban" of South America.

Also, a few weeks ago about 7 million of the local population (44 million total) marched against the FARC, and until a few weeks ago the Colombian president enjoyed a 80% plus popularity, basically for his all out war against the Colombian guerrilla, which has been around for more than 40 years now.

Some pills:

On his traditional sunday speech Chavez spared a minute of silence for the Guerrilla leader that was killed, meanwhile the Colombian president gave honors to a soldier that was killed in the combat.
    Ecuador's president declared the Guerrillas forces where assasianted while they where sleeping in a makeshift campsite that they built for the night. From the video that they showed on TV it was clear the "makeshift" campsite had a microwave oven (which means some kind of power source), built-in basic cooking facilities, and even bunkers. Those guys sure are efficient building wise... Also, I didn't know if you killed a terrorist while sleeping it was a crime...

And, no harm at all was done to any ecuadorians, and clearly the Colombian forces went in only after the colombian guerrillas, but they are assuming we violated the soberanity.

Latest news is Ecuador has broke all diplomatic relations with Colombia and that Venezuela bought in the black market at least 50 Kg of uranium.

If you ask me, it would be stupid for two such poor countries to go to war, and in a clear stand, Colombia is not sending any extra forces towards the borders while Venezuela and Ecuador are. So let's pray either of them don't actually attack us first...

More news as they come...
    Last edited by magracer; 03-03-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

what are the chances of anything escalating to say full war/border clashes?

So basically Ecuador and Venezuelan governments are involved with the "Taliban" of South America.
    america helped the real taliban in afghanistan against the soviet's in the 70's, so it comes as no surprise other governments have/are/will do the same..

Also, Would other countries be drawn into this? or would it stay contained?

I dont know the reigon or its political volatility enough to know these above questions, however I'm curious..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Chavez has been rallying heavily against the USA for quite a bit now, and has put Colombia and namely it's presdent as the key ally in the region. I think only Ecuador, Bolivia (as in brilliant Evo Morales at the helm) and Nicaragua (as in ex-guerrilla leader Ortega at the helm) would support Chavez. As for support to Colombia, I think it would be safe to say that we would be backed up by the Americans.

A friend of mine works for the Colombian Ministry of Defense, just talked to him and he says there is no chance this will escalate to a war. Things are prety calm at his office... plus if you think about it, there is no apparent economic interest in this war (only ideologic), so it would make no sense for any us to actually go at it. As I always say, only time will tell.

What I really really fear, is to think that we would get attacked by Ecuador and Venezuela from the border and the Guerrillas from the inside... that would be really difficult to repel!
    Last edited by magracer; 03-03-2008 at 05:12 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Chavez is making a big display, but he'd be functionally retarded to try anything. If he were to assault Columbia, he'd swiftly find himself out of power. Columbia didn't move their troops because they don't have to, and not getting all defensive about Venezuela's 'display of power' is sort of a slap in the face to Chavez. Like 'yeah? try it, lol'
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    Chavez is making a big display, but he'd be functionally retarded to try anything. If he were to assault Columbia, he'd swiftly find himself out of power. Columbia didn't move their troops because they don't have to, and not getting all defensive about Venezuela's 'display of power' is sort of a slap in the face to Chavez. Like 'yeah? try it, lol'
    well said. i think columbia is kind of "being the bigger man" in this situation.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Colombia was wrong to cross the border without notifying Ecuador. I think Chavez sees this as an attack on weaker nations by a US backed country, kind if like how the Arab world sees Israel...

Both Colombia and Ecuador are "discarding" an eventual war between them.
    But Venezuela has closed its borders with Colombia, and Venezuelan troops are on the move.

Correa (Ecuador's president) is in Peru, and has gotten Peruvian Alán García (a foe of Chávez) to demand (Colombian president) Uribe to apologize to the Ecuadorian people. Correa's next stop is Caracas.
    Chile's Bachelet used softer words: "Colombia owes an explanation to Ecuador". Bush has pledged "total support" for Colombia.

There will be a Latin American summit in Rio on Friday.

Its looking a lot like the Middle East...

Thread Information