Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear 2008

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    you can't really comment on a car driving motorway and public road that you don't know....though I guess that never stops a car reviewer from doing so....
    It would have been nice to have a little more stance. I'm aware he didn't know any of the roads and I'm sure it was very difficult, but at the same time, I'm sure he could have said more.

are they going to review the 997 GT2 this season?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    are they going to review the 997 GT2 this season?
    i don't think they are but thats one of the few parts of the series that they never really preview, the actual reviewing of cars. they only normally preview their big race or adventure.

here's a preview of this weeks show:

TGTV: show 5 preview

Just back from the studio show where the telly boys do their magic, and we're armed with news of this Sunday's antiques-roadshow-whupping programme.

It turns out that Clarkson wasn't entirely happy with last week's factory limited GT-R, because even though it beat the bullet train it didn't exactly destroy whole sections of the Japanese countryside, or spray power stations with deadly fire breath.

Like we'd expected it to.

So Jeremy takes it out for another spin on this week's show, this time however he is taking it to a place with no traffic, no speed cameras, no police and most importantly no speed limiter!

Where could that be? And no, it's not the M6 toll road.

A not very little known fact is that Jeremy and James are two men divided in their opinions on almost everything.

Politics, religion, cars and cheese are just a few of the things that they argue about in the rehearsals alone.

What they do agree on though is that they both want to drive some old school luxury, and unbeknown to each other, while they were off air, they both bought a couple of classic luxury cars.

Upon hearing this, the show producers decided that it would be a good idea to send the two of them off to compare their purchases.

Oh, and did we mention that they don't often agree...?

Continuing the theme of luxury cars this week's guests both own Maybachs (they also own mansions, luxury yachts and some Reggae Reggae sauce). They are two of the Dragons from BBC Two's Dragons Den - Theo Paphitis and Peter Jones.

Renowned for being competitive with each other in the Den, this week's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car challenge is no different.

Not that we are ones to get political but most of the time banning stuff doesn't really lead to much fun (unless it's banning crocodile Dundee style hunting knives). This time however the banning of Fox Hunting and the curtailing of countryside off-roading gets turned into a brilliant new sport...

And don't forget The Stig, who's dried off from last week, but unfortunately forgot to wash so now he stinks of mold.

But that didn't stop him from diving into the GT-R; a car that has been a giant killer around the Nurburgring, but will it cut the mustard on the only track that actually matters?

So, BBC Two, Sunday, 8pm. Be there.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

Best Episode of the season.....that bit with the Germans were brilliant....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Best Episode of the season.....that bit with the Germans were brilliant....
    Arriving in the Spitfires was just epic. The Atom in the Atom was neat too.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

When is Top Gear USA coming out?

I gotta see this latest episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    The Atom in the Atom was neat too.
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What does that mean?
    "Atom in the atom" was supposed to mean Richard Hammond being small in stature; hence, the 'atom', driving a supercharged Ariel 'Atom'.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Wow, finished the last episode. Didn't expect the series to be so short.

This series was really boring compared to last season's.

Seems like they are running out of ideas.

I wonder how the England-Germany challenge looked on the German "Top Gear"... any germans around?
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer View Post
    I wonder how the England-Germany challenge looked on the German "Top Gear"... any germans around?
    Apparently it won't be aired until September.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

well top gear may have 'won' but then they technically cheated, so everyone's happy. If anyone takes it that retardedly serious, that is.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Another season of top gear finished and another series where a few cars I really want to see test driven, were not. Although full of the same tom foolery, its seemed more and more staged then in previous seasons. Possibly because they are simply running out of ideas and possibly because the season was so short, causing them to try and fit as much stuff in as possible. I for one enjoyed seasons prior to season 11 because the latest season seemed so "rushed", and by rushed I mean trying to do too many things at once. I prefer when they try to focus on one whatever an episode. Such as trying to cross the english channel, or finding the best driving road. The "theme of the night" sort. However, there were a few things I really enjoyed; which supercar is the most economical, the Alfa challenge.

Here are my top five cars I wish to see test driven in the next season.
    1. Saleen S7 (TT or NA)
    2. Koenigsegg CCGT
    3. SSC Ultima Aero (just how does it handle in the bends)
    4. Corvette ZR1
    5. And as always, but probably never happen, a review and comparison of the '98 GT1 road cars.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Another season of top gear finished and another series where a few cars I really want to see test driven, were not. Although full of the same tom foolery, its seemed more and more staged then in previous seasons. Possibly because they are simply running out of ideas and possibly because the season was so short, causing them to try and fit as much stuff in as possible. I for one enjoyed seasons prior to season 11 because the latest season seemed so "rushed", and by rushed I mean trying to do too many things at once. I prefer when they try to focus on one whatever an episode. Such as trying to cross the english channel, or finding the best driving road. The "theme of the night" sort. However, there were a few things I really enjoyed; which supercar is the most economical, the Alfa challenge.

Here are my top five cars I wish to see test driven in the next season.
    1. Saleen S7 (TT or NA)
    2. Koenigsegg CCGT
    3. SSC Ultima Aero (just how does it handle in the bends)
    4. Corvette ZR1
    5. And as always, but probably never happen, a review and comparison of the '98 GT1 road cars.
    Yeah, it seemed over very quick. And then there wasn't anything special about it. The stuntman seemed to be just random filler just because they couldn't find real material. And the Celebrity in a Reasonably Priced Car I usually just skip over too all the time because I don't know who they are. That in itself takes up about 15 minutes of a show. I understand that they can't always have celebrities that everyone knows, so I put that aside. But, I wouldn't mind at all if they went back and reviewed regular cars, like the Fiat 500 or some family car or some important cars from the past (classics, like the M5 and such), or do a history of an automaker for some episodes. Or go through the process of explaining a piece of equipment seriously- for a change. They had a balance of batshit craziness and seriousness that I enjoyed in the past that they seemed to have missed in this season.

And what 98 GT1 road cars are you talking about? The CLK GTR and the 911 GT1?

The new season starts in the fall, so I'm sure it will be epic.

Thread Information