Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Could they make the Pontiac GTO any worse?

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    The F-bodies are no more a better car though, maybe more GTO's would sell if drag racing severely outweighed circuit racing as far as popularity goes. I guess we're lucky enough over here that if you want a dedicated drag car, simply get one of the one tonners and there goes half your issues wih the car sagging its arse on launch
    I woudnt say they're better, but almost (or maybe just) as good. And like I said thier considerably cheaper since they're used cars. (hell im getting an LS1 F-body for around $10-13K hopefully with 50K miles or less.)
    But personally me, I love the Monaro, and if I was in the market for a new 30K car, that would be my pick(6 speed black, mmmm )

The chassis dynamics of the Monaro/GTO would shit all over the F-bodies, but as i pointed to before, thats only a worrying issue when your throwing it around a track, not trying to get over 300hp to the ground through 2 wheels for 400-402m. But even then a decent rollcage can get around that
    I am the Stig

ok, what body are we talking about? just use it once without the abreviation "f body", ok?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

The chassis dynamics of the Monaro/GTO would shit all over the F-bodies, but as i pointed to before, thats only a worrying issue when your throwing it around a track, not trying to get over 300hp to the ground through 2 wheels for 400-402m. But even then a decent rollcage can get around that
    From what I hear the Monaro chassis is derived from(or the same chassis as) the Cadillac catera, truly nothing to brag about...
    But yes, the f-bodies chassis were old, but that doesnt mean they were not good track cars (more than strait line racing.) I know very many people who auto-X with their f-cars and put down some good times.
    Ive driven a few Camaros, they are truly underrated cars when it comes to anything but acceleration and stopping. Im not saying they're award winng, but they just dont get credit.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    ok, what body are we talking about? just use it once without the abreviation "f body", ok?
    F-body is the chassis name for the Camaro and Firebird.

Like DSM represents the same chassis used by the eclipse, talon, and laser.

oh, its just "f"? cause i was thinking more the fox body in the ford area and that f was the abreviation

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    oh, its just "f"? cause i was thinking more the fox body in the ford area and that f was the abreviation
    Yes, the name is just "F." For example another GM platform shared are the "W" bodies, thats the impala and monte carlo.

wow, ok, now i actually know what boyd you 2 are talking about, maybe ill join in

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    From what I hear the Monaro chassis is derived from(or the same chassis as) the Cadillac catera, truly nothing to brag about...
    But yes, the f-bodies chassis were old, but that doesnt mean they were not good track cars (more than strait line racing.) I know very many people who auto-X with their f-cars and put down some good times.
    Ive driven a few Camaros, they are truly underrated cars when it comes to anything but acceleration and stopping. Im not saying they're award winng, but they just dont get credit.
    Well the Monaro's built from the same chassis the Commodore's on, which many people think is derived from the Opel Omega but no one seems certain.
    I am the Stig

Well the Monaro's built from the same chassis the Commodore's on, which many people think is derived from the Opel Omega but no one seems certain.
    I was right, it is the catera.
    I read the mustang vs GTO article in car and driver when i got it in the mail.
    here: "As in the Mustang, a near-luxury-sedan platform underpins the GTO-it's a massaged version of the Cadillac Catera architecture."
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8908

Well that'd be the first time ive seen it refered to as based off the Catera, everyone over here links it to the Omega. And even then, its fairly basic things with the rest HEAVILY modified
    I am the Stig

This is straight from holden's own mouth,
    The Commodore is There own platform, they tried to build it off the omega and in the end used it to build there own bigger and and better platform, It is so highly modified now it's not even the omegas son or daughter maybe a cousin. Longer wheelbase wider higher longer. And they call it the V. They were 12 months away from importing the Omega into the country and got a brain wave to try and modify it's platform, That failed so they just built it from scratch still usesing it as there guide only better.
    The earlier VN-VS were so much Omega. So what is the omega based off, If it's based off the catera there is the answer.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I wouldnt be surprised if the Omega and Catera are the same, simply the Catera was how the US got it. But yeah hw youve put it there slick is about how it is, used more for inspiration.
    I am the Stig

Holden does that use heaps of other stuff to make what they like
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

i think lots of people do actually, i wouldnt be surprised if Ford choses to make a new Crown Vic, they use the Falcon for inspiration if they dont simply take the Falcon anyway. Theyve got a couple of other RWD platforms they can work with like DEW98 and DEWlite (i think thats what theyre called) though
    I am the Stig

Thread Information