View Poll Results: Rate the 'Boring Factor' of the VE. **1 star being the MOST boring**

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll

15 15.63%

15 15.63%

12 12.50%

9 9.38%

5 5.21%
  • Screw you Adrenaline, this car ROCKS!!

40 41.67%
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New VE Pictures. Is it a Commodore or a Falcon???

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Havent they confirmed the Camry will only be sold in 4cyl form locally with the new model?
    Yeah i was confused at first too... if you read carefully it says the new car is the replacement of the v6 camry and avalon

Yes, Toyota Australia is release the Camry only as a 4-clyinder. They will leave the six clyinder market to the larger car.
    The US Avalon does look pretty good - a grill change and some other tweaks and it will suit the Australian market.
    Also, just read the 3.5 litre V6 may have 200kW.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Yes, Toyota Australia is release the Camry only as a 4-clyinder. They will leave the six clyinder market to the larger car.
    The US Avalon does look pretty good - a grill change and some other tweaks and it will suit the Australian market.
    Also, just read the 3.5 litre V6 may have 200kW.
    they'll sell like hotcakes if they have 200kw

the US version has 268hp which = 199.85kw so that sounds like it could be true

Seems everyone is really looking forward to the VE and assuming it will be the best of the local Aussie sixes. We're all forgetting one car - which will be built in Australia - which doesn't have the hype surrounding it and may turn out to be the surprise of 2006.
    That car is to be shown at the Melbourne Motor Show and will be launched in August-September at the same time as the VE. Of course I'm referring to the replacement for the Toyota Camry V6 and Avalon - whatever name Toyota Australia will give it. Not much is known about this car expect that it will be based on the chassis of the US Avalon, will be front wheel drive, has been heavily Australianised and will be powered by a 3.5 litre V6 with similar power to the other three six clyinder cars built in Australia. Even the styling is a bit of a mystery - though probably similar to the US Avalon.
    Other than the VE, this will be the most important new car release this year - and there's no hype surrounding it - which could be a good thing. May be much, much better than we expect.
    To be fair the Avalon no matter how it manifests itself will not usurp the Commodore or the Falcon such is the ingrained loyalty to those brands. It would have to be manifestly better or at least rear wheel drive and offer genuine performance models as opposed to alloys and rear spoiler.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    they'll sell like hotcakes if they have 200kw

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    or they should....

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    or they should....
    I owned a Camry and it was a reliable and good car. Bland and boring but perfect family transport. A 200kw front wheel drive Avalon is a conundrum. A sensible comfortable smooth family car with a lot (comparatively) of power. Will “sensible shoes” buyers care or even desire a high powered car like this? I don’t really know what Mitsubishi and Toyota can do to attract traditional Commodore and Falcon buyers and I’m glad I don’t have to work it out for them.

Toyota are likely to keep providing Avalons ready for taxi service so thats at least one possible source of buyer. Maybe theyre developing an AWD system for some performance models. Toyota keep talking about it but they dont seem to be actually doing anything about it.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I owned a Camry and it was a reliable and good car. Bland and boring but perfect family transport. A 200kw front wheel drive Avalon is a conundrum. A sensible comfortable smooth family car with a lot (comparatively) of power. Will “sensible shoes” buyers care or even desire a high powered car like this? I don’t really know what Mitsubishi and Toyota can do to attract traditional Commodore and Falcon buyers and I’m glad I don’t have to work it out for them.
    what makes this new car automatically bland?

Perhaps we should wait for the new big Toyota to be launched (its NOT going to be called Avalon) before we bag it. Its flown under the radar so to speak, but may turn out to be very good.
    Also, unlike Mitsubishi, Toyota doesn't need to worry about sales. Existing Camry V6 buyers, old Magna buyers, those upgrading to a larger car from mid-size cars such as Mazda6s, those downgrading from Prados and the like, and anyone aware of Toyota's reputation for building realibily and high quality cars will buy the new car. Toyota doesn't need buyers of Commodores or Falcons to swap. Any buyers it picks up will be additional to those it can already expect.
    The old Camry 4 is still the top selling medium car in Australia. Not sure how many Camrys sell with the V6, but its quite a few (much more than 380 or the old Magna). The new Camry will be Toyota's bread and butter car along with the Corolla. The new larger unnamed car will be there to get the buyers mentioned above and fill the price gap between the Camry and the Lexus IS250 in the price charts.
    Lets not forget Toyota is the top selling manufacturer in Australia. I expect both the Camry 4 and the new six will both sell comfortably in the top ten each month - Camry will be top five, the larger car at the bottom of the top 10. Add the Corolla (new one is due), Prado, Landcruiser and Yaris,
    all of which sell in or just outside the top 10 each month, and one can see why Toyota sells more cars than anyone else. The new Camry/large six will do very well.
    My point earlier was to suggest that while it won't outsell the VE, the new V6 Toyota may turn out to be a better all round car than the VE Commodore - and we can't dismiss that possibility until both are released to the market.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-23-2006 at 03:53 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Perhaps we should wait for the new big Toyota to be launched (its NOT going to be called Avalon) before we bag it. Its flown under the radar so to speak, but may turn out to be very good.
    Also, unlike Mitsubishi, Toyota doesn't need to worry about sales. Existing Camry V6 buyers, old Magna buyers, those upgrading to a larger car from mid-size cars such as Mazda6s, those downgrading from Prados and the like, and anyone aware of Toyota's reputation for building realibily and high quality cars will buy the new car. Toyota doesn't need buyers of Commodores or Falcons to swap. Any buyers it picks up will be additional to those it can already expect.
    The old Camry 4 is still the top selling medium car in Australia. Not sure how many Camrys sell with the V6, but its quite a few (much more than 380 or the old Magna). The new Camry will be Toyota's bread and butter car along with the Corolla. The new larger unnamed car will be there to get the buyers mentioned above and fill the price gap between the Camry and the Lexus IS250 in the price charts.
    Lets not forget Toyota is the top selling manufacturer in Australia. I expect both the Camry 4 and the new six will both sell comfortably in the top ten each month - Camry will be top five, the larger car at the bottom of the top 10. Add the Corolla (new one is due), Prado, Landcruiser and Yaris,
    all of which sell in or just outside the top 10 each month, and one can see why Toyota sells more cars than anyone else. The new Camry/large six will do very well.
    My point earlier was to suggest that while it won't outsell the VE, the new V6 Toyota may turn out to be a better all round car than the VE Commodore - and we can't dismiss that possibility until both are released to the market.
    agreed, for anyone interested, check out the www.toyota.com - the top end avalon looks pretty luxurious, includes intelligent cruise control, which no other aussie large car can boast.

Not only that, but Toyota export more cars from local production than they sell here.
    I am the Stig

A) the Avalon is no longer being manufactured in it's current form; all models are run-outs.
    B) What's Intelligent Cruise control, and how does it work?
    C) Rumour has it that the new model will either be called Presara or mark a return for the Classic Cressida.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Cressida has history in the country so it could work. Trouble is, that history is for being a grandpa car.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information