Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy thread

21mpg at 65-75mph? That's bad.

Mazda gets 34mpg at 70-80mph.

Is the Acura a V6?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I do "hypermiling lite".

Firstly, I use a plug n play display called the Ultragauge (there's another on the market called ScanGauge. Both plug into the OBDII port and display various ancillary gauges. The UG in my case has 44 different functions available to display, I choose to have it display TPS (basically how far I have the throttle open), RPM, engine coolant temp, instantaneous MPG, trip MPG (basically from when the car is started to when it's shut down), tank mpg, fuel level, and distance to empty. As a bonus, it's an OBDII code reader so I can pull codes or kill the light when I need to. This allows you to get instant feedback on how the car is running and how your driving affects MPG. So far this has netted me about 2-3mpg since I hooked it up after receiving it for X-mas.

My basic techniques are to keep throttle input low and learn where the shift points are so I can massage how much gas I give it. I don't practice shutting the engine off (couldn't as the a/t isn't flat towable), but I do kick it into neutral and let it glide down hills and up to red lights and such. And of course little things such as gathering speed on a downhill to bleed going back uphill are a big help too. I can't be bothered to use the advanced techniques, even though they work.
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-14-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    21mpg at 65-75mph? That's bad.

Mazda gets 34mpg at 70-80mph.

Is the Acura a V6?
    Inline 5 and it's not new, built in 1995.

The fuel efficiency of the V6... with none of the power.

I do like its oddballness though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I do "hypermiling lite".

Firstly, I use a plug n play display called the Ultragauge (there's another on the market called ScanGauge. Both plug into the OBDII port and display various ancillary gauges. The UG in my case has 44 different functions available to display, I choose to have it display TPS (basically how far I have the throttle open), RPM, engine coolant temp, instantaneous MPG, trip MPG (basically from when the car is started to when it's shut down), tank mpg, fuel level, and distance to empty. As a bonus, it's an OBDII code reader so I can pull codes or kill the light when I need to. This allows you to get instant feedback on how the car is running and how your driving affects MPG. So far this has netted me about 2-3mpg since I hooked it up after receiving it for X-mas.

My basic techniques are to keep throttle input low and learn where the shift points are so I can massage how much gas I give it. I don't practice shutting the engine off (couldn't as the a/t isn't flat towable), but I do kick it into neutral and let it glide down hills and up to red lights and such. And of course little things such as gathering speed on a downhill to bleed going back uphill are a big help too. I can't be bothered to use the advanced techniques, even though they work.
    Wow, that's quite cool. How much is it?

I need to work on my throttle control.

Ultragauge is $70 plus has a $10 rebate; it has loads more functionality and a better form factor but it's made in China and is not by any means easy to use. Scangauge is more basic in terms of what it's capable of, but made in the USA and easier to use and retails for $160 or so.

Here's a pic of my mileage log I keep. I post on this site as well under the same handle:

Or, alternately, for a little humour:
    Last edited by jcp123; 04-14-2013 at 02:45 PM.

46,4mpg (5,07l/100km) into work today. Tank average stands at 41,3mpg (5,7l.100km).

46,4mpg (5,07l/100km) into work today. Tank average stands at 41,3mpg (5,7l.100km).
    Ok, you can stop showing off now.

Wow, that's quite an awesome device.

Well not all my trips are that good...ran some errands and the individual legs ran from about 29mpg to about 39...that's what keeps my tank average lower than when cruising into work which is my most favourable drive.

According to the R-Class' trip computer and the Googster, I get 12.7L/100km (whatever that is) aka 7.9 km/L (this should be the way), 22.2 mpg imp. 18.5 mpg US.

Not too bad for something of its size.

Not too bad for something of its size.
    It's big, it's fat, and it is getting tiresome to drive as to make it "go" it makes an inordinate amount of noise. The diesel really feels wheezy.

I want a diesel V8 for the M/G/GL/dearly departed R. Benz offered a CDI 4L V8 recently in some models.

IIRC the V8 diesel was discontinued by Daimler ages ago. Its place has been taken by high output versions of the V6 engine.

And yes, the NVH of a diesel ruins everything...
    Visca Catalunya!

They aren't so bad these days. Not compared to the '79 Mercedes diesel I have mentioned elsewhere...lightyears ahead of that one, so I consider diesels as good as anything else.

Though I do so passionately hate DPF's.

They aren't so bad these days. Not compared to the '79 Mercedes diesel I have mentioned elsewhere...lightyears ahead of that one, so I consider diesels as good as anything else.
    Indeed they have improved. But the diesel clatter has not disappeared completely. Altough there might be some exceptions, in general a petrol engine still is always smoother, quieter, better sounding than a diesel.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Indeed they have improved. But the diesel clatter has not disappeared completely. Altough there might be some exceptions, in general a petrol engine still is always smoother, quieter, better sounding than a diesel.
    define "better"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I have a love/hate relationship with diesels today...modern diesels are pretty transparent to most people in terms of NVH. But damn, the greenies have mandated so many emissions standards on them that not only has their efficiency slid back a little bit, they have also become much more costly to maintain.

Thread Information