Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Karting Experience

My First Karting Experience

As a present, my parents are sending me karting some time in January.
    Do you guys have any advice for me about how to drive, what to bring etc?
    I beleive the karts will be single speed and two-stroke.
    I am going to CalSpeed Karting in Fontana. For those who live close by, has anyone been there?

BTW, mods, I wasn't sure if this should go in racing or miscellaneous, so feel free to move it.

EDIT: Track layout is attached, for anyone who cares.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 12-30-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Usually if there is required equipment they rent/supply it there. I'd call them just to make sure.
    Hit the apexes of the turns, try to learn the track, and find the limits of the karts.

Its hard to know the details about the track by a 2d map, but here's what I think would be a good starting point for the turns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thanks for the map.
    The track is providing the helmet, jumpsuit, gloves, kart etc...
    Does karting work up an apetite? I think I'll be there for about 6 hours, will I be drained afterwards?

i looked at their site, looks very nice. much nicer than the indoor karting i have done. its in the parking lot for california speedway in fontana, so it should be very flat. i would try and learn the apexes, and how to handle the kart on the edge of its handling. they can be tricky, especially under trail braking. dont know what they provide, but if its an all day thing, you really will need to bring some bottled water. it gets miserable out there on the tarmac, even in winter. a hat is also a good thing to bring.

are you doing an endurance event, or just a straight race? either way you will probably have some sore ribs in the morning. karts corner very violently, and they almost always have hard plastic seats. if they have rib pads, dont feel like youre being a pussy for using them, you will appreciate them.

do you have your own helmet? sometimes they give out pretty crappy ones, but its better than none. if you have a friend that rides motorcycles then see if you can use him. guarantee its nicer than what they have.

just my 2c. im jealous, sounds like a blast. (stand by for my Laguna Seca post later tonight probably.) and the racing forum seems fine to me.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

A few lines I'd take differently.

But thats a starting point for sure.

Trust the kart, you'll find your limits before you finds its' im sure.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'm sure that depends on the weather, you, etc. I'd bring some stuff to eat/drink. All I've done is indoor karting at night for a few hours. :P
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i looked at their site, looks very nice. much nicer than the indoor karting i have done. its in the parking lot for california speedway in fontana, so it should be very flat. i would try and learn the apexes, and how to handle the kart on the edge of its handling. they can be tricky, especially under trail braking. dont know what they provide, but if its an all day thing, you really will need to bring some bottled water. it gets miserable out there on the tarmac, even in winter. a hat is also a good thing to bring.
    It should be good, a teacher of mine who is a keen autoXer and amatuer racer reccommended it to me. I've never driven at 10/10ths before so I will probably be pretty ginger at first, but I think IT should be fun.
    are you doing an endurance event, or just a straight race? either way you will probably have some sore ribs in the morning. karts corner very violently, and they almost always have hard plastic seats. if they have rib pads, dont feel like youre being a pussy for using them, you will appreciate them.
    I think we will do 2-3 short heats, and then a 1hr enduro. When my mom was in college she knew a kid who paralyzed himself in a kart, so I will be wearing all the safety equipment I can.
    do you have your own helmet? sometimes they give out pretty crappy ones, but its better than none. if you have a friend that rides motorcycles then see if you can use him. guarantee its nicer than what they have.
    Unfortunately don't know any local bikers. I'll make do with the helmets provided, I guess...

just my 2c. im jealous, sounds like a blast. (stand by for my Laguna Seca post later tonight probably.) and the racing forum seems fine to me.
    Should be awesome.

Last time I went karting (in Thailand) they were super fast and super fun.. and a bit exhausting, so definately take some food along. They also cornered about as fast as as they went in a straight line, so push those limits hard.. you might fly off the track a couple of times, but it's all good fun. Also, if there's an option between close helmets and open ones, go with closed ones.. at top speed, it's easier to breathe. If the karts are that fast anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    A few lines I'd take differently.

But thats a starting point for sure.

Trust the kart, you'll find your limits before you finds its' im sure.
    definately. we must try willowbank next time
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

One bit of advice i always follow is to go in hard in corners and aim to hit the inside of it. The Kart should slide round, miss the inside of the corner and give you a good line out.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Don't brake.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Don't brake.
    this.
    I found brakes quite pointless in my only experience.
    I used them a couple of times, but the power they were able to deliver was definitely overkill compared to the speed and the acceleration.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Make sure your upper body is in shape...it's very physical doing lap after lap.

I agree with the dutch and the italian.

Never brake. Ever.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Agree on most indoor tracks, but on a full size outdoor kart track you're gonna need those brakes ..... or just use the guy in front to slow down for the corners
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information