Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are American Cars so BIG?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I can now see ALL those kiddies coming on UCP and boasting how trashy European sports cars are based on that subjective television.

Try that over here in a free country and the advertising standards authority would get the ad pulled We don't allow lies
    ( Well unless you're Blair and you want to go play soldiers with your best buddy )
    Your "free" country where they dont let you express your freedom of speech? Dude stop being a d!ck toward america.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomet
    Yes very true and I agree... but although I am bitching and nagging on big Trucks/Suvs (wich I like little) I just want to say that a european coupé its more of a car to me than a more rare and big american stand-off truck or even a Chrysler...judging the sizes of them and just plain image ......and this is just MHO....
    In America which would you rather be driving a very small coupe like a Smart car or a masculine truck like a Dodge Ram?

I personally would rather be spending the extra gas money and drive a car that has some balls, think about trying to pick up a chick in the Smart car...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks

I personally would rather be spending the extra gas money and drive a car that has some balls, think about trying to pick up a chick in the Smart car...

AND
    it's gotta be RED!
    aarrrrghhh

WHO CAME UP WITH
    THIS GUY'S NAME? - 'AutoMotivated' - what a w.....r

If your life's not cars
    it's not worth living!

Quote Originally Posted by crisis

Why dont we all use the bus?
    Buses use diesel engines!

(in Oz anyway)
    WHO CAME UP WITH

If your life's not cars
    it's not worth living!

Your "free" country where they dont let you express your freedom of speech? Dude stop being a d!ck toward america.
    When will you realise it is not mandetory to like America?

What basis do you have for stating that we are not allowed to express our freedom of speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomet
    I just want to say that a european coupé its more of a car to me than a more rare and big american stand-off truck
    In America which would you rather be driving a very small coupe like a Smart car
    Hmmm, great way to form an argument.
    He says European Coupe so you pick the least Coupe like car you can find, a Smart, which isn't even a proper Coupe.

European Coupes include:
    Alfa Romeo GT, GTV
    Aston Martin DB9, Vanquish
    Audi TT
    Bentley Continental GT
    BMW 6 Series
    BMW M3
    Jaguar XK
    Maserati Coupe
    Mercedes CLK, CL
    Smart Roadster Coupe
    TVR Cerbera
    TVR T350C

Which would get you more women?
    A Dodge or a TVR?
    Thanks for all the fish

Dude stop being a d!ck toward america.

In America which would you rather be driving a very small coupe like a Smart car or a masculine truck like a Dodge Ram?
    That's a pretty stupid way to ask a question, though. The wording itself is totally biased.

It would be like me saying "would you rather drive something bloated and thirsty or something nimble?". Exactly the same question as far as the two subjects go, but in a totally different way.

I find that as soon as you say anything remotely condradictory to something from the US, you are immediately labelled as "anti-American" or something like that. Why? It's not like anybody's telling people to stop being "anti-Euro" when someone bashes the Smart.

I think it's time to simmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Because a bus round here costs ~3x as much per mile as a reasonable car.
    You still have to walk 1/2 mile to the bus stop
    The bus is always late
    Taking the bus take 30 mins more than driving there in a car
    The bus is full of chavscum, and stinks of a delightful mixture of piss, beer, and vomit.

I have spent an average of 3/4 of an hour per day waiting for a bus for about 5 years when I was going to school. At the end I gave up, and walked for the last 3 years, because I found out that it took 10 mins longer to walk than to get the bus (40mins as opposed to 30mins). I once spent over 1/2 an hour waiting for a bus that was supposed to come every 10 mins, before giving up and walking home in the pissing rain in the dark in the depths of winter.
    Also every 6 months they cranked up the price by 5p, well above inflation (7% increase at 70p, 4.5% increase at £1.10 for just over a mile. Inflation roughly 2.5% p.a.) with no improvement in service.

I really hate busses.
    I caught my first bus in about ten years the other week in town. Waited 5 minutes to take a 10 minute ride to a place 4 minutes walk away (women!). Then had to listen to the try hard wannabe tour bus driver deliver his oration on how bad out government is performing (we passed parliament house ).
    I dont envisage my next trip will be within 20 years.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by AutoMotivated
    Buses use diesel engines!

(in Oz anyway)
    And natural gas. Your point being?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I'm not
    I may be being a dick to bigoted introverted Americans who've never travelled out of their state.
    To the rest, I know they understand

You don't have a clue about 'freedom' in the UK beyond the nonsense taught that the "constitution" is what makes America free. We had the Magna Carta 500 years before that and the majority of the US constitution is based on the concpets there and in the writings of Adam Smith et al.
    Well I personally find the Smart too small, but there are a few around and they work for single people. I'd go for something in the middle

hmm, 'masculine truck' , something I'd expect from Arnie along with "girlie men"
    well that explains the big SUV ..... don't you find having to compensate all the time is tiring ??

Please don't be abusive.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

correct me if i'm wrong but has this simple question turned into another arguement involving americans...or did i miss something

anyways i would say Americans like buying big cars, cause alot of us drive like bats out of hell...like me for example ...anyways they feel safer when higher off the road and tuogher when they have a larger vehicle

not to mention we have alot of great places for off roading, and we don't have the autobahn and refined supercars...so we choose offroad and big tires instead
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Hey slicks you should join the SVT forums, where guys don't talk about nothing else than American cars, criticize whatever is not american and have signatures such as "There are 2 kind of cars... Fords and everything else"

Then I posted the video of my friend's S2000 and one guy replied "Wow thanks for the vid, I used to think my car was slow"

Sorry man I'm just pissed right now because I just went to Circuit City with my littlle brother and he saw a kid from his high school who's like 2 years older than him and messes with him whenever he can.. So my brother told me and I decided to follow the guy's Ford Expedition to offer him to go to a parking lot and beat the f*cking sh*t out of him. I was next to him on a traffic light, told him, the guy acted as if he didn't hear nothing and then he ran away and screamed "Where are you going dude! you drive a Honda"

Edited the last part of my message, don't want to be hated by the american members of this forum who are mostly very nice persons.
    Last edited by Niko_Fx; 07-20-2004 at 06:45 PM.

this question should be, once again, why are europeans so ignorant towards american culture?

Point me in the direction of one car, any one car, besides an aftermarket stretch, that is as big a bentley, rolls, or better yet, the maybach. All made overseas....

Just because all americans don't drive ford focuses or smaller does not mean we all drive school busses to work. It thrills me when 14 yr old foreigners try to dissect US Culture, when they have never been nor experienced it.

NEWS FLASH: America is a big country! America is different than Europe, Britain, and Japan. Correct me if I am wrong, but is America the largest country in the world (india, Russia, maybe?)? Regardless, we have an immense nation that sometimes requires large cars. Large cars ease travel distances, aid in comfort, and increase storage capacity. Even still, there aren't many large cars made anymore. Somebody mentioned a list of Coupes to counter the Smart coupe- Hey genious, ALL OF THOSE CARS ARE SOLD IN EUROPE. Your argument is moot, the cars are just as large over there as they are here. Why does BMW make the 745il? Big car, European car....hmmm....

The SUV/Truck argument doesn't tie in here. In theory, they are a different type of automobile. Yes, there are people who drive Land Cruisers like they are Town Cars, but I have no defense for them- they deserve all the criticism you can give them. HOWEVER, there are people who fully utilize the capabilities of the SUV, and people who need more than a car and rely on pickup trucks. Why the obsession with Pickups? Probably because you can use one for work and still go cruising in it. Try using your Civic for anything besides delivering pizzas- it just won't cut it. You can't take it into a field, you can't haul anything, but you certainly can commute well enough. This is where small cars begin and end, I'm afraid.

To comment on the commercial, NOWHERE does it state that the Magnum is faster than a Espirit V8. The idea is to instill the notion that a car capable of hauling mucho is also nicely equipped with a powerplant capable of keeping up with yuppie European sports cars driven by pricks with too much money. Honestly, when is the last time you saw some stupid commercial where some slut goes after some guy who applies some cologne, body spray, shampoo, drives a car, etc. That's just as bad, if not worse. In fact, the worst commerical I've seen in a long time had some chick leave her number on the window of a Lexus SUV, but all of a sudden it had driven away and she dropped it in thin air. Stupidity, and, get this, from a FOREIGN CAR COMPANY.

Guys, wise up, please. I feel like I make the same post in every thread. Not all americans drive pickup trucks. Not all americans drive lincoln continentals from the 70's.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    And natural gas. Your point being?
    Not on the West side -
    Even if we produce Millions of cubic metres of the stuff off our coast.

A natural gas bus costs more and must be maintained -
    diesel buses cost less, should be maintained - but no one bothers with diesel maintenance -
    who cares if a bus is belching some black stuff -
    all the trucks get away with it.

WHO CAME UP WITH

If your life's not cars
    it's not worth living!

someone earlier on commented on why people buy big suvs that will never go offroad. and i have wat i think is a decent answer. my mom drives a chevy suburban. this is a HUGE suv, complete with four wheel drive, that will never be taken offroad. i even think it is a little bit on the big side, and i dont plan on driving it much, it is un-nerving to site up soo high and go around corners at high speeds. but, my point is that they apeal to a lot of moms. i have 2 siblings, and if we want to go somewhere, and have a few friends each, we need a giant car to accomodate everyone. also, i admit they are unsafe for small cars that get in their way on highways. but they are safer, i would bet, for the people inside one if there is a collision, than if they were in a small european coupe. this may seem heartless, to buy a car that may kill other motorists but will kepp you safe, but think aobut it this way. if you are a mother with three children in your car, and you crash, for one reason or another, into another car, will you realy care at all about the people in the other car. no, not realy. all you would want is to keep your babies safe.

i wanna agree with sandwich. none of you europeans can think from the american perspective. many of you have never visited the states, and if you have you have not experianced the american way of life, unless u move here. having a huge SUV can be extremely usefull in the course of your everyday life.

im kinda ranting right now, im realy pissed about something that has nothing to do with cars or SUVs or anyhting that concerns you. so i apologize if this post is realy stupid and sounds ignorant
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    NEWS FLASH: America is a big country! America is different than Europe, Britain, and Japan. Correct me if I am wrong, but is America the largest country in the world (india, Russia, maybe?)?
    I believe the largest countries (going by land area) is:

1. Russia
    2. China
    3. Canada
    4. United States
    5. Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I believe the largest countries (going by land area) is:

1. Russia
    2. China
    3. Canada
    4. United States