Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you get into motorsport?

How do you get into motorsport?

thought it was time for a new thread fellas

Seriously though, how do you get started? How did Brock and all the other greats get their start? What kind of levels do you move up through? but really what is the starting point and how do you get into it?
    The Datto will rage again...

Generally, people like Schuey and other famous racers start out in go-karts when they're really really young (around 6 for Schuey I think!). From there, they progress to bigger forms of racing such as F3000 and from there, onto BIG things like F1, V8s etc. I'm not exactly sure where you'd go if you were to skip the go-karting phase though.

i think its something like

GoKarts: state
    Nationwide
    Formula Ford: Australian Championship
    Global Championship

then you can take a couple of different paths:

F3000 Carrera Cup Konica Minolta V8 Supercars
    F1 V8 Supercars
    I am the Stig

thats all well and good, but how would someone... say me... go about entering in a base level state competitive track event?

First think you should do is join a CAMS approved club that "actively" has track days
    I am the Stig

Do i need a specific kind of car? or is that what the clubs for?

there'll be clubs out there that'll be car specific, but there should be plenty the Datto can go in
    I am the Stig

i was thinkn of rallyin it at one stage, but the suspensions set up wrong now, i had it made for track not dirt etc, sits too and is too soft for rallies.

mmm
    im keen to race competitivly, i just need a car thatll be competetive now.

The MSA has a getting started guide on their UK web page at www.msauk.org . You'll get some good info there on the general approach and recommendations and then local club can guide you on best choices 'down under'.

mates son has just finished his first race after completing the british ARDS training course. He's starting in an Xr2 coz it's cheap and thinking about a Cosworth next and maybe then Caterham challenge. That works best in his budget and the races run at our local tracks. If it takes off he'll consider his next steps based on sponsorship and personal finances

Take one step at a time and think how to get going using the cheapest route.
    It might be you find you don't have the skill or dedication to make it to the top. Woudl be crazy to spend LOTS of money to find that out

PS: on being competitive - he beat an Exige in the second race !!! "competitive" is a relative term and for many improving lap times is more a 'win' than winning the race - especially if in a formula where lots of money guarantees wins
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-19-2004 at 06:01 AM. Reason: fixed the link
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

you've also said before Matra, how deep your pockets are can win you a race or lose you a race....going into a corner with the the chances of an impact at 100% and your only scraping through with funds, you wont have much luck
    I am the Stig

ill have to hunt down a local club then, i know of a local import club that goes out to wakefield park every now and again but i want some once a month style.

oh and that links no good btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    oh and that links no good btw.
    damn, I've edited it.

Also here's the link direct to the gettign started section http://www.msauk.org/Go_motorsport/go_motorsport.asp

Ratjher than one-make clubs you might be best finding a racing drivers club, it will give more opportunities for alternative routes in to racing and sometimes you can find someone short on funds who'll part share a full-on race car. You then get to compete in alternate events, or as mate does in hillclimbs -- mutlitple entries. he and his son compete AGAINST each other on the same day
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

something thats just popped into my mind.....hows your fitness? half an hour of go karting left me with 2 dead arms almost, i'd be getting straight on the treadmill before getting serious into racing
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    something thats just popped into my mind.....hows your fitness? half an hour of go karting left me with 2 dead arms almost, i'd be getting straight on the treadmill before getting serious into racing
    oh, yes, fitness is important.
    karts are actually worse for a full grown guy than a car due to the smaller rack ratio.
    BUT you learn to relax.
    Starting out it's common to GRIP the wheel.
    On race tracks it's a bit like the grip on a golf club. Firm but not tight.
    I was lucky to sit with Tim Harvey for LOTS of laps and I was surprise how much he only used his fingertips on the wheel rather than a 'grip' - the vids up on UCP somewhere

Also - as in rallying - if you grip it too tight and with locked in thumbs you'll end up with a bad thumb injury first time you get wheel contact or hit the gravel.

I'm Ok for 20-30 mins of track - and to be honest unless you have a full-on race spec vehicle then IT is struggling too. On trackdays I do 20 on 20 off.

Rallying is another kettle of fish. Older guys just can't keep it up to be competitive - so we usually "retire" to classic rallies with slitghtly slower speeds and less grip

As well as strength you shoudl ensure you're exercising for supleness and speed. Especially if you're going into RWD, you need to be fast at correcting things if you're goign to stay ontrack at speed !!!!! Early, small, FAST movements get them back under control better.

Thread Information