Thread: I got a taste of Ultra violence

I got a taste of Ultra violence

I taped A clockwork orange on australias SBS the other day and finally got around to whatching it...and noone what do you see in this film I found itmore then a little bit strange...i didnt hate it just didnt get it....i think there a deeper meaning under there that went WOOOOSH over my head...i found it rather pointless to be honest...to a fan of the film...what it supposed to mean?

It is a very obscure film, I'm not sure crisis understood it fully at first, or now, or if I understood all the different facets of the film and I've watched it literally dozens of times.

I posted this before ... this is a cut & paste from the other thread located HERE

The movie can be pretty much summed up as a demonstration of the importance of free will and choice between good and evil. Through treatment Alex (the main character) has lost his ability to exercise his free will , he still has the sadistic criminal thoughts and desires but cannot act on them without becoming physically ill. He has no choice but to act on good things only, he loses his ability to defend himself physically and mentally from the people he had wronged in the past, including his old gang members.

The other main character, the (old)writer (his name eludes me right now), demonstrates how through free will the victim can become the antagonist, when after recognizing Alex sets out a vengeful plan knowing that Alex cannot defend himself, so the victim becomes the sadistic criminal, and the former sadistic criminal becomes the victim.

I'm not sure if this will clear it up, I've watched the movie literally dozens of times and it honestly took me a while to fully understand it ... maybe watch it again, now that I may have shed a little light on it.

It really is one of my all-time favourites. My sig is a quote from the movie and also kinda helps sum it up.

As I said it is difficult to understand but for me a very visually compelling film, that is still deeper than I have tried to explain here.

Anyone else seen the movie and have something to add or have an opinion? Please feel free to share your viewpoint.

It is one of the best films ever.

I think you have it pretty much spot on.

After Alex has been "re-set" in the hospital, he has all of his old urges towards sex and violence. He hasn't learned anything from his ordeal.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    It is one of the best films ever.

I think you have it pretty much spot on.

After Alex has been "re-set" in the hospital, he has all of his old urges towards sex and violence. He hasn't learned anything from his ordeal.
    Well After reading that and seeing the film i get his view point...but you have to feel sorry that he was getting killed by the music he loved...what i find strange is how he didnt learn jack...

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    That's the way the movie hints, but in the book .. correction, in the British (possibly european) version of the book (written by Anthony Burgess) Alex grows up and renounces violence as a childish toy.

Kubrick made the movie but was unaware that the American version of the novel leaves out the last chapter, Chapter 21 in which Alex tries to start back where he had left off - in the Korova milkbar with new "droogs"(gangmembers) - but finds something lacking until he meets up with "old droog" Pete who has settled down and has a family, Alex finds himself longing for this life.

Damn, I really have to find this book !!!

Ohhhhh so he did learn BUT kurbrick missed out that part....ifthey had of added that i probly would of thought more of the film well it happens all the times movies are often better as books...

anyone care for a drink at the milkbar?

My favourite movie is Apocolipse Now. I've never seen Clockwork, but I want too. Apoc is a pretty crazy movie too, but you might be able to understand it better, except the end.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Kubrick and Eisentien are the greatest directors ever.

Add in Kirasawa, and you've got a mean three team.
    Two words: Dodge Viper

Personally 2001 is my favorite. With Noones help I think one point it ( Clockwork orange) makes is that forcing someone to do something against his will while he is supervised or in this case forced cannot change them if they dont want to be changed. Like political correctness, you can make someone say the right things but you cant make them think them. So when surveillence or whatever forced Alex is taken away, the person resorts to the way they actually are. Managers take note.
    Kubriks vagueness is what sometimes makes his films.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Kubrick's best two movies are, in order, Barry Lyndon and Dr. Strangelove.

Everything after that is debatable.

Spartacus is his worst.
    Two words: Dodge Viper

Like 2001, Clockwork Orange is more an experience than a story.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information