Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in the USA

Diesel in the USA

I am reading here that BMW has received an order to convert 240000 (twohundred and forty thousand) police cars to diesel propulsion...
    The order comes from Carbon Motors and BMW will also supply transmissions, exhaust and cooling system.
    According to Carbon Motors the fleet emissions will be reduced by 30% in combination with a 40% power increase.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

but there is still thisa nagging feeling of April's Fool.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Well April's Fool or not, I'm not too sure on the possibilities of this proposal.

Considering it is meant for government agencies this looks to me as an expensive alternative, not only to buy but to run as well. Car from big corporations can be much more cost effective because they are based on mass produced components ready available to the general public. This looks quite bespoke, and the BMW diesel isn't exactly popular in the US. Furthermore the fuel price difference between Europe and North America negate much of the advantages of the diesel engine in the US.

It does have interesting points, like the reduction in fuel consumption as well as a car designed specifically for law enforcing duties which could overcome the constraints of mass-produced passenger cars, but I don't know if those will be enough to overcome the differences in cost.

Time will tell, I guess.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but there is still thisa nagging feeling of April's Fool.....

That number has to be a misprint, that company probably hasn't sold 24 cars much less 240,000.

As it's an order for engines it's perfectly feasible that is the lifetime purchase quantity.
    So given a likely 5-10 year life, that's not so many per year , especially as it will also include spares and in-service replacements/upgrades.

To the cars themselves, it makes sense for a large organisation covering a smallish geographic area as they can reasonably host the necessary storage and fuelling arrangements that would be necessary in the US as it lacks the infrastructure for decent diesel delivery. Better chance of this type of thing happening than the investment to get national diesel distribution for end users.

By the time a stock car is upgraded for performance, handling and protection it probably is an expensive proposition.
    The US don't run the European modl of local patrol cars being "ordinary" and then a few special police cars for high speed pursuit and protection.

I do smile thinking that there is probably someone somewhere us proposing diesel as it's less volatle than petrol. I mean all those shoot-outs and crashes in the films prove to all how explosive petrol is NOT !
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-22-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

To the cars themselves, it makes sense for a large organisation covering a smallish geographic area as they can reasonably host the necessary storage and fuelling arrangements that would be necessary in the US as it lacks the infrastructure for decent diesel delivery. Better chance of this type of thing happening than the investment to get national diesel distribution for end users.
    This is total bs.....you can buy diesel motorfuel almost anywhere in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    That number has to be a misprint, that company probably hasn't sold 24 cars much less 240,000.

RFQ maybe? You always quote for production quantity when you are trying to plan out your production.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

This is total bs.....you can buy diesel motorfuel almost anywhere in the USA.
    NO, we're talking DECENT diesel that is low sulphur ?
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    NO, we're talking DECENT diesel that is low sulphur ?
    Yes, ultra low sulphur diesel(15 ppm) fuel is the norm here now.

Yes, ultra low sulphur diesel(15 ppm) fuel is the norm here now.
    we are down to 10 ppm....(since 1-1-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    we are down to 10 ppm....(since 1-1-2009)
    15 ppm was mandated here in '06....I don't know the schedule for going lower.

All 2010 and forward road diesels have to have the Diesel Exhaust Fluid systems...I know euro diesels have had this for a while.

hmm intersting. WHy DEF when SCR is meeting and planned to exceed Euro strict limits ?
    Does DEF allow dirtier/cheaper fuel ? Can imagine the chemical aprpoach coping better than the recycle and catalyse approach.
    I'm not aware of any trucks or cars in Europe running DEF ... love the idea of pissing in the urea tank. Scandinavian piss probably increase the octane rating too

Is DEF maybe better on the bigger engines in the US ?
    OR, is it a preference/licensing/patent cost issue that led the world to catalysts rather than lean burn on petrol ?
    I'd love to understand this, but dont' know much on diesels

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    hmm intersting. WHy DEF when SCR is meeting and planned to exceed Euro strict limits ?
    Does DEF allow dirtier/cheaper fuel ? Can imagine the chemical aprpoach coping better than the recycle and catalyse approach.
    I'm not aware of any trucks or cars in Europe running DEF ... love the idea of pissing in the urea tank. Scandinavian piss probably increase the octane rating too

Is DEF maybe better on the bigger engines in the US ?
    OR, is it a preference/licensing/patent cost issue that led the world to catalysts rather than lean burn on petrol ?
    I'd love to understand this, but dont' know much on diesels
    If Kimi pissed in your tank the octane would definitely go off the scale.

Mercedes BlueTec is nothing more than a urea tank which holds their AdBlue fluid. Euro diesel trucks have been using too...so apparently large and small engines benefit.

DEF is not a gimmick for allowing substandard fuel IMO...it's just the most effective way to reduce emissions in diesels so far.

Major truck stops here are already installing DEF dispensers.

It's not wrong... here's the press release

Munich/Washington, D.C. The BMW Group has received a major order from the American law enforcement vehicle manufacturer, Carbon Motors Corp., to supply more than 240,000 diesel engines. Ian Robertson, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for Sales and Marketing, and William Santana Li, Chairman and CEO of Carbon Motors Corp. signed the contract at a ceremony held in Washington, D.C. today. The agreement calls for delivery of inline six-cylinder diesel engines complete with cooling and exhaust gas system and automatic transmission.

Ian Robertson: “We announced the expansion of our powertrain system sales business as part of the company’s Strategy Number ONE. Today’s agreement with Carbon Motors marks another important milestone along this route – with others to follow.” Robertson continued: “We are delighted to support Carbon Motors Corp. with our engine expertise. BMW Group diesel engines have a clear lead over the competition when it comes to fuel consumption, emissions and performance. In this way, we will also help reduce the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of more than 240,000 US law enforcement vehicles by up to 40% over the coming years.”

Carbon Motors Corp. was founded in 2003 and is the world’s first manufacturer of purpose-built law enforcement vehicles. “In the BMW Group, we have found a strong partner who has been operating successfully in the US for more than two decades,” noted Li. “The BMW Group drive system makes it possible to accommodate the mission critical law enforcement needs for performance, efficiency, and driving dynamics. Efficient BMW diesel engines will benefit not only the environment, but – thanks to the fleet’s lower running costs–– also the American taxpayer,” said Li.

More performance combined with lower fuel consumption and emissions – that is the motto of the BMW EfficientDynamics technology that has been standard in more than 1.6 million vehicles the company has sold since 2007. Continuous improvements in diesel engines are also a major part of this program. In recent years BMW diesel engines have dominated their classes at the renowned “International Engine of the Year Awards”. In 2009, the BMW Group sold around 498,000 diesel engines vehicles worldwide – almost 39% of its total sales of 1.286 million units. In Europe the majority of BMW and MINI customers opted for diesel in 2009 – 63% of the more than 761,000 vehicles delivered in Europe were equipped with this kind of drive. Diesel is also becoming increasingly important in the US, where two diesel models, the BMW X5 xDrive 35d and the BMW 335d Sedan have been available since December 2008. Diesel accounted for 17% of X5 sales for 2009 as a whole. In the meantime, almost one in three BMW X5 vehicles sold in the US has an inline six-cylinder diesel motor. The BMW X5 is the premium segment’s bestselling diesel vehicle here.

Engine development and construction is one of the BMW Group’s core competences and is part of the company’s heritage since its founding in 1916. Today the BMW Group has a strong network with a total of 24 production facilities in 13 countries, including three engine plants in Steyr, Austria; Munich, Germany; and Hams Hall, UK.

Thread Information