Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Photography Competition #164

Quote Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
    Being somewhat tall, I was able to get this shot standing next to the car. I just got my nikon 20mm 2.8 lens and I love it. For a wide angle, it is such a linear lens. You really don't see any distortion normally associated with wide angle lenses.

I've been very slowly investing in the best glass I can afford. I've been focusing on primes because they are the best value. I just become the zoom instead of paying for one. Now if I could only find $1400 bucks for the 1.4 85mm or 1700 for the 70-200 vr!

thanks

ken
    how many shots did you take, until you got the right one? Any cuttings made?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Being somewhat tall, I was able to get this shot standing next to the car.
    So you just stuck the camera out, then cropped it? Or were you actually able to lean over it and look through the viewfinder? Seems so simple, haha. I just asked as a shot like that usually isn't easy with such a wide car. But then with it being such a low car and with it being open, I guess that makes it easier. Like I said, great shot and thanks for the response.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

GT40 is quite low, I'd probably still have to stick the camera over and crop it properly....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Being somewhat tall, I was able to get this shot standing next to the car. I just got my nikon 20mm 2.8 lens and I love it. For a wide angle, it is such a linear lens. You really don't see any distortion normally associated with wide angle lenses.

I've been very slowly investing in the best glass I can afford. I've been focusing on primes because they are the best value. I just become the zoom instead of paying for one. Now if I could only find $1400 bucks for the 1.4 85mm or 1700 for the 70-200 vr!

thanks

ken
    I didn't know that Fuji cameras were compatible with Nikon lenses.

Fumacher
    Ferrari F355
    Nikon D70S
    Zandvoort
    10-04-2008
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I didn't know that Fuji cameras were compatible with Nikon lenses.
    I believe the Fuji S# Pro uses the Nikon mount...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

#1 mustang fan
    Merc.
    4 weeks ago
    Pentax k10d 18mm.

Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

I'm not that tall

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    So you just stuck the camera out, then cropped it? Or were you actually able to lean over it and look through the viewfinder? Seems so simple, haha. I just asked as a shot like that usually isn't easy with such a wide car. But then with it being such a low car and with it being open, I guess that makes it easier. Like I said, great shot and thanks for the response.
    I'm not that tall, in fact, I don't think Ralph Sampson could do that, look thru the viewfinder and see the shot.

I took 3 shots, reviewed each one, repositioned my approximate position and ended up getting the shot on the 3rd try. I think I may have cropped it a tiny bit in photoshop.

The Fugi s3 is based on the D70 I believe. They put in their own sensors which are pretty cool. The first sensor gets the image, the second sensor gets the highlights and the image is combined to create a faux 12 megapixel file. I have blown some shots up to 30x40 and they look pretty good.

The Fuji S5 Pro is based on the D200. The Fuji community is thinking that the S5 is the end of the line. We don't think Fuji is going to modify the d3/300 line.

regards

ken

Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
    you hold the camera high up, slightly in front of your head, remember its position and start shooting, one by one, until you sort of get the right composition. And no, you cannot look through the viewfinder.
    This is a shot (no entry) which I took of a Ferrari 500TRC engine at Villa d'Este, this is the best that came out, but possibly before entering a competition I would cut off the blue parts. This shot look less spectacular because it is not a V-engine like the Ford, which gives you a nice feeling of symmetry. (and I am about 1.76 meters tall).
    I used the 20D with the 17-40 zoom lens, which gives you enough angle to make such shots.
    Alternatively you can put the camera on a monopod, hold it much higher and use a cable to make the shot.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It seems to be a little tilted towards the viewer, but I like the effect.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

You know what, shots like that is what stuff like Live-view with tilting screen on an DSLR will really help....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Hope I'm not too late.

trickz
    bimmer
    one month ago
    Fujifilm S9600

The one and only..NOOBZILLA:)

Rijoh
    348x2
    Canon EOS 450D
    Netherlands
    27-04-2008

I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    you hold the camera high up, slightly in front of your head, remember its position and start shooting, one by one, until you sort of get the right composition. And no, you cannot look through the viewfinder.
    Yeah, I know that's one way of doing it, I was just wondering if that's how he did it. It's pretty damn close to being perfectly aligned, so I was curious if he had done it another way.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I believe the Fuji S# Pro uses the Nikon mount...
    I'm not that tall, in fact, I don't think Ralph Sampson could do that, look thru the viewfinder and see the shot.

I took 3 shots, reviewed each one, repositioned my approximate position and ended up getting the shot on the 3rd try. I think I may have cropped it a tiny bit in photoshop.

The Fugi s3 is based on the D70 I believe. They put in their own sensors which are pretty cool. The first sensor gets the image, the second sensor gets the highlights and the image is combined to create a faux 12 megapixel file. I have blown some shots up to 30x40 and they look pretty good.

The Fuji S5 Pro is based on the D200. The Fuji community is thinking that the S5 is the end of the line. We don't think Fuji is going to modify the d3/300 line.

regards

ken
    Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    You know what, shots like that is what stuff like Live-view with tilting screen on an DSLR will really help....
    Definitely. I found that although my SLR took pictures way better than my old point and shoot, I always couldn't take them well without looking through the viewfinder. They always end up crooked.

I think the higher up Nikons, the D300 and D3, have live view, but I'm not rich enough to get one to try it myself.

I wonder if anyone in this forum own those cameras.

I think Sony also has live view, although I forget which one.

Thread Information