Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying an imported car

That vintage Prelude had a Digital Dash IIRC, so it's harder to fake.

Having said that though, I really don't see the point of saying "oh, looky here, it's Imported....."

Unless there are SIGNIFICANT performance gains over an Aussie Delivered model, it's just not worth the effort.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

It reminds me of the time when I read something on some website in some corner of the internet approximately like such;

"It truly amazes me. It's almost as if all Japanese car-buyers are guided by a gentleman's agreement to not their drive car for more than 100,00km."

Lawl.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The car is for sale here.
    The things that alerted me that it could be Japanese are it's missing the model designation badge, which would be different depending on where it came from, and it's got a Japanese-spec-only rear windscreen wiper. These things can be explained, but they're a bit sus. And it's cheaper than I'd expect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    It's hard to go in and come out level headed when buying your first "sporty" car, Take it from me (whos silvia was a money pit) - Do NOT buy it straight out. Take what you know of the car home and sleep on it.
    Yeah, I get that. After driving around like a hoon with the sun roof open, it was that much harder to get back in my Pulsar for the drive home.
    All about the t-tops

that price is pretty spot on for a decent condition prelude/imported prelude.

sif need rear window wiper, weight reduction man
    looks like a 4WD at that ride height! get it checked out, it looks clean, honda's are usually okay even if a grey import, but get it thoroughly checked.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

A good rule of thumb is this.

if you ask the owner, and they "don't know" or outright say "no", when you full well know it is, walk away. they're trying to dodge you.

^^ Very good advice for the wise.

Be aware that Jap-market vehicles often spend much of their life stuck idling away in traffic jams - which is hard going on any car - so even a genuine low-mileage unit might have accelerated wear on engine, trans & cooling systems etc (as compared to Oz standards & norms). Water & moisture damage incurred from monsoonal conditions and/or flooding is also something to look out for.

When we lived in NZ these sorts of cars were epically popular because
    A) they were exceptionally cheap
    B) they weren't all that bad
    C) they were good condition, for the most part.

Any car from about 1998 onwards you're going to be relatively OK with water damage, rust etc. You should still check it out though because some of them might have been sitting on a dock for a while and the salt might be eating them. Most Water damaged cars (from floods ETC) are written off, but you might get the occasional horror sneaking through.

We purchased first a 1994 Honda Accord from Japan, which proved itself to be reliable, durable and functional transport, if unbelievably dull. parts are cheap, as is dealer support (at least in NZ, where the official dealers are very much in contact with their Japanese counterparts). We then purchased a 1995 BMW 328i Sedan for around $10,000au less than an equivalent one at home. it cost us $4500 to ship it back, but thats still cheaper, in my dads eyes at least

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are willing to accept that the car you are buying has little or no history, and have a thorough check of the vehicle to make sure it's not two welded together, you can do quite well out of a Japanese import. I mean, where else are you going to find a Mid engine, RWD car for $4000?

get the mechanic to check the 4WS if it has it. often a hit on kerbs can damage this easily
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    It's a '94 Honda Prelude VTI-R. Except it's not a VTI-R, it's a Japanese spec VTEC. I picked it from some of the subtle differences I'm not importing it, it's already here and I'm buying second-hand.
    I'd really like a car that's got everything in order (AKA, no odometer roll-backs or anything), so it's not something I have to think about when it comes time to sell it.
    I suppose it's a good thing I plan on getting a professional inspection done, that should nut it out alright.
    Btw when getting a professional inspection done,ask the inspection agency what checks they do as some mostly focus on checking visuals (some dont check under the car) and dont really check the mechanical side of the car besides taking it for a test drive.
    Car may look sweet but you dont wana drive it home to have it conk out on you a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    that price is pretty spot on for a decent condition prelude/imported prelude.

sif need rear window wiper, weight reduction man
    looks like a 4WD at that ride height! get it checked out, it looks clean, honda's are usually okay even if a grey import, but get it thoroughly checked.
    Usually a good condition VTI-R (the top model) commands a higher price, as they're quite rare. There's one other available in my state at the moment, and it's $10,000.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was a bit turned off by the possible Japanese heritage, but I might give it another look. And I'll make sure the check done is very thorough.
    All about the t-tops

In the end I didn't buy it, and it sold in a day or two. Whoever bought it has put it up for sale at the same price he bought it for, just a couple of weeks later. Something must be seriously up with it
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    In the end I didn't buy it, and it sold in a day or two. Whoever bought it has put it up for sale at the same price he bought it for, just a couple of weeks later. Something must be seriously up with it
    Good, you're better off that way. I think Bluey got screwed over on a guy selling an import Supra a while back. I wouldn't trust those JDM traders and their NOS/2JZ no shit
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

sounds like the other buyer didn't get it checked..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Good, you're better off that way. I think Bluey got screwed over on a guy selling an import Supra a while back. I wouldn't trust those JDM traders and their NOS/2JZ no shit
    LOL
    yeah bluey got scammed by some guy in italy claiming to be selling his supra here or some shit.

Thread Information