Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Covers... how to keep them on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    The windy season is here (Santa Ana winds) and I am having the same problem I had last season... trying to keep the car cover on. This is for my '95 Lincoln which is parked in the street.

I am using a car cover which is designed for my year and model and it has two straps which snap closed and supposedly keep the car cover from billowing and coming off the car.

Well, I walked outside yesterday morning and the car cover was completely off the car- laying on the sidewalk, not on the street.

I even used some vise-grips on the rear strap to weight it down. It didn't help much! Any ideas how to keep the cover on? I tried wetting it down to make it heavier but these warm winds dry it in an hour or two.
    Park the car out of the wind?

just kidding, not all car covers are 'custom' fit. the best thing is to have elastic all the way around the car on the bottom of the cover.

I found some decent ones from empire. This cover was a replacement cover for a custom cover that cost three times as much and started leaking water and collecting dust under the cover in less than a year. My Empire cover is 4 months old, has survived numerous strong thunderstorms and seering Texas sun, and so far is exceeding my expectations. I have 3 cars under cover, soon the other two will be covered by Empire.

EmpireCovers-Review

I use cable ties..the heavy duty ones,make a small hole in car cover,run the tie through and around a wheel spoke and also under the towing hooks of the car.My car has 4 so no problems at all..works great!

Quote Originally Posted by zique View Post
    I use cable ties..the heavy duty ones,make a small hole in car cover,run the tie through and around a wheel spoke and also under the towing hooks of the car.My car has 4 so no problems at all..works great!
    they don't leave marks?

no marks at all

I think I found a way to keep my car covers on.

I now have my two Cadillacs in the garage. The '66 Plymouth is parked in the driveway and the '95 Lincoln on the street.

I put a car cover on the Plymouth and tried using vise grips to keep the cover on. I clamp the vise grip on the inside part of the rear bumper... put a portion of the car cover in the vise grip and clamp it on the bumper. I think that should work because vise grips can be clamped down very tight since they are adjustable.

No strong winds here for about two weeks so I haven't seen yet how it will work.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

How to keep fit?

I think it maybe a lit bit off topic, however, i think it is valuable to take a look at. It is about the way to gain insight. Please join here: www.ultimatecarpage.com
    Hope you find it good!
    Last edited by henk4; 12-09-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Speaking of car covers, is there really such a thing as a "100% waterproof" car cover?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

They won't give you any mark, but you must use it carefully though

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeauty View Post
    I think it maybe a lit bit off topic, however, i think it is valuable to take a look at. It is about the way to gain insight. Please join here: Ultimatecarpage.com - Powered by knowledge, driven by passion
    Hope you find it good!
    yeah it's look good man, but design needs to be go more advanced.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 01-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information