Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calais VY LS1 V8 or Ford XR6 Turbo?

Calais VY LS1 V8 or Ford XR6 Turbo?

This is not a holden versus ford thread, rather I am hoping it will be a thread simply comparing these two models, I realise that the VY SS is a more direct competitor but it is the VY LS1 Calais I am looking at (both autos)
    I like both car makers, but am torn between these two models. I ran a similar thread on another forum and whilst there was some sensible good responses there was a bit of holden and ford bashing...which is to be expected I guess since it is a comparison between a holden and a ford type thread.

We are all aware of how fast an XR6T is and how much faster with mods they go, but an LS1 is also quick, and it's the sound of the V8 which would win me over as well as climate control etc in the Calais, but I would imagine under close scrutiny the XR6T would be the superior car chassis wise and the Ford Barra240T engine is the best Australian made engine.....ever.

I would not be modifying either vehicle if I bought it, the only mod would be sequential vapour injection LPG and perhaps a tune...but that's it, I've got kids so it would be a family car and a daily driver.......I love fast cars but am not interested in which is faster, they are about the same stock with perhaps the Ford nosing ahead a bit. As far as fuel consumption goes I would say they are about the same depending on driver habits. But an XR6T can never sound like a V8.....and I've never owned a V8, but the XR6T is too good to dismiss also.

Any opinions or even better tips and advice from people who have owned or driven either model would be much appreciated
    P.S. motorsportnerd does excellent reviews but I have not found any on these particular models.
    Last edited by muso; 09-15-2008 at 05:16 AM.

I've not driven either, but from what I hear the Ford should give you much better mileage.. if you can keep it off the boost. I'd take the Ford.. and for the record, I'm not a fanboy either way.. I'd actually probably take something else completely.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

yeah same here. the only extra power your going to get will be above say, 3000RPM, so it would be like a V6 for most daily driving and much smarter in my opinion. and who needs to sound good when you go that fast?

If you want outright performance a XR but if you want a luxury veichle with some stink the VY wins...... VY calais for me but Im old... Noticed you mentioned children, the a hilux pov pack with rubber mats so you can hose it out after the kids spill drinks, food etc
    Last edited by charged; 09-15-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by muso View Post
    This is not a holden versus ford thread, rather I am hoping it will be a thread simply comparing these two models, I realise that the VY SS is a more direct competitor but it is the VY LS1 Calais I am looking at (both autos)
    I like both car makers, but am torn between these two models. I ran a similar thread on another forum and whilst there was some sensible good responses there was a bit of holden and ford bashing...which is to be expected I guess since it is a comparison between a holden and a ford type thread.

We are all aware of how fast an XR6T is and how much faster with mods they go, but an LS1 is also quick, and it's the sound of the V8 which would win me over as well as climate control etc in the Calais, but I would imagine under close scrutiny the XR6T would be the superior car chassis wise and the Ford Barra240T engine is the best Australian made engine.....ever.

I would not be modifying either vehicle if I bought it, the only mod would be sequential vapour injection LPG and perhaps a tune...but that's it, I've got kids so it would be a family car and a daily driver.......I love fast cars but am not interested in which is faster, they are about the same stock with perhaps the Ford nosing ahead a bit. As far as fuel consumption goes I would say they are about the same depending on driver habits. But an XR6T can never sound like a V8.....and I've never owned a V8, but the XR6T is too good to dismiss also.

Any opinions or even better tips and advice from people who have owned or driven either model would be much appreciated
    P.S. motorsportnerd does excellent reviews but I have not found any on these particular models.
    If you go the V8 I can reccomend a Auto elctic place that does SVI lpg
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I really like quiet refined cars with low road noise...I also like holdens and fords LOL but seriously I am assuming that the Vy Calais would be somewhat quieter to travel in (being a luxury model) but the ford's Btr gearbox would be better than the holden's 4L60e.

Having driven a few non turbo BA's and a couple of LS1's the V8 felt more refined but the ford felt more modern....if that makes any sense.

It is important to note that I am talking about the BA XR6T.....not the BF which is far more refined than either the Vy LS1 or the BA XR6T with the zf 6 speed it is truly world class and also truly out of my budget.

Its a hard call to make really because theyre so different in certain areas.

Performance wise, VY has the honours from a standing start but the BA is quicker for overtaking etc. Ride and body control is better on the BA, but the VY's lighter so still makes do.

Safety, the passive systems etc are pretty much the same across, active the front and side are both 4 star ANCAP cars but the VY rear is a tin can compared to the BA.

Inside you'd expect the VY to me more luxurious, probably with leather and all the trimmings but maybe you'll rather the more modern layout of the BA's dash etc.

As for the sound, you'd probably be surprised how close the V8 and a I6T with upgraded exhaust would sound when still driven sensibly.

I'd personally take the BA. You might be put off with how many BA XR6 NA's are on the road and lack of differentiation between them and the Turbo though.
    I am the Stig

Thanks charged, I think Parnell's do the conversions here in Adelaide, they do the vapour systems with no power loss claimed and 10% higher than petrol LPG consumption.
    I am not sure if anyone does the superior liquid injection systems yet

Thanks fpv gtho, the XR6T's are a more modern design than the VY and from the outside looks wise the BA Xr wins hands down...they are still a real head turner...even if everyone seems to have one, but I do prefer (believe it or not) the more traditional interior and dash/instruments of the VY Calais....I like lots of backlit green buttons and green backlit screen and guages etc.....I like the blue backlit colour of the Xr's but really don't like the actual instruments with the fussy raised silver bevelled rings around the tacho/speedo a more flush modern panel would have looked better and the tiny numbers, why are they so small?..........but I'm old, it could be my eyesight....hang on I'm 40 something...that's not that old.....is it?
    Last edited by muso; 09-15-2008 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    yeah same here. the only extra power your going to get will be above say, 3000RPM, so it would be like a V6 for most daily driving and much smarter in my opinion. and who needs to sound good when you go that fast?
    The Ford is a straight six.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

One important point is that in spite of both car's stock performance being within a 'bee's dick' of each other the XR6T is far more expensive to insure than the LS1 powered VY Calais, insurance companies assume that a V8 Calais driver won't drive as fast as an XR6T or SS driver and they are probably right, but I guess the V8 is dearer to register but I don't know by how much.
    Last edited by muso; 09-15-2008 at 06:05 AM.

they both sound good, make good power with broad, flexible power curves.. i can see why you're having a hard time deciding
    for some reason my head is saying the XR6T but not sure why, possibly the more mature vehicle? uncle had one, some of my friends have V8 VY's.. either way you're getting a good car

2ndclasscitizen has a VY calais for sale doesn't he?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by muso View Post
    Thanks fpv gtho, the XR6T's are a more modern design than the VY and from the outside looks wise the BA Xr wins hands down...they are still a real head turner...even if everyone seems to have one, but I do prefer (believe it or not) the more traditional interior and dash/instruments of the VY Calais....I like lots of backlit green buttons and green backlit screen and guages etc.....I like the blue backlit colour of the Xr's but really don't like the actual instruments with the fussy raised silver bevelled rings around the tacho/speedo a more flush modern panel would have looked better and the tiny numbers, why are they so small?
    As a consequence to all of that as well, the VY can still easily have a new head unit installed etc as the BA has the audio interface intergrated with the HVAC. Theres systems out there for BA's, but i believe theyre pretty expensive.

I hadnt considered insurance costs, something like that is probably of more relevance than any material difference between the cars. But as its the more frugal car thats more expensive to insure, you'll probably need to do some sums with expected km's etc to see how it balances out for overall running costs. When the NSW police evaluated the XR6T's though, they found compared to the XR8 and SS they were cheaper on brake and tyre replacements as well. So its not just the fuel the turbo's cheaper than the V8 with. Might not be relevant though with the Calais though.

..........but I'm old, it could be my eyesight....hang on I'm 40 something...that's not that old.....is it?
    Nah...They say 40's the new 30 dont they?
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 09-15-2008 at 07:08 AM.
    I am the Stig

Better to start with the VYII.. Much better set-up then the S1 VY.
    Probably holdens best suspension set-up for the VYII Calais FE1.5.

More depends on what your after, Look wise they are both sporty with 17" rims.
    Inside the XR is sporty, The Calais might come with leather if lucky, But leans more on the luxury side.
    Suspensions XR has a great set-up on the sporty side but still nice around town.
    VYII Calais a mix of both sport/Luxury.

Then Price wise is close probably.

XR6T.

VYII Calais.

"Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Disregard performace, as they are too close. Looks depend on your taste, but both look good. The only things that your decision should be made on is the the overall cost of buying, insuring, running repairing, fueling, ect. and what it is like to drive.

Personally (as a ford man) i would get the XR6T, but you should ( if you haven't already) test drive both and see which one is better to drive.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Thread Information