Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an imported car

Buying an imported car

So I (obviously) live in Australia, but I'm planning on buying a car that I'm almost sure was imported from overseas, most likely Japan. Is this likely to be a problem? Is there anything I should look out for?
    All about the t-tops

The biggest problem you'll encounter is finding one with a history.

KM's will be fiddled with, plates might not match, etc.

However we have a vehicle which was originally imported from Japan that we shipped via NZ....and it's a very reliable, attractive car.

Basically do your research and don't believe fake deals. If it's too good to be true, it is.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Firstly check the kms on the car.I know some places wind those odometers back.See if the body and overall condition of the car matches the kms.Also check for rust,maybe its just me but Jap cars seem to rust along sills,under the rubber lining in boot,check under the spare wheel in boot etc.
    Also a tip learnt from a panelbeater..check the panels.Uneven gaps between panels mean the panels have been changed,maybe car was in an accident.Sometimes its not on the checksheet thats sent with the car from Japan.
    One overlooked place is to check under the car..hoist it up and check all the suspension bits and exhaust on the underside.The top of the car might look MINT but the underside usually tells the real story.
    Hope thats what you were looking for.

Crap. Okay, thanks.
    All about the t-tops

drive it around and check the tire pressure.. heard of cars having different pressures to compensate for steering/chassis defect or whatever that might make the car wander off centre
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Pretty much as IB4R said, and I'll add keep your head on straight no matter how good it looks. Even if the km have been f***ed with, there's still the chance that its a reliable car as long as everything checks out. Here's where you ask yourself what you expect from the car. Are you buying it because you want something that will make you happy, or because you want to make the guy that buys it after you happy. Obviously, for resale value's sake, you'll want to avoid something that has km roll-backs and no history reports, because it'll probably be difficult to get much for it when you go to sell the thing. However, if you want kicks and thrills and you're not worried about the details, then a simple inspection to make sure the vehicle is in good order will probably do the trick. Whichever your motive may be, the inspection should be your first priority after seeing for yourself that the car feels right when you're testing it. Which car are you planning on importing? Expect a potentially significant difference in reliability between the boring, well kept, low mileage four-door saloon, and the well-modified, low mileage rice rocket.

Don't listen to them. Buy a skyline. Be a hero.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

he doesn't have to import a skyline.. can get a locally delivered one.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

rock you're drunk again, go to bed.

It's a '94 Honda Prelude VTI-R. Except it's not a VTI-R, it's a Japanese spec VTEC. I picked it from some of the subtle differences I'm not importing it, it's already here and I'm buying second-hand.
    I'd really like a car that's got everything in order (AKA, no odometer roll-backs or anything), so it's not something I have to think about when it comes time to sell it.
    I suppose it's a good thing I plan on getting a professional inspection done, that should nut it out alright.
    All about the t-tops

Do you have a link if its advertised online?

Essentially nobody would be worried about rolling back a honda odometer

But as others have said - Check for rust under the sils, where anything meets the paint (rubber seals in boot/bonnet)

As it'd 94 dont be surprised if the interior has wear and tear, a few rattles and scratches.

It's hard to go in and come out level headed when buying your first "sporty" car, Take it from me (whos silvia was a money pit) - Do NOT buy it straight out. Take what you know of the car home and sleep on it.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

for a prelude you might be better off getting a locally delivered car but eh that might cost more

Why Import a Prelude?

Time, Money, Effort. All would be wasted.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Gee guys, he already stated twice that the car is in country, not being imported :-)

Sheeeeeeeeeeshhhh.. can we read before firing!! :-)

it doesn't matter, imported car is often more dodgy than local delivered. a honda is probably alright though

Thread Information