Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 / 2014 F1 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Yo man, make a prop bet in that. You could cash in.
    With the new information, self bump.

Perez has been confirmed at Forcie India, leaving very few drives available.

The current 2014 line-up in full:

Red Bull Racing
    Sebastian Vettel
    Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes
    Lewis Hamilton
    Nico Rosberg

Ferrari
    Fernando Alonso
    Kimi Raikkonen

Lotus
    Romain Grosjean
    Pastor Maldonado

McLaren
    Jenson Button
    Kevin Magnussen

Force India
    Nico Hulkenberg
    Sergio Perez

Sauber
    TBC
    TBC

Toro Rosso
    Jean-Eric Vergne
    Daniil Kvyat

Williams
    Felipe Massa
    Valtteri Bottas

Marussia
    Jules Bianchi
    TBC

Caterham
    TBC
    TBC
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The racing numbers for next year are confrimed.

Red Bull

1. Sebastian Vettel (will use number five when not reigning champion)
    3. Daniel Ricciardo

Mercedes

44. Lewis Hamilton
    6. Nico Rosberg

Ferrari

14. Fernando Alonso
    7. Kimi Raikkonen

Lotus

8. Romain Grosjean
    13. Pastor Maldonado

McLaren

22. Jenson Button
    20. Kevin Magnussen

Force India

27. Nico Hulkenberg
    11. Sergio Perez

Sauber

99. Adrian Sutil
    21. Esteban Gutierrez

Toro Rosso

25. Jean Eric Vergne
    26. Daniel Kvyat

Williams

19. Felipe Massa
    77. Valtteri Bottas

Marussia

17. Jules Bianchi
    TBC Max Chilton

Caterham
    Both drivers to be confirmed

I still think it's a dumb idea.

[Source]
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I still think it's a dumb idea.
    You're a dumb idea.

#NASCAR

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    You're a dumb idea.

#NASCAR
    Ya mum's a dumb idea.

#OrSomething

Well certainly, from an entertainment point of view NASCAR is better than F1.

Also, the size the numbers in F1 cars are I doubt you'll be able to distinguish them.

So, yes, it is a preposterous idea.

However, awarding double points on the last race is fas worse.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Lewis Hamilton and the low merchandise sales in China/Japan/Korea might be a thing...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Why not award points to the drivers based on their numbers?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Why not award points to the drivers based on their numbers?
    Best idea yet.

That would actually do away completely with that tedious and completely unnecessary thing called racing that happens between the starting grid and the podium.
    Visca Catalunya!

A couple of (serious) ideas I've been thinking of between one nap and the other during the few races I've seen this year.

- mandatory timed lap during each qualifying session, enough with cars in the pits saving tires
    - progressively shorter qualifying sessions so that the last part, supposedly the most exciting because of the pole being awarded, doesn't turn out to be a show of cars parked in the garage for half of the time. I'd say they need something like 10, 7 and 5 minutes. Have them all in a locked room with a knife, basically.
    - points awarded to the first say 6 top qualifiers
    - scrap the parc ferm, allow for settings, fuel and tires to be changed between qualifying and the race
    - allow for refueling but don't make it mandatory, let the strategists and engineers decide (aka do their jobs)
    - enough with the mandatory use of both set of tires, either bring two both hypothetically well-performing tires or just bring one period
    - a couple of points awarded to the fastest lap (if the rain comes and the race is declared "wet" or a second fastest time could be recorded for a second set of points)
    - manufacturers points for the quickest pit stops? After all its considered part of the race, but it's mostly on the pit crew/team

I've always felt that during the races it's not how cars are designed, how the rules are or what the conditions are to make the races SO BORING (I can watch endurance racing with no problems, can't survive 30 minutes of F1), it's the fact that most drivers are simply not pushing because it's not worth it.
    Or at least that's my impression most of the time. So giving them some "incentives" (more points for some actions) should give them a bit more to fight for. Also, the races could be 200/250 km long (instead of 300), we wouldn't really notice the different distance but they should become more action packed. After all, half of us turn off the TV after a while, the other half fall asleep anyway, so no one is paying attention to the sponsors period.

I'd be happy to award points based on the time gap between cars, avoid drivers sailing to the finish line "because it's not worth it". It could be a nightmare to calculate and too complicated for the average follower.

On a more generic level of things, I'd stop continuous evolution of cars, allowing to introduce new parts something like 3 times a year. Monaco and Monza are supposed to be exceptions, but not anymore if they really want to reduce costs. After all HRT was doing without.
    New parts might still be tested during free practice sessions. They surely will bring a lot of useless and expensive carbon fiber bits, but without the possibility to actually use them for a few more races, things may get a bit more rational.
    New parts might be introduced on safety grounds at any time of course.

I'd also say, let them drive much more on Friday, let them have as many tires as they want and let them drive with how many drivers they want, and ban those pointless and pretentious "filming days" and straight line tests.

I'm probably fine with a single tire supplier, since it doesn't get points and it isn't something teams can really control. Then again customer teams have little to no say about the engines they buy.
    Let there be one tire supplier, but without senseless impositions on how to rig the "show".

Finally, for the "Bernie Hill Show" category of ideas (phun intended), drivers can't be beaten by their own team mates for two or three years consecutively, after that they are kicked out of F1.

Also, give some money even to the 11th team at the end of the year. When there were 10 teams they all got the money, even the dead last, now not anymore. What it is? If they didn't want to have more then 10 teams why call them in then. Oh wait.

A unique to simulate the sound of the new V6 engines:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkwt_1qhWYA"]V6 F1 Guitar Monza. Prediction of 2014 pole lap sound and time - YouTube[/ame]
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

If anyone doesn't know, Kobayashi turned down a contract renewal with Ferrari Corsa sports car team to go race for Caterham F1 for no money. Man wants to F1, and wasn't going to Ferrari because they got a Kimi. Shame he's going to be back of pack, but at least there'll be someone with some zest back there nibbling at Toro Rosso's heels.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    If anyone doesn't know, Kobayashi turned down a contract renewal with Ferrari Corsa sports car team to go race for Caterham F1 for no money. Man wants to F1, and wasn't going to Ferrari because they got a Kimi. Shame he's going to be back of pack, but at least there'll be someone with some zest back there nibbling at Toro Rosso's heels.
    Yeah at least I can care about backmarkers now. Their last 2 drivers were basically useless...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Because amusing.

Visca Catalunya!

Every car so far has been absolutely heinous.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information