Thread: What about a car with the engine between the rear seats?

What about a car with the engine between the rear seats?

To get mid-engine while preserving rear seat practicality.
    Have cars like this ever been produced?

I guess a long a slender engine would be better (like an inline 6), altough you can also fit a wide V-8 in a wide enough car with small enough rear seats. Humvee style.

Many luxury cars like Rolls Royce, Maybach have high center consoles so there´s enough space for an engine there.

It can be done:

The Renault Espace F1 uses a Williams F1 V10 placed in the middle of the rear seats!

But I don't know if it could be done practically as the heat and NVH issues should make it an engineering nightmare to reduce to Toyota Camry levels. Then there's the intake - where will the air come from if you put something over it (I'm guessing it's not going to be left uncovered)? Does it get piped in? It'll also be a nightmare to work on for your mechanic.

But with a few changes.... (runs off to AutoCAD)
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

No the INTAKES of the F1 engine are near the middle but the engine is behind and below

As with below, the packaging can't work because of needing air in and exhaust out
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    The heat would more or less cook the passengers either side, and the noise would be pretty nasty too. Best keep the motor in front or behind.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Well, it could most certently be done, if engineered corretly.

However you might stop to consider why one would do this. You could easily get a proper weight destribution without having it be mid engined (See Mx5), and if you are so much of an enthusiant that you NEED that perfect configuration, you would most likely just go for some 2-seater.

I doubt it would be viable in production cost, unless on a high perfomance car, and as with most high perfomance car, people who can afford them does usually also have the money to buy a 2nd car.

What happens in a head-on collision?

Provided the engine doesn't plough forward into the occupants now you need more crumple zone ahead of the cabin for that extra mass yet the crumple zone is weaker because there's no engine and transmission in there.

And what if you crash into someone with a front transaxle?

Also, all that mass at the rear might prove less stable on hard braking. Everything else being equal and with ESP or stability management off.

Safety? None. Speed? Practically none! Rear-wheel drive? Yes! Engine between the seats? Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post

Safety? None. Speed? Practically none! Rear-wheel drive? Yes! Engine between the seats? Yes!
    rear seats? No....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the crumple zone doesnt need to be larger in length nor woudl it be "weaker" if designed properly. True without an engine there it needs more design work and materials selection. But check out a Smart frontal crash, it does all right protecting those inside.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by SonyAD View Post
    What happens in a head-on collision?

Provided the engine doesn't plough forward into the occupants now you need more crumple zone ahead of the cabin for that extra mass yet the crumple zone is weaker because there's no engine and transmission in there.

And what if you crash into someone with a front transaxle?

Also, all that mass at the rear might prove less stable on hard braking. Everything else being equal and with ESP or stability management off.
    Pretty much every concern you just voiced would apply to any mid or rear engine car. Clearly it can be addressed and really for braking it can work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    rear seats? No....
    I couldn't find a picture, but there is also a dual-cab version.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I couldn't find a picture, but there is also a dual-cab version.
    sure, but then the engine will be between the front seats...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information