Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato 1960-1963

And the ones I posted came directly from the AM media site. I think it's appropriate to call them the experts.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

All GT Zagato's are not identical, all these pics are correct.

but some replicas are around
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

To confuse things more, some original unused chassis were eventually "recycled" in early 1990s with the emergence of the Sanction 2 cars (original DB4GTZ being Sanction 1)

Oh....they don't call them replicas anymore...they're 'recreations'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Oh....they don't call them replicas anymore...they're 'recreations'.
    yes, they share the Hindu belief in re-incarnation
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

would anybody be able to recognise this one as an original? Picture taken during the Silverstone Classics in 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    would anybody be able to recognise this one as an original? Picture taken during the Silverstone Classics in 2005
    It is definitely an original, chassis no DB4GT/0176.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    It is definitely an original, chassis no DB4GT/0176.
    Thank you, I was not sure, because every time I passed the car nobody was paying attention. But then, there were so many interesting cars during that weekend.....

Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato #19

Just a beauty

That one has quite a different and longer rear on it. Don't think I've seen that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    That one has quite a different and longer rear on it. Don't think I've seen that one before.
    It's true, it doesn't have the classic round tail. Does anyone know why?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Aston Martin DB4 GTZ #20
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's true, it doesn't have the classic round tail. Does anyone know why?
    I suspect this is the car currently owned by R S Williams, and the original owner had asked for the 'normal' DB4 rear lights, not the ones more typical of a Zagato
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

The Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato was introduced in October 1960 at the London Motor Show. It was effectively a DB4 GT, lightened and improved by the Zagato factory in Italy, by Ercole Spada. Initially the factory had plans to produce 25 cars, but demand wasn't as strong as expected and production ceased at the 20th unit. Nowadays, due to the rarity and popularity of the DB4 GT Zagato, the cars are worth a considerable amount of money, and at auction they reach well in excess of £1 million.

The popularity of the original DB4 GT Zagato has resulted in two subsequent waves of cars based on DB4s being rendered into "Zagatos" through the cooperation of Aston Martin and the Zagato works in Italy. They are known as "Sanction II" and "Sanction III" cars. Also, an unauthorised but lucrative private industry of modifying original DB4 GTs into "Zagato" replicas has arisen as well to meet market demand for high-quality Zagato recreations.

Engine

Although the specification of the engine was changed and upgraded throughout their racing history, the Zagato predominantly featured a 3.7-litre, aluminium, twin-spark, straight 6-cylinder engine. With a more powerful 9.7:1 compression ratio when compared to the DB4 GT engine.

The engine produced 314 hp (234 kW), a 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) acceleration of just 6.1 seconds and a top speed of approximately 154 mph (246 km/h).

Body

Ercole Spada at Zagato transformed the DB4 GT into a smaller, more aerodynamic, super lightweight car. Many steel components were replaced by aluminium counterparts. Basically all non-essential elements disappeared, such as the bumpers. With the help of Perspex and aluminium components, more than 100 pounds (45 kg) was shed off the DB4 GT.

Racing history

Four of the original Zagato's chassis', 0191, 0193, 0182(1 VEV) and 0183(2 VEV) were built to a lightened DP207/209 specification, especially for racing. The DP209 cars have a lower roofline, larger rear wings, a reshaped tail and flatter, longer front end.

The first competition outing of a DB4 GT Zagato was during Easter in 1961 at Goodwood. Driven by Stirling Moss the car finished 3rd, behind an Aston Martin DB4GT and the winning Ferrari 250 GT.

The most prominent DB4 GT Zagatos, affectionately known by the registration plates they share, of '1 VEV' and '2 VEV' which were both raced under the John Ogier's Essex Racing Stable with assistance from the Aston Martin factory. Both the Zagatos raced in the 1961 24 Hours of Le Mans. However a repeat of the 1959 Le Mans victory was not to be, with both cars retiring. In July 1961 at a British Grand Prix Support race the Zagato had its first victory. With '2 VEV' taking the last lap lead from a Jaguar E Type.

'2 VEV' crashed heavily at Spa in 1962 and was rebuilt to the lightweight DP209 specification. After a road accident in 1993 the car was returned to the 1962 specification.

Chassis 0200 raced in the 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans; however, a blown piston after 9 1⁄2 hours forced the car to retire.

Source: wikipedia.org
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information