Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > Automotive forums > General Automotive


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 3.31 average. Display Modes
  #286  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
roosterjuicer roosterjuicer is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Gods Country, USA
I have some thoughts on the current state of cars which I stumbled upon in my analysis of the McLaren P1. In short, I think we have hit a plateau in everything but quality.

there was a huge leap forward from the cars of the late 80's to the cars of the late 90's/early 2000's. There has not been a huge leap from the cars of the late 90's/early 2000's to the cars of today.

The lower segments seem to be much better than they were in the late '90's and early 2000's. Back then, a non-performance economy car was not even close to comparable to the economy cars of today, which, IMO, are decent little cars. A person can go buy a decent new car for under $25,000. The "performance" economy cars of today have not progressed as far as their lesser counterparts.

the same goes for mid market cars. they are all more comfortable, reliable and technologically advanced, but they are not leaps and bounds ahead of 90's cars like the 90's cars were vs the 80's cars.

Supercars are head and shoulders above the supercars of the 90's but hypercars are not.
__________________
A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Magnum9987's Avatar
Magnum9987 Magnum9987 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
I have some thoughts on the current state of cars which I stumbled upon in my analysis of the McLaren P1. In short, I think we have hit a plateau in everything but quality.

there was a huge leap forward from the cars of the late 80's to the cars of the late 90's/early 2000's. There has not been a huge leap from the cars of the late 90's/early 2000's to the cars of today.

The lower segments seem to be much better than they were in the late '90's and early 2000's. Back then, a non-performance economy car was not even close to comparable to the economy cars of today, which, IMO, are decent little cars. A person can go buy a decent new car for under $25,000. The "performance" economy cars of today have not progressed as far as their lesser counterparts.

the same goes for mid market cars. they are all more comfortable, reliable and technologically advanced, but they are not leaps and bounds ahead of 90's cars like the 90's cars were vs the 80's cars.

Supercars are head and shoulders above the supercars of the 90's but hypercars are not.
Hello? Bugatti Veyron?
And I would disagree. In america at least, just about every single car comes standard with heat, air conditioning, and a radio with cd or mp3 jack, and more and more are coming standard with automatics. And fewer people know why we ssy "roll the windows down" because all cars have power windows. And the price remains just about the same, despite the increased costs of all that fun stuff. Maybe not necessarily quality, but features have dramatically improved.
__________________
"Don't think your time on bad things
Just float your little mind around"
Jimi Hendrix
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,138
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Define improved.

I prefer a poverty car. Give me the option of omitting those things and lowering my base price and ongoing costs if I so choose.
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
roosterjuicer roosterjuicer is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Gods Country, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
Hello? Bugatti Veyron?
And I would disagree. In america at least, just about every single car comes standard with heat, air conditioning, and a radio with cd or mp3 jack, and more and more are coming standard with automatics. And fewer people know why we ssy "roll the windows down" because all cars have power windows. And the price remains just about the same, despite the increased costs of all that fun stuff. Maybe not necessarily quality, but features have dramatically improved.
Touche on the Veyron.

I agree with you on the other stuff. I said cars are better now, but not a huge leap compared to the leap between late 80's and late 90's.
__________________
A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
NSXType-R's Avatar
NSXType-R NSXType-R is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,608
East Coast of the United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
Hello? Bugatti Veyron?
And I would disagree. In america at least, just about every single car comes standard with heat, air conditioning, and a radio with cd or mp3 jack, and more and more are coming standard with automatics. And fewer people know why we ssy "roll the windows down" because all cars have power windows. And the price remains just about the same, despite the increased costs of all that fun stuff. Maybe not necessarily quality, but features have dramatically improved.
I don't quite agree with the price. Price relatively speaking has gone up- I remember Integras used to be at around $16,000. Honda Civics used to start at around $15,000. Now you can't really walk off the dealership without paying $18,000. It's true that cars are better equipped, but I feel like they're more complicated now than they need to be.
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Define improved.

I prefer a poverty car. Give me the option of omitting those things and lowering my base price and ongoing costs if I so choose.
Indeed.

And not only that, but I'd like to spend the money I saved on other things (like better brakes, lightweight parts, etc.)
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
If car makers catered to women, they would handle better, use less fuel, be lighter and... have more space for purses.

Car ads for women: Does the industry get it all wrong? - Slate Magazine

Discuss.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 AM
pimento's Avatar
pimento pimento is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,536
Perth, Australia
A buncha good points.. but I still want a car that looks good.
__________________
Life's too short to drive bad cars.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Seat Official Says Hidden Rear Door Handles Hurt Sales of Previous Leon - Carscoops

He is wrong. It was the squashed Altea styling.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,138
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
If it's true, I would question people who can't recognize a door - are they really intelligent enough to be driving to begin with?
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Clivey's Avatar
Clivey Clivey is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,193
Derby, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
If it's true, I would question people who can't recognize a door - are they really intelligent enough to be driving to begin with?
I think you know the answer to that...

__________________
"This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,138
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
I think you know the answer to that...

Or, if you ever watched Absolutely Fabulous...they should just pay a stupid tax.
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
LTSmash's Avatar
LTSmash LTSmash is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
there was a huge leap forward from the cars of the late 80's to the cars of the late 90's/early 2000's.
In terms of emissions and safety, absolutely. But the fun factor, not so much. Especially in this very current state of the car; I'm just not interested.

My daily driver is old and outdated... Yeah, so? At least it's engaging and fun to drive. Can't say the same of what's being put on the market today. It's so bland, in my eyes at least.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
jcp123's Avatar
jcp123 jcp123 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,138
Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
Send a message via AIM to jcp123
Find my post from earlier. I think automakers are short on genuinely new ideas, and are tweaking old ones in the post-cheap-fuel era.
__________________
An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
In terms of emissions and safety, absolutely. But the fun factor, not so much. Especially in this very current state of the car; I'm just not interested.

My daily driver is old and outdated... Yeah, so? At least it's engaging and fun to drive. Can't say the same of what's being put on the market today. It's so bland, in my eyes at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Find my post from earlier. I think automakers are short on genuinely new ideas, and are tweaking old ones in the post-cheap-fuel era.
Two letters and two numbers.

G, T, 8 and 6.

So it's not all lost yet.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lotus City Car Concept Ecnelis Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 19 10-06-2010 03:25 PM
how to be a ricer C4Power Car comparison 36 02-03-2009 05:02 PM
Car of the Year Awards 2008 [PLEASE READ FIRST] fisetdavid26 Awards 33 12-04-2008 02:33 PM
She drives like a Chick Niko_Fx Multimedia 15 07-20-2005 06:22 PM
Manual Transmission Orefus Technical forums 16 07-16-2005 10:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.

 

1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com