Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Problem

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Do you use Canadian Tire money to get it fixed?
    How do you know about that? Canadian Tire money is a national secret secondary currency. It is largely used to purschase prostitutes.

Flux capacitors ARE in 100% of time-travelling cars.

I dont have any Canadian Tire money, last time I bought something from Canadian Tire, the store not the mechanics, was a hammer two years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    How do you know about that? Canadian Tire money is a national secret secondary currency. It is largely used to purschase prostitutes.
    I may live in NY but I'm so close to the border that I get flyers in the mail for the Canadian Tire in Ottawa/Kanata where ever it is. I've been there I think a long time ago and I only recall one isle of tires.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Take the car to a reputable shop. By reputable I mean not a place that does tires or fluid changes for their main business. Pay the hour diagnostic fee, and if you're going to have it fixed, have it fixed right. Otherwise, dump the car and get something newer.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    dump the car and get something newer.
    That's probably going to happen

its most likely the trani has just plain gone out, but a mechanic could probabaly tell you over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    I may live in NY but I'm so close to the border that I get flyers in the mail for the Canadian Tire in Ottawa/Kanata where ever it is. I've been there I think a long time ago and I only recall one isle of tires.
    Well it is nicknamed Crappy tire...

Since we are on the topic anyway, i thought I'd post my own question here...

On my Alto the reverse doesn't always engage properly. You put it in gear and let the clutch come and nothing happens. It makes an odd noise and then does nothing. The noise can be described as a slight wwrrrr sound, but not the regular engine noise.

When you disengage it and put it in gear again, it works properly again. Any clue on what it might be ? Would it be able to fix myself (cheaply) ?

thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001 View Post
    My 1992 Ford Taurus can no longer back up.

What kind of problem could this be?
    I think the transmission may be the cause. The car has an automatic.

How much money would be needed to fix it?
    The car it self is worth less $6000 CAD, so I might sell it instead if it is too expensive.
    This is most certainly a problem with it's brain.
    It can be sorted by finding an old/new replacement brain.
    I think so because of it's ability to reverse if you have just driven forwards.
    Maybe it can be re-maped/reset...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Since we are on the topic anyway, i thought I'd post my own question here...

On my Alto the reverse doesn't always engage properly. You put it in gear and let the clutch come and nothing happens. It makes an odd noise and then does nothing. The noise can be described as a slight wwrrrr sound, but not the regular engine noise.

When you disengage it and put it in gear again, it works properly again. Any clue on what it might be ? Would it be able to fix myself (cheaply) ?

thx in advance
    A combination between sloppy linkage from the stick to the tranny, and weared syncro rings. Or only one of them.
    Linkage problem can be solved easyily at a shop in most cases.
    Syncro rings change needs gearbox re-build or replacement, or a wiser thougth: Look for a new car.

EDIT: ah.. sorry.. no syncro rings on reverse.. so definately linkage problem...
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 03-01-2007 at 02:13 AM.

A combination between sloppy linkage from the stick to the tranny, and weared syncro rings. Or only one of them.
    Linkage problem can be solved easyily at a shop in most cases.
    Syncro rings change needs gearbox re-build or replacement, or a wiser thougth: Look for a new car.

EDIT: ah.. sorry.. no syncro rings on reverse.. so definately linkage problem...
    Thanks. If I find time this weekend, it will go on the bridge I'll check the others too, because I find it shifting quite poorly anyway. When slowing down, engaging the first gear goes pretty hard mostly. You really have to use force to put it in. The speeds are not too high though, 15 km/h should be good enough to engage first. Is my thinking correct if I think this problem has the same cause ?

Thanks. If I find time this weekend, it will go on the bridge I'll check the others too, because I find it shifting quite poorly anyway. When slowing down, engaging the first gear goes pretty hard mostly. You really have to use force to put it in. The speeds are not too high though, 15 km/h should be good enough to engage first. Is my thinking correct if I think this problem has the same cause ?
    The first gear has no syncro rings either.
    Thats why it's hard/impossible to get it in.
    A golden rule for good gearbox-treatment is to never put it in 1st before you stand still. 0 km/h. On syncor-mesh gearboxes.
    The syncro rings are used to even out the speed difference between two gears. Check out howstuffworks, probably explained more/better there.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    The first gear has no syncro rings either.
    Thats why it's hard/impossible to get it in.
    A golden rule for good gearbox-treatment is to never put it in 1st before you stand still. 0 km/h. On syncor-mesh gearboxes.
    The syncro rings are used to even out the speed difference between two gears. Check out howstuffworks, probably explained more/better there.
    You basically have to, when driving in the city. Traffic creeps forward really slow and you have to slam your brakes all the time. The tiny 1.0 has nowhere near enough power to drive normally under 25-30 km/h in 2nd. You just HAVE to. When i get home i'll have a look in one of my books, im sure it is in there. We just didnt get to the subject of gearboxes yet...

You basically have to, when driving in the city. Traffic creeps forward really slow and you have to slam your brakes all the time. The tiny 1.0 has nowhere near enough power to drive normally under 25-30 km/h in 2nd. You just HAVE to. When i get home i'll have a look in one of my books, im sure it is in there. We just didnt get to the subject of gearboxes yet...
    You may do it as much as you want.
    But the gearbox is still not made to do that.
    If it was, they would have put shyncroes on 1st to.
    I learned, and excercise it every day in traffic: as long as the car rolls, you can drive in 2nd.

The exact same thing happens in our 206 sometimes, usually when it's cold. Although it can be noticed when it's not engaged properly, the stick is almost there but not quite. When that happens, I just put it on 1. gear, rev it a bit and then put it to the R again, after which it works fine. I never thought of it as a malfunction though, here the temperature often makes trannys a little stiff and - well - it's a french car.

Thread Information