Thread: Volvo S40/V50 go under the knife

Volvo S40/V50 go under the knife

Thanks Volvo, thank you for essentially ruining the tail lights of the V50... At least their LED now EDIT: In truth, they're not THAT bad...

Nose job and tail tuck for Volvo's S40, V50

April 10, 2007

Volvo's best-selling 2006 models, the S40 sedan and V50 Sportswagon, have been given a modest face/tail lift and a reworked cabin to bring them into line with the latest Volvo styling.

Both models have moved closer to the Volvo S80 saloon's design cues and both models have a reprofiled nose and chromed "egg-crate" grille with a much larger Volvo badge and three air intakes.

Production will start in May 2007 and the cars will be in showrooms by July.

There are new, clear-cover headlights and a full-width air intake that also incorporates the front foglights. A central mesh section has replaced the three-part air intake.

The S40's new tail lights include LED brake lights but are smaller and 30mm higher. A new rear bumper, revised boot release design and a more sporting exhaust complete the visual makeover on both cars.

The V50 Sportswagon's revised rear gets slimmer tall tail lights with LED brake lights - the rest is much the same as the sedan, including the exhaust.

The door sills on both models have also been changed; their cabins have been given more storage space and there's a wider choice of trim.

Their "floating" centre stack has revised controls and there's a "multifunction" storage box between the front seats, a smaller handbrake and a revised front armrest.

The lower sections of the front door panels are now wider and Bi-Xenon headlights with swivelling beams can be specified as an option.

Under emergency braking or when the anti-lock function is activated the three brake lights will flash five times a second to warn following drivers of the emergency. (whether everyone will be able to tell they ARE actually flashing and understand what they mean I do not know...)
    IsoFix child-seat anchors and water-repellent windscreens and side glass are also now featured as standard.

A six-speed manual gearbox will be introduced for the D5 diesel and will make the TurboDiesel D5 not only the fastest diesel Volvo to date but also one of the cleanest.

Pictures: www.worldcarfans.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 04-12-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I like it. I'll take a V50 T5 in a dark color. And I personally I don't think it has been ruined.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I like it. I'll take a V50 T5 in a dark color. And I personally I don't think it has been ruined.
    I'm a huge fan of Volvo's, especially the estate. V50 T5 Sport in grey for me please, I just think that getting rid of the little circular reverse and indicator lights has made it a little bland, but having looked at it a little harder, it's growing on me like the XC90's have.

Motion & Emotion

god that dashboard is swedish.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Its not an awesome, but it's not bad. Volvo's been pretty solid with their looks.

You know, it looks a little like the new lancer... but I think that is the other way around... The new lancer looks a little like a Volvo.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    whether everyone will be able to tell they ARE actually flashing and understand what they mean I do not know...
    I can notice my CRT screen "flashing" at 65Hz, so 5Hz should be more than clear.

As to knowing "what they mean"; they are brake lights - everyone knows what they mean. (One would hope.)

The flashing function (along with systems which activate hazard lights) is merely to draw the attention of following drivers, who may not be concentrating fully on the road ahead, or in conditions of limited visibility that make it difficult to judge speed and distance, and therefore distinguish between the car in front braking gently and performing an emergency stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    I can notice my CRT screen "flashing" at 65Hz, so 5Hz should be more than clear.

As to knowing "what they mean"; they are brake lights - everyone knows what they mean. (One would hope.)

The flashing function (along with systems which activate hazard lights) is merely to draw the attention of following drivers, who may not be concentrating fully on the road ahead, or in conditions of limited visibility that make it difficult to judge speed and distance, and therefore distinguish between the car in front braking gently and performing an emergency stop.
    What I meant was, whether people would recognise that the flashing meant that it was an emergency situation, but now you mention hazard FLASHERS I see the point in them now.

Motion & Emotion

I love volvo's. This is a good looking car that I would love to drive. They may not be great looking cars etc. But at least you know your safe in one, especially with all the lunatic's that have their licences on the roads.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

Thoughts

I have a Volvo S40 T5 AWD Black, I'm doin a few mod's to it myself, mostly from EVOLVE: S40N Main Grille Stock or Aerokit, S40N Lower Grilles Aerokit, S40N Diffuser Grille Aerokit, Performance Software S40N T-5 Turbo(+35 hp) , Eibach Lowering Kit, so what i'm wondering are what better or diffrent mods can i do to it as well. Should i buy the aerodynaimc kit offered for plus 2 grand or is that not going to do anything, also if i wanted to out a diffrent turbo in my car what can fit into it? thanks, cole

Nice car, all sounds good. You should talk to Quiggs about that sort of stuff, welcome to UCP!

Motion & Emotion

'never change a winning team' or what. it's a nice looking car from the start of production, so volvo did good not change to many, just some detail-updating. just a shame that the s40 has also gotten that rampant epidemic small spoiler at the tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mäusekino View Post
    just a shame that the s40 has also gotten that rampant epidemic small spoiler at the tailgate.
    This can probably be deleted, and may only be standard in the T5.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

its standard on the S40 T5 & S40 D5
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Thread Information