Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tape deck ipod thingy

i use one. little tip, set the ipod volume at about 10% less than top, if its all the way up u get some clipping, but if its too quiet u get a lot of noise from the speakers, at least my experience.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    My mom's car has it fully integrated, but my car is a 2000 and i don't think they even had iPods then.
    haha im all about after market, mines an '01 but they had a kit to run a new 80 gig video

EDIT: i have dice in my car and they have some gm models too http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...-GM-R-Cadillac
    Also heard some good things about ipod2car peripheral http://www.carstereos.com/ipod_integration.html
    Last edited by chris98891; 06-16-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Nah I'm getting either an Alpine or Premier head unit which has full integration. but also a new head unit, I'd rather spend $250 and get a new head unit too than $160 for only integration...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari View Post
    i use one. little tip, set the ipod volume at about 10% less than top, if its all the way up u get some clipping, but if its too quiet u get a lot of noise from the speakers, at least my experience.
    That actually solved what I was just about to come on here and bitch about.

You guys have been really helpful, thanks alot.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    My radio was the cheapest available, but still has a MP3-jack and a option for MP3-CD's. I usually burn them by music style. Say I download some Acid, I get the CD from my car and burn some new stuff on it. Say I download some Schranz, etcetera... This way I have only 15 cd's in my ride and still a huge collection !

I was thinking about installing Ford's OEM optional Blaupunkt MP3 CD player. I've never used or seen used an MP3 CD, but it has to beat burning 20 songs at a time, right? Besides, I think it looks better than the stock AM/FM/CD player.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Much better way to do it is this. It charges your iPod and takes the sound from the aux out in the bottom, so the quality is better and you never need to worry about charging it. It also takes volume setting issues out. But yea, I have one of them plugged into my tape adaptor dealie and the difference is huge.

I have the tape deck coming out the top and then my cigarette lighter charger plugged in the bottom. But I'm almost ready to get my new head unit, and I'll never have to worry about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    I have the tape deck coming out the top and then my cigarette lighter charger plugged in the bottom. But I'm almost ready to get my new head unit, and I'll never have to worry about it again.
    That takes care of the charging then. For anyone else who is doing this long term, I can't rant on enough about how much better it is with something like the linked product so the audio is coming from the dock connector. Your ears will thank you in the morning.

I'll agree that it's pretty messy having a wire going from the tape player to the iPod then another one from the ipod to the cigarette lighter, can't wait for hidden wire integration.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Much better way to do it is this. It charges your iPod and takes the sound from the aux out in the bottom, so the quality is better and you never need to worry about charging it. It also takes volume setting issues out. But yea, I have one of them plugged into my tape adaptor dealie and the difference is huge.
    I read years back on CNet and a couple of other sources that charging it before the battery had run down was exceptionally bad for the battery...?

That's partly true for NiMH and Alkaline rechargeable batteries, but only because it gives them a false memory and they won't charge and run to their full capacity, but that doesn't apply to Lithium batteries.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Ah...so they basically run like deep cycle batteries? Now I'm confused, though...do "older" iPods like mine have alkaline/NiMH batteries and newer ones have Lithiums, then? Because the articles specifically talked about iPods and not re-charging them before the batteries had run down was highly, highly stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    I read years back on CNet and a couple of other sources that charging it before the battery had run down was exceptionally bad for the battery...?
    Mine never runs down, I don't use it out of the car. The best thing would be to run it flat once a month, if you're concerned. I do that with my laptop to make sure, though they say it's less critical nowadays.

Havent read all the posts, but impressed that the stuff seems to be working. Was having to debate the use of either a tape adaptor or an fm transmitter, decided on the latter (came free with summat) and it was so crap - thats the price you pay (sheesh... so bad). thankfully got no quibbles now, car came with an mp3 cd player as standard!
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Ah...so they basically run like deep cycle batteries? Now I'm confused, though...do "older" iPods like mine have alkaline/NiMH batteries and newer ones have Lithiums, then? Because the articles specifically talked about iPods and not re-charging them before the batteries had run down was highly, highly stressed.
    iPods have always had lithium ion batteries. And you should avoid deep discharging a Lithium ion or lithium polymer.

Thread Information