Thread: Sebastien Loeb knighted

Sebastien Loeb knighted

from WRC.com

Defending World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb has been awarded a knighthood, receiving the ‘Légion d’honneur’ from French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
    The ‘Légion d'honneur’ is the highest award that can be given to any individual in France and recognises outstanding achievement from French citizens.
    Loeb was given his knighthood at an award ceremony at the Elysée Palace in Paris yesterday. Surrounded by his family, close friends and senior management from the PSA group which owns Citroen Racing, the five-time champion was warmly congratulated by Nicolas Sarkozy.
    “I am extremely honoured to have been recognised in this way by the President of the Republic,” said Sebastien. “This award is given to an individual, but I would like to share it with each and every member of the Citroen team. Every time that we hear the French National Anthem played at the end of a rally, we all feel exactly the same pride at having showcased France to the best of all our abilities.
    “I hope now that I can continue to worthily represent my country by claiming a sixth consecutive World Rally Championship title at the end of this year.” he added.

its about time. i cant really think of any other french sportsmen at the moment deserving of this status.

“This award is given to an individual, but I would like to share it with each and every member of the Citroen team. Every time that we hear the French National Anthem played at the end of a rally, we all feel exactly the same pride at having showcased France to the best of all our abilities."
    Fine sentiments from the Sportsman, good on him.

I know little of the person, but clearly an exceptionally gifted talent and a very worthy Champion.

Congratulations to him. And yes, what he said is very very right, and displays a true sportsman!
    www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    its about time. i cant really think of any other french sportsmen at the moment deserving of this status.
    Henri Pescarolo?

Anyway, Loeb fully deserves to be honoured. Whether it has to be done by Sarkozy is another matter, but being the multitalent he is, praise is in order.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maybe Thierry Henri in years past coulda gotten this award, or Zinedane Zidane - more aptly Zidane I guess as he is one of the better soccers players ever (so I am told).

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Maybe Thierry Henri in years past coulda gotten this award, or Zinedane Zidane - more aptly Zidane I guess as he is one of the better soccers players ever (so I am told).
    He was one of the best i've ever seen, but his actions during his last ever game would probably eliminate him from the award.

He headbutted an Italian player, on the field.
    May the downforce be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Now racing driver could be no science rocket men, but a soccer player isn't usually a smart dude, an educated, slightly acculturated, or moderately classy person.
    that said from one living in one of the countries the most afflicted by a social plague called soccer.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Now racing driver could be no science rocket men, but a soccer player isn't usually a smart dude, an educated, slightly acculturated, or moderately classy person.
    that said from one living in one of the countries the most afflicted by a social plague called soccer.
    I think it's unfair to generalise though.

Like all Bimmer drivers being assholes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I can agree on the second...but I don't know a soccer player being actually a nice person, really. Sooner or later, those I thought were nice, then turned out being as all the others soccer players I didn't like in first place.

I'm also not into soccer anymore since a lot of years though, and there are probably exceptions. It's indeed a generalization, which eventually may be applied marginally to Zidane being a nice guy and all, and then acting that way we know.
    Now I don't care about soccer, the Italian team or eve the world cup, really. I just think that acting that way was a bit childish, no matter what Materazzi (the other player) said. And obviously I can't believe Materazzi himself didn't say something to piss Zidane off. Just look at him or listen to how full of himself he is.
    the list of good examples goes on...then if there are genuine guys playing soccer here and then, my apologies to them, but I saw too many soccer matches controlled by state police men, deaths during matches (two this year), fights (both on the field and on the tribunes), racists slogans and so much more to even try to have a decent idea of soccer.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Let's talk about Loeb.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I don't think the Bimmer one is "unfair". I'd say it's warranted to be honest. If anything, we should go further with it

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    I don't think the Bimmer one is "unfair". I'd say it's warranted to be honest. If anything, we should go further with it
    If I may be more specific, 335i/M3 drivers in particular...
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by switters78 View Post
    If I may be more specific, 335i/M3 drivers in particular...
    I'd say more X5/X6 drivers.

Altough in their defense, the other day in the motorway I was being followed by an X6 and he kept a good distance and didn't try to undertake when he moved to the right.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information