Thread: All-new Camaro ZL1, ex-Marshall and Brock Vauxhall and new McLaren GT4 car ...

All-new Camaro ZL1, ex-Marshall and Brock Vauxhall and new McLaren GT4 car ...

Ahead of the official launch at the upcoming New York Auto Show, Chevrolet revealed the first details of the 2017 model year Camaro ZL1. While it retains the supercharged V8 engine of its predecessor, it packs 60 more horsepower and is also close to 100 kg lighter. All new on the Camaro ZL1 is an optional 10-speed automatic gearbox, which has very small steps between the gears to help keep the rpm in the optimal range during acceleration. The new ZL1 will be available at the dealers before the end of the year.
    At the upcoming Goodwood Members Meeting sale, Bonhams will offer the unique Vauxhall Firenza Magnum DTV. Prepared specifically for the 1977 Spa 24 Hours by the Dealer Team Vauxhall, it was raced to the class win and second overall by legendary touring car aces Gerry Marshall and Peter Brock. After spending many years in a shed, the Group 1 Firenza Magnum was completely restored to its original configuration and colour scheme.
    McLaren Automotive have expanded their competition car line-up with the 570S GT4. Relatively closely related to the production 570S, it will be available to customers at a later day. For now the car will be developed in the British GT Championship where it is fielded by Black Bull Ecurie Ecosse. In addition to the 570S GT4, McLaren will also offer a 'Sprint' version, which is aimed for use at track-days as it does not comply with the tight regulations. Owners of the Sprint 570S can always decide to upgrade their car to full GT4 specification though.

Enjoy the links:

2016 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - Images, Specifications and Information

1977 Vauxhall Firenza Magnum DTV - Images, Specifications and Information

2016 McLaren 570S GT4 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That ZL1 is quite ugly, especially compared to the brutality of the last gen.

... It will be incredible however. As a man who flies the Mustang flag in the current pony car wars, I kinda get cheezed when the Camaro always beats the Stang in comparos. Ford must bring it with whatever replaces the GT500 in the "dick wagging" segment of the pony car market, especially with the new ZL1 and the insanity of the Hellcat (built with pride in Brampton, Ontario, 20 mins from me - had to say it). You have to give props to the GM engineers working at Cadillac and Chevrolet who make performance vehicles. They have done some incredible work.

More consistently quality small cars and crossovers to supplement GMs excellent big trucks and performance cars is required for further success. Car and Driver was quite high on the new 'Bu, which is nice to hear. Cadillac being in the wilderness re: sales is fairly depressing. But I digress.

Not sure if it's just me or not, but I never liked the current crop of Camaros. Give me the Mustang GT350- it's pretty much the American version of the Porsche GT3.

I do like the Corvette for higher end sports cars though.

I agree with NSX on this, I'm sorry the but the Camaro doesn't do it for me.

The Mustang on the other hand feels like what an European would do if he had to design a muscle car (I mean overhead cams and independent rear suspensions? What are they supposed to do in a muscle car?). The GT350 sounds amazing, though.

In the end, however, my soft spot if for the Challenger. It's what an American muscle car should be, a bit rubbish but it's impossible to not like it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I agree with NSX on this, I'm sorry the but the Camaro doesn't do it for me.

The Mustang on the other hand feels like what an European would do if he had to design a muscle car (I mean overhead cams and independent rear suspensions? What are they supposed to do in a muscle car?). The GT350 sounds amazing, though.

In the end, however, my soft spot if for the Challenger. It's what an American muscle car should be, a bit rubbish but it's impossible to not like it.
    The Camaro has too many compromises. It's too big. The windows are too tiny. You can't see out of it. The interior is cramped and small for no reason. The trunk opening is tiny too.

And the styling is ridiculous for no reason. Maybe it's also because I hate the Transformers movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the end, however, my soft spot if for the Challenger. It's what an American muscle car made in Canada should be, a bit rubbish but it's impossible to not like it.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The Camaro has too many compromises. It's too big. The windows are too tiny. You can't see out of it. The interior is cramped and small for no reason. The trunk opening is tiny too.

And the styling is ridiculous for no reason. Maybe it's also because I hate the Transformers movies.
    Yeah, that basically.

Very roughly, I think the Mustang is the fun choice, the Camaro is the thinking person's choice, and the Challenger is the insane choice. I appreciate something about all three cars, and love that there are many flavours of each, and that we can discuss the merits of each in a civil fashion. Were I in a non-hypothetical situation with money in hand, I'd take a lightly optioned Mustang GT with a stick, please and thank you.

This being said, I appreciate the single mindedness of the Z28, the lunacy of the GT500, the ingenuity of the Ecoboost, the power of the Z28, and the insane rawness of the Hellcat (not Hellcat, the UCP member)... We can all agree the V6 Challenger is an utter POS and a disgrace to America, and Canada even.

What times we live in.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 03-16-2016 at 09:17 PM.

If I lived overseas I'd have to have a Hemi 392 Challenger, cowboy boots, denim jeans, stetson hat, the lot. Being from commie-euroland I might as well have the full experience.

Here in Europe the Mustang GT is tempting, but unfortunately I don't think it makes much sense...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Having been around, inside, and about in them, I actually prefer the looks of the new Camaro over the Mustang. With one losing weight and the other gaining, the only uber pig remaining is the Challenger -- which drives and feels every bit as heavy as its curb weight states.

The Mustang, no, my number one gripe with it is that it still looks like a 4-door Fusion/Mondeo, and the interior looks plain incongruent. Having been close with a couple of GT350s, I don't think they sound that amazing either. I do, however, love the GT350 concept as a whole; everything from the snake badges to the name and stripes.

The previous generation ZL1 got smacked by the GT500 somewhat bad. It'll be interesting to see what Ford brings out with the next GT500 -- but I sure do hope it's based on a V8.
    Turning money into memories.

Thread Information