Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exuast noise

put a sierra rs500 cosworth engine, running gear in there with a cossie exhaust system and it will sound nicer
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Never mind all this embarrasment stuff - although it is highly rubbish to have a car that loud unless it has 6 or more cylinders and has the 'bite to match the bark'.

Fiddling with the exhaust on your car is a BAD idea - check out the pic attached. I know that's an F1 engine, but there's a very good reason for all those crazy bends. 'Back pressure' is very important to how your engine runs, the flow of gases is crucial to a motor functioning correctly, cutting the muffler out of your exhaust will mess it up big time... you'll get big f*ck off holes (or flat spots) in the power delivery and you'll go through fuel like you were driving a dragster.

The main point here is that it will make your car slower. Secondly it will be much less efficient.

All-in-all: bad idea.

Seconded. Factory engineers know what they're doing when they design the system. Leave it alone and save your money to spend on babes that will go out with you if the car is clean and runs well, but likely won't if it's a fussel-tuned ricer.

When I was 16 I had a '65 Shelby, frighteningly fast and loud as shit. Never got nookie. A year later I got a '67 Healey 3000 MkIII...
    the girls loved that car! And keep it safe... both the car and, well, you know...
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
    Hey, I just turned 16 and bought a 1992 honda accord (manual baby). It's a great car but I'd like to make it a little more fun to drive (it's already pretty fun). I was thinking cutting off the muffler and leave it with straight pipes cuz I can't afford replacing them. The engine is only an inline-4 and I am wondering would removing the muffler make it too loud.
    If you're going to modify on the cheap then don't worry about it and leave it alone, unless you have a rusted through exhaust system. But when you do have some money to start throwing away on your pride and joy, modify if correctly. The stock exhaust manifold is usually cast iron and designed to be cheap and flow only adequately. You'll see the biggest improvement by changing the to headers. Then you'll want to consider a high flow catalytic converter and a cat-back exhaust.

On the intake side, keeping air cool is the goal; heat shield, Cold air induction, better flowing air filter will all get you get cooler, denser air into the engine.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

there is a way to drill two holes in your muffler and have hp gain in top end, my freind did that to his stock eclipse and had hp gain, it is just that the method is unpopular and requires alot of knowledge beforehand,

if you can find a person who did it before, get some measurement bout where to drill, this has to be in the same engine, same muffler and just do it
    you could do this when you are just about done with your stock muffler
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    you could do this when you are just about done with your stock muffler
    Good plan, give it a try when you have the replacement ready, so if it does go horribly wrong, or you hate it, you can just stuff the new one on there.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Thread Information