Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans, LMS and ALMS news

Quote Originally Posted by MPME View Post
    I hear the ALMS will be allowing GT4 cars into the GT3 Cup for 5 rounds as well.
    Are there any GT4 class cars in America yet? SCCA? Grand AM?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Are there any GT4 class cars in America yet? SCCA? Grand AM?
    I think SCCA was running them last year.

The Koni Challenge GT class cars are pretty close to GT4

Dumas and Bernhard to Audi for Le Mans

Porsche press release:

Porsche works drivers Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) will pilot an Audi R15 TDI at the Le Mans 24 hour race (13/14 June). As the two most successful Porsche pilots of the last years, they join the driver line up of the Ingolstadt company. Together, Bernhard and Dumas won all titles in the American Le Mans Series with the RS Spyder and for 2009 contest the Grand-Am Series in a Porsche Riley for Penske Racing.

Both Porsche works drivers are amongst the world’s most experienced and successful sports car pilots. Timo Bernhard (28) won the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2008, celebrated overall victory in 2003 at the Daytona 24 Hours and over the last three years proved unbeatable at the Nürburgring 24 hour race. In Le Mans he won the GT class in 2002. With Penske Racing, Bernhard secured for Porsche the drivers’ championship and the team title in 2007 and 2008 as well as the chassis and engine classification in the American Le Mans Series. “The Le Mans 24 Hour event is the only long distance race where I haven’t yet won the overall classification. I’m absolutely thrilled to fight for victory this year with the Audi R15 TDI,” says Timo Bernhard. “At the 12 Hours of Sebring a fortnight ago you could already see that the R15 was a fast and reliable car. Now I can’t wait for the first test drives.”

Romain Dumas (31) was already loaned out to an LMP1 team over the last two years. He contested the race for the squad under Henri Pescarolo and claimed third overall in 2007. During the last two years he paired up with Timo Bernhard to clinch overall victory at the 24 hour race on the Nürburgring Nordschleife in a Porsche 911 GT3 RSR. He also secured the American Le Mans Series title in 2007 and 2008 with his team mate. “As a Frenchman, the Le Mans 24 Hours has a very special meaning. Every young driver dreams of climbing to the top of the podium in Le Mans,” explains Dumas. “I’m ecstatic to be driving a winner car. Thanks to Porsche and Audi who have both made this possible.”

Porsche’s head of motorsport, Hartmut Kristen, is also looking forward to working with Audi: “Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas are without doubt two of the best drivers at the wheel of a sports prototype. That’s why we are happy to lend them to our colleagues in Ingolstadt. Now the cooperation between the Porsche and Audi brands will also bear fruit in motorsport.”
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The more this happens the less I think Porsche will be making a Le Mans car in their own name....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    The more this happens the less I think Porsche will be making a Le Mans car in their own name....
    Or maybe this is a way to get their drivers more experience and shall we say.....gain some knowledge from the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    They are ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    They are ...
    and when we are going to see it?
    after the R15 is gone I would say.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    They are ...
    This is excellent news.

Are there any details at all at this point and how do you know?

MCNISH: Another Classic Sebring
    Welcome to my first column on SPEEDtv.com! With Sebring behind me, I must say that it's fantastic to finally get the 2009 season underway.
    AUTO-RACING - MCNISH: Another Classic Sebring - SPEEDtv.com

LONG: The Groove
    Whether it's driving a GT2 Porsche at Sebring, wielding an LMP2 Porsche RS Spyder, or piloting a 962, Patrick Long enjoys the challenge.
    AUTO-RACING - LONG: The Groove - SPEEDtv.com

BELL: Pitlane Perspective
    After 23 years behind the wheel, transitioning to the world of commentating has been rather eye-opening -- in a positive way.
    AUTO-RACING - BELL: Pitlane Perspective - SPEEDtv.com

WHITE: "Hell Week"
    We survived “Hell Week” (as I have affectionately named Sebring) better than most, not as good as some but the crew definitely earned “Warrior Status”.
    AUTO-RACING - WHITE: “Hell Week” - SPEEDtv.com

Cal Naughton, Jr.: So when you say psychosomatic, you mean like he could start a fire with his thoughts?

I must say that it's fantastic to finally get the 2009 season underway.
    Indeed, we're all with you there!

It's nice having your updates in here too...in case I haven't said it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Indeed, we're all with you there!

It's nice having your updates in here too...in case I haven't said it before.
    Indeed - I don't always remember to check Speed's website but Mr. P as well as others have some good articles.

I gotta say that Nishy is my favourite sportscar driver and probably my second favourite driver overall.

Pescarolo 09 updates:
    Mulsanne's Corner News, March/April 2009

Note the Dome-like legality louver between the front fender and the tub...

Have to give Pescarolo respect to be pressing on with this....on what is essentially a very long running evolution of the C60 from almost a decade ago...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Probably the best looking interation of the Pesca I've seen at Mulsanne's Corner. And he has the PlayStation sponsorship back-I hope that helps this weekend, and this year for that matter.
    Power to me is having the ability to make a change in a positive way. Don't dream it, be it.

First free practice results.
    !. Aston Martin
    2. Pescarolo 2009
    3. Zytek 09

Audi 7th and 12th or something like that, still very much off the pace,
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If the cars are as difficult to drive as the Audi regulars make it out to be, then I think they are into a steep learning curve...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information