Thread: NAIAS round-up, new Subaru engined sports car and two historic racers for auction

NAIAS round-up, new Subaru engined sports car and two historic racers for auction

One of the last cars introduced at this year's North American International Auto Show was the Honda CR-Z. First seen over two years ago in Tokyo as the CR-Z Concept, the styling of the new two-door coupe is clearly inspired by the CRX of the 1980s. Whereas the CRX of old used a powerful VTEC engine, the new CR-Z uses an altogether greener hybrid drivetrain. The 'IMA' system uses a 1.5 litre four cylinder and an electric motor that produce a combined 122 bhp. Although the mileage and emission figures are very impressive we can't help but hope that Honda will expand the CR-Z range with a more powerful engine. At the second day of the show, General Motors revealed most of their new cars. These included the Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept. This luxury sedan also uses a hybrid power-train but this one is good for a more appealing 350 bhp. The production version of the XTS is not expected to differ much from the Concept launched at Detroit. Saleen launched a new iPhone application and a website at Detroit and showed two Mustang variants that were already launched last year. We had missed the Saleen S281 when it debuted at SEMA. Powered by a 485 bhp supercharged V8, it is the most powerful Saleen available this year.
    One of the new cars on display at this weekend's Autosport Show is the SDR WR3 V-Storm. This minimalistic track car is similar to the Ariel Atom but has a unique three-seater layout. The latest version is powered by a Subaru engine that produces 285 bhp stock. The V-Storm is available as a kit or a fully built car. British Auctioneer Coys will host an auction during the Autosport Show with an interesting array of racing cars. Our favourite is the ultra-low Piper GTR. Built for the 1969 24 Hours of Le Mans, it was not allowed to start because only one driver had completed enough laps during practice. This very rare machine was fully restored and has been raced in various historic events and it is ready to take part in this summer's Le Mans Classic.
    Another fabulous car to come to auction this month is the Talbot Darracq Grand Prix. Three of these racing cars were built for the 1925 season but they struggled against the similar Delage 15 S8s. They were raced and modified extensively for another twenty years. Remarkably at least two have survived and one of these exquisite Grand Prix racers will be offered by Bonhams at Retromobile on January 23rd. Our article includes both known survivors.

Enjoy the links:

2010 Cadillac XTS Platinum Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Honda CR-Z - Images, Specifications and Information

1969 Piper GTR - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 Saleen S281 - Images, Specifications and Information

2010 SDR WR3 V-Storm - Images, Specifications and Information

1926 - 1927 Talbot Darracq Grand Prix - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Awesome to see you cover the SDR. Been following that since it first hit the drawing board!
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

I had not heard of the car until Simon contacted me!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Does the SDR share anything with Atom? The chassis looks very similar...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Does the SDR share anything with Atom? The chassis looks very similar...
    Not as far as I know. Inspired by maybe. If I remember correctly it was designed by a man paralysed from the waist down...but I am not 100% sure. That might have been a separate feature in my Kit Car mags.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Thread Information