Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

It is one of many ways to describe slope angle.

1 in 3 means that for every 3 units travelled horizontally, the ground rises (or falls) one unit vertically.

With a De Dion rear axle, wouldn't all the benefit of adding the halfshafts and diff to the sprung weight be offset by the De Dion tube itself? Wouldn't the dead-axle De Dion end up with just as much unsprung weight as a live-axle Hotchkiss drive?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I think the de dion tube don't weight as much as an axle tube, since the load cases would change the design would be a bit more optimized I think...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

a Dion tube is hollow, so the weight will be less than one would expect.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why are London Taxis so heavy? They are almost 1,500 lb more heavy than a Crown Vic according to Wiki. Their wheelbases are similar, but the Vics are much longer.

British steel :-)

I mean, sure, rust is 30% heavier than iron, but even a solid-iron Crown Vic that has been fully and completely oxidized would be about 300 lb (135 kg) shy of the TX4.

why are the intakes vertical straight into the head? what benefits/problems with valves or valvetrain would this cause
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

It looks to me like this was a narrow angle V engine and they found it was easier to bring the air in between the cams vs from the center of the V.

The general disadvantage is it makes the top of the head more complex with regards to packaging. It's not a unique layout but I think it would be rare on any large volume engine. With this layout you avoid a sharp bend in the intake.

The Ford-Fyot Indy V8 used a similar intake though it placed the intake cam to the outside and the exhaust exited into the V.

Its all about port design. Theoretically, you want the straightest intake port possible. A good rule of thumb is that the more you can see of the top of the intake valves the straighter and thus more efficient design of the port. But, you don't get swirl and tumble of the intake charge, which effects the burn characteristics of the engine, and thus requires some trick combustion chamber design. Designers typically don't use it anymore because they can make a more conventional port breath just as efficiently without the complex valve train and associated weight and packaging problems.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by karabiner98k View Post
    Guys,
    I have a question about Slalom and Handling.

I have seen in some magazine tests that one car (A) has better slalom speed than another (B) but the car with less slalom speed (B) achieves higher score in handling rating than the car with more slalom speed (A).

How can this be possible?
    I thought better slalom means better handling! It seems that I was wrong.
    Please enlighten me.
    Skidpad handling is "static" I mean the car is driven in a circle until it can no longer follow the circle track. Body lean remains mostly constant.

Slalom is about transitions. Thus the body lean might be increased because of the inertia from the previous opposite lean position.

Could a HANS device be useful without a helmet at all, using it with a head harness.
    By head harness I mean something like this
    http://www.bodysolid.com/Images/Product ... _Front.png
    MA307N - Nylon Head Harness - Body-Solid Fitness

After all HANS devices can be used with open face helmets.
    Of course it won't protect the head from penetrating or traumatic injuries but maybe can find some use for road cars?
    After all many people drive with hats on, so the confort should be similar.
    Maybe the head straps can be attached to the seat so you don't have to wear the over shoulders part. If so should the seatbelts be attached or routed thru the seats?

I was thinking about it after a head collision I just suffered myself, where the seatbelt got my torso next to the seat while the head kept on moving forward. I still have a really sore neck from it.

Past regulations for Venturi tunnel dimensions?

Where can I find past regulations for Venturi tunnels?
    i.e. for Indy, IMSA GTP, Group C, even F1 when it allowed ground effect tunnels/sidepods.

I already tried to Google it without success.

Thanks guys.

My best bet would be to get in contact with the FIA and see if they keep that stuff in their archives. Try and find something in these old technical regulations:
    Federation Internationale de lAutomobile [0]=field_regulation_category%3A89

How come car makers don't use lithium ion batteries instead of lead acid batteries?

Besides the problem with cost and availability, I was thinking the possible weight loss might be useful.

Thread Information