Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler Cordoba (2nd gen) 1980-1983

Chrysler Cordoba (2nd gen) 1980-1983

The Cordoba was downsized for the 1980 model year. The new, smaller, second-generation model used the J-platform that dated back to the 1976 F-body Plymouth Volaré and was twinned up with the newly named but very similar Dodge Mirada. Chrysler also revived the Imperial for 1981 as a third variant of the J-platform.

The Cordoba and Mirada now had a standard six-cylinder engine (the 225 Slant Six) that, while very reliable, did not seem to be suitable power for these slightly upmarket coupes. The much-detuned 318 cu in (5.2 L) V8 was an option (standard on the Imperial, with EFI), as was the 360 cu in (5.9 L) V8, though it would be dropped off the option list for 1981 and on.

The 1980 and 1981 LS model (which was originally intended to be the "300") featured an aerodynamic-appearing nosecone (nearly identical to that on the Mirada) with a "crosshair" grille. Other features of this model were the deletion of the vinyl roof cover and a monotone color exterior.

The second-generation Cordoba's styling did not attract the praise of the original, and sales were off substantially. The industry downsizing of vehicles also affected the personal luxury models. Both the Chevrolet Monte Carlo in 1978 and the 1980 Ford Thunderbird shrank in size and sales simultaneously. However, those models eventually recovered as their makers moved to correct their cars' flaws, while the smaller Cordoba never did. Chrysler was increasingly concentrating on its compact, front wheel drive models with four and six-cylinder engines, and management stopped producing the Cordoba in 1983.

Source: wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Chrysler Cordoba (2nd Gen) #2
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Chrysler Cordoba (2nd gen) 1980-1983 #3

Chrysler Cordoba (2nd gen) 1980-1983 #4
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 08-13-2019 at 09:12 PM.

This is downsizing in the 80s! Lol
    It looks huge. I kind of like it.

Man, strange that the few posters we have left on the forum are malaise era American car fans.

To each their own then haha.

I’m from the 80s. And it intrigues me. I can’t help it

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Man, strange that the few posters we have left on the forum are malaise era American car fans.

To each their own then haha.
    You are welcome, and I have a lot more. I love old US cars, even from this era. So be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Hell yeah! I am from the same era. Happy to post some more obscurities soon

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Not a problem, haha. Post as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    You are welcome, and I have a lot more. I love old US cars, even from this era. So be prepared
    The funny thing is that these aren't even from the USA, one of them is from Barcelona and the other is from the Netherlands.

Old American cars are hilarious, they tried so hard and also failed so hard. Just curious, do you guys even see these cars Europe? I'm from New York, so the salt is quite inhospitable to cars in general and I literally see none of these cars you guys post about. I've seen older model Toyota Camry (Camries? plurals are confusing), even older Mitsubishi Diamante, Subaru Leones. But never malaise era American cars.

Just as an edit, 80s marketing was so weird.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0eLwrrTBlc"]Oh What a Feeling. Toyota! 1982 - YouTube[/ame]

What a strange catchphrase. Might I ask, Toyota, what exactly am I supposed to feel about your cars? Maybe it's a strange fizzing sensation. I wonder what Toyota salesmen would feel if they knew the garbage RWD Corollas would be so highly revered almost 40 years down.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-13-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Basically all the malaise care are gone. In the summer, you'll see 50 and 60s American metal. The 80s stuff all rusted away. I vaguely recall seeing boats driving around in the early 90s when I was a kid, but they uh, didn't have the same appeal as the Boomer favourites.

There were a lot of them when I was growing up. Even with Californians' penchant for foreign cars, the climate was so benign that these old hulks hadn't rotted away. They outlived their planned obsolescence into rust long enough for a dropped valve or a smog failure to see them off. These days the only remnants are trucks and the odd GM B-Body actually being used to haul the six passengers it was designed for. Amazing what a small-block can do if you keep forcing oil down its gullet... There are plenty of cars from the '80s, but they tend to be Japanese.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

But you see the different now, in the Northeast right? Way less old stuff. The climate is a huge factor for car culture.

I stumbled upon a lowrider/hydraulics meet the other day, and it was so surprising to see those kinda cars here. I imagine they're common sight in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Basically all the malaise care are gone. In the summer, you'll see 50 and 60s American metal. The 80s stuff all rusted away. I vaguely recall seeing boats driving around in the early 90s when I was a kid, but they uh, didn't have the same appeal as the Boomer favourites.
    I occasionally see a Fox body Mustang, but if it's an 80's American car it's usually a large sedan, none of the smaller cars. It's usually going to be a Chevy Caprice or a Cadillac Deville, both of which were built like tanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    But you see the different now, in the Northeast right? Way less old stuff. The climate is a huge factor for car culture.

I stumbled upon a lowrider/hydraulics meet the other day, and it was so surprising to see those kinda cars here. I imagine they're common sight in LA.
    The thing I hate the most about the Northeast is that there's no Japaanese car culture here. It's so much of a bigger thing in California. And we get potholes, salt and traffic. I guess the one good thing is that gas is cheap here.

Thread Information