Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear - Racist Comments

Top Gear - Racist Comments

I was surprised by the amount of vitriol directed towards Mexicans in The News. I understand that they like to maintain a non-PC image and jibes about Americans, Germans, Japanese, Liverpudlians, Spanish, Aussies etc... are enjoyed by most and reinforce this. Last night, though, it seemed like there was a bit more going on than just poking fun. It also shocked me because the stereotypes that they were using were tired American ones that I guess I was surprised to hear from Johnny Foreigner.
    ... and it should be pointed out that the "Mexican" food they referred to is almost undoubtedly American.

Either that or my Southern-Californian white guilt is playing up again.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-03-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Copied in from main TG thread

I also thought it was borderline actual racism than just harmless poking fun....was a bit hard to watch at that point actually...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

^^ here too. BUT I think that maybe I'm well acquainted (experienced) US history on the subject.

Could be a deal they're doing with the US Top Gear ... ... eg piss off the US audience with blatant racism in the UK version so they all switch to the US one. Top Gear wins either way.

Some folks I've touched bases over here didn't see it "that bad" as "he does it with everyone else".
    As f6 alluded too .... jsut we dont harbour that "white guilt"

Am expecting BBC's knuckles to be rapped by someone.
    Clarkson to get loads of coverage and no doubt he is about to launch a new DVD and will love the free publicity
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Interesting to see though that we all kinda picked up on it....me being an Chinese Canadian living in US usually is not that racially sensitive but it was kinda odd to see them kinda just roll along with that so casually...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The BBC's Top Gear has been criticised by the Mexican Ambassador to the UK for a series of 'outrageous, vulgar and inexcusable insults'.
    His Excellency Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza has written to the corporation to complain about the comments made in an episode broadcast on January 30, and demanded the show's hosts, Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond, make a public apology.
    Was inevitable

BUT .......

This is even better !!!!
    Jeremy Clarkson fuels TV sexism row by dropping Richard Hammond in it over obscene comment | Mail Online
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-01-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Top Gear - Racist Comments

Most of you have probably heard about this by now...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW0x_M_xrm0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW0x_M_xrm0[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Article About It
    The Mexican ambassador to the UK is up in arms after the host of popular automotive show Top Gear went on a racist rant while reviewing a Mexican-made car. Referring to the automobile as “lazy” and “feckless”, emcee Richard Hammond took it further, describing the people as being clothed with blankets with a hole in the middle and later even calling them overweight. Later, the conversation switched to food, and he described the cuisine as “refried sick”.

According to BBC, ambassador Eduardo Medina Mora wrote a letter to the BBC calling the remarks “xenophobic” and “humiliating”. The possibility of controversy was openly brought up on the show after the initial tirade, but co-host Jeremy Clarkson said he wasn’t worried because the ambassador was likely snoring in front of the television.
    Sure, the presenters make edgy comments all the time... but usually they're actually funny, and rarely are they blatantly racist. What do you guys think?
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Saw this the other day. I LOVE racist jokes as much/more than the next guy but they crossed the line. It wasn't funny after the first 15 seconds.. it was just off-base. Plus, the central Americans and MExicans I know work their asses off.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

clarkson would not be clarkson if he did not do things like that.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Plus, it's hilarious to hear Brits criticizing ANY culture's food... let alone Mexico's. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    clarkson would not be clarkson if he did not do things like that.
    True, but aren't Hammond and May supposed to balance it out (sort of)? I thought Hammond's comments were the most spiteful of the three

Not to mention that VW, BMW, and Nissan all have factories in Mexico.

They obviously aren't aware of Mexican work ethic. Of course there are always good and bad apples of every group, but coming from a country that pays their people peanuts, Mexicans generally know a thing or two about perseverance and determination to get ahead. TopGear is a little far away from the Mexican border though, so how would they know any better than what they may have seen in movies .

There was one episode where they called albanians the mexicans of europe for cheap labor...
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    True, but aren't Hammond and May supposed to balance it out (sort of)? I thought Hammond's comments were the most spiteful of the three
    Hammond is overrated. And he isn't funny.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Hammond is overrated. And he isn't funny.
    Entirely correct. I don't care for him. May and Clarkson are the ones.

I know it is all an act, but Hammond is the most forced and unnatural, and he seems like the least "car guy" of the three.

Thread Information