Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aston Martin CEO confirms the revival of the Lagonda marque

Aston Martin CEO confirms the revival of the Lagonda marque

Press release:

September 01, 2008: Aston Martin Chief Executive Officer Dr Ulrich Bez has today confirmed his intention to revive the Lagonda marque.

In a statement today he said, “After my eight years with Aston Martin, four with profitability, and 16 months of independence, it’s time to think about a longer term future. Aston Martin is an honest, authentic brand which builds the most beautiful sportscars combining modern technology with craftsmanship. Next year we will launch the four door Rapide sportscar, and this will be followed by the project ‘one 77’, the most spectacular Aston Martin ever. Aston Martins are currently available in 32 countries but we will remain limited in our market penetration by the pure character of our cars - sportscars.

“We have now investigated and concluded that the revival of the Lagonda brand would allow us to develop cars which can have a different character than a sportscar, and therefore offer a perfect synergy. Lagonda will use a unique design language as Aston Martin does. We will take elements of DNA from the past but will be very future orientated as we are with Aston Martin. With Lagonda offering exclusive, luxurious and truly versatile products with high quality and usability and suitable for both existing and emerging markets, I believe we can be present in more than 100 countries in the world.

“In 2009 Lagonda is about to celebrate its 100th birthday and in its centenary year we are confident that we will show the first concept of a car which could be in the market in 2012,” he confirmed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The Rapide should be a Lagonda.

However, "usability and suitable for both existing and emerging markets" makes me think of SUVs. And that's worrying.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Aye, that was my first thought.. another luxo barge.. I'm sure there'll be an RR competitor in the mix as well, but if you want to be profitable, you gotta with the program. Just ask Porsche...

I thought for a minute that he was going to say that the Rapide would be badged as a Lagonda.

However, it's better if they are actually going to make something new to badge as a Lagonda - as long as it's tasteful - it should be epic. If I were in the market, I'd rather have a "sporty" luxury saloon for example, than even a Maybach or Phantom (assuming a Lagonda would be in the same market).
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Speaking of the Rapide. I think it's rather funny that they have opted to call the largest Aston Martin the Rapide, a name that was originally reserved for the short chassis versions of the Lagonda models.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The comment might refer to hybrid or electric ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

However, "usability and suitable for both existing and emerging markets" makes me think of SUVs. And that's worrying.
    The SUV theme also ocurred to me, let's hope not,but that's what it really sounds like.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    The SUV theme also ocurred to me, let's hope not,but that's what it really sounds like.
    Yeah, but Lagonda styling cues wouldn't really work on an SUV - it'd look like a piece of cheese!

I'm hoping for a classy saloon to rival the best from elsewhere!
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    Yeah, but Lagonda styling cues wouldn't really work on an SUV - it'd look like a piece of cheese!

I'm hoping for a classy saloon to rival the best from elsewhere!
    that didn´t stop porsche from making the cayenne. or anyone who´s bought one. off topic: where i live i see really often this white cayenne with huge vynils that say: this car is shit. porsches don´t have warranty. on the bonnet, all over the side, the back, the whole thing.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    that didn´t stop porsche from making the cayenne. or anyone who´s bought one. off topic: where i live i see really often this white cayenne with huge vynils that say: this car is shit. porsches don´t have warranty. on the bonnet, all over the side, the back, the whole thing.
    Someone's clearly trying to retain exclusivity by putting everyone else off it

my job is really boring, so here goes another contribution to the topic, cleverly plagiarised from Lagonda news - Lagonda's back - 2008 - News - Top Gear

"We're talking about a car that is robust and reliable and four-wheel drive," says the hyper-active CEO who has steered Aston Martin back from the brink with the DB9/DBS/DBRS/DBR and the V8 Vantages.

Aston, he reckons, with the four-door Rapide which goes in sale next year, has been taken about as far as it can on the sporty/luxurious axis... Lagonda will flip the offer to luxurious/sporty, adding in the aforementioned robustness etc for developing markets like Russia and China and India.

"Don't write that it's an SUV tho'" says Dr Bez. Right. We won't. Channel a hip Rolls Royce with an attitude problem we reckon.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Speaking of the Rapide. I think it's rather funny that they have opted to call the largest Aston Martin the Rapide, a name that was originally reserved for the short chassis versions of the Lagonda models.
    Perhaps the Lagonda will be a long-wheelbase limo version of the Rapide?

hah

Quote Originally Posted by teatako View Post
    my job is really boring, so here goes another contribution to the topic, cleverly plagiarised from Lagonda news - Lagonda's back - 2008 - News - Top Gear

"We're talking about a car that is robust and reliable and four-wheel drive," says the hyper-active CEO who has steered Aston Martin back from the brink with the DB9/DBS/DBRS/DBR and the V8 Vantages.

Aston, he reckons, with the four-door Rapide which goes in sale next year, has been taken about as far as it can on the sporty/luxurious axis... Lagonda will flip the offer to luxurious/sporty, adding in the aforementioned robustness etc for developing markets like Russia and China and India.

"Don't write that it's an SUV tho'" says Dr Bez. Right. We won't. Channel a hip Rolls Royce with an attitude problem we reckon.
    So what's it? A 1976 Range Rover with a Lagonda badge on it?

Why would you want four wheel drive if it's not an SUV?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

I never thought about an SUV until I read your post (and others).
    I don't think it would be a real SUV since it would be stupid: in order to preserve AM identity, they would ruin Lagonda's one...
    secondly, it would be a very different car and very difficult to built with that "synergy" with AM proclaimed...but MB at this point, comes in the stage, and I'm really afraid.
    I hope that, if it will be an SUV (but non only I suppose), it will look like the Spyker D12/D8, which i personally like a lot. More than a SUV, it's a huge sedan, and I know the X6 it's very similar, but the Spyker it's from a whole another world. and it doesn't make sense as all supercars or hyperluxury sedans, so it's fair enough for me.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

just ask audi.

EDIT: i meant to quote ferrer but failed.

seriously though,if we ask BMW they don´t call the X5 an SUV,they call them SAVS. or mazda calls theirs CUV´s and things like that. and to a certain extent they´re right, as true 4x4 SUV´s are rather a chassis and a body rather than a monocoque (built like a truck rather than a car) but us ignocustomers don´t really care. to us they´re just fat, ugly, excessive vehicles that only look tough, built for rappers and short-dicked men who want to act like asses on the road. and in the case of my country, for narcos & narco-wannabes

in short, the 2012 lagonda will probably be an SUV. or worse, an X6-like monster.
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Thread Information