Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something interesting i heard about

something interesting i heard about

well i don't know too much about this but maybe you guys have heard something and you can fill in the story a little more but this is pretty interesting none the less... my friend at work yesterday was telling me recently a nascar team got caught "cheating" in an interesting way. somehow this car was blowing everybodies doors off and nobody knew why it was so powerful so nascar officials decided they had to look at it to see if it was breaking any rules and when they dove into the motor they had quite a suprise. what looked like a normal nascar V8 motor was actually a V7 (if you will) that did have an 8th cylinder with a piston but intstead of having detonation take place in that cylinder they had it set up so that that cylinder was pumping air into all the other cylinders. that sounds a little crazy but i guess it worked. not sure if that cylinder had more displacement than the others or what but the officials ruled it as a form of forced injection and so they said it wasnt allowed. pretty crazy tho huh?
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Smart!!! Rules can be interpreted in many ways. The smartest interpretation can make a champion. Reminds me some cheating gadgetry found in F1. I' sure that the list of similar incidents is pretty long. It would get even longer if someone included the cheating that never was uncovered

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    dum americans
    Why? Because we figured out how to make more power from an equally sized engine using a new idea? Maybe you're just a little jealous of NASCAR's greatness

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    listen up bob,

we got 400bhp from a 2 litre now fuk off.
    WHoa!! Settle down, I was joking, I hate NASCAR- but its not a bad idea why are you so hostile? It should give the same kind of power boost as a turbo without the lag, what's wrong with that?

BTW, where's the 400bhp 2 litre? not arguing, im sure it exists, im just curious Is it na?

Any idea what team/car was possibly using this?
    eat cicada

it reminds me of Toyota's celica ('94) GT4 rally car. in the WRC they used a turbo that expanded with heat and contracted in cool, so it would make it past scrutineering..
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    it reminds me of Toyota's celica ('94) GT4 rally car. in the WRC they used a turbo that expanded with heat and contracted in cool, so it would make it past scrutineering..
    It's pretty difficult to find a material to make a turbocharger out of that won't expand with heat and contract with cold. It's not design or anything, it's just the laws of physics.

wait a minute, you honestly expect me to beleive that a nascar person came up with this?

they have 1500hp 1.7L engines (nikki lauda's porsche/mclaren F1 car of the 80's)
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    It's pretty difficult to find a material to make a turbocharger out of that won't expand with heat and contract with cold. It's not design or anything, it's just the laws of physics.
    has anyone ever tried a carbon fibre turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    has anyone ever tried a carbon fibre turbo?
    Definitely not. For good reason. Carbon fibre is in no way strong enough and will burn at a far lower temperature than a turbocharger operates at. Turbos shouldn't burn away to nothing when you start up your car

wouldnt this cylinder have to operate at some crazy high rpm or something. I mean, it sounds simple enough on paper but when you take a closer look at it, it would take some really amazing engineering to get this to work let alone get it give you noticeable gains. Lets see what MetA has to say about it.
    eat cicada

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Definitely not. For good reason. Carbon fibre is in no way strong enough and will burn at a far lower temperature than a turbocharger operates at. Turbos shouldn't burn away to nothing when you start up your car
    Bio-degradable turbos, how much more green can you get??
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

awsome.....
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    wait a minute, you honestly expect me to beleive that a nascar person came up with this?

they have 1500hp 1.7L engines (nikki lauda's porsche/mclaren F1 car of the 80's)
    They were 1.5L. The engine from Brabham BMW BT52 produced 1400+ (the dyno measured only up to 1400 horses) but in qualifying trim. In race trim it would be about 1000, maybe lower. I think this was in 1982. Not sure though

yup, read an article on it im GT, i think it was 80-81 season, and yes it was scaled back to "only" 1000

Thread Information