Thread: 1987 BMW 325 - Multiple Questions

1987 BMW 325 - Multiple Questions

I have a few questions. First, a friend gave us a 1987 BMW 325 (unknown if e, es, or i) with 204000 miles on car but 82000 miles on engine and we plan to fix it up. Problems listed below:

1. Manual - Clutch grind only when putting car into 4th gear. Is this the clutch or could it be something else. Our friends mechanic (who was not so great) said he took apart the clutch and it looked fine. Could he be wrong or could it be something else?

2. Brake Lining Light and ABS light stays on. It this a simple pads and rotor issue or could it be more?

3. AC does not work but heat and air flow are fine. Do you think it needs a recharge or more?

4. Are there resources available on how to repair these cars? We want to try and do some of the work ourselves. Also, our normal shop says a BMW clutch replacement would be $1200+ but the kit is only around 275 online. Can you average user do this - the site I saw the kit on made it sound possible.

5. If the back of the car says 325, does that mean I have the e model?

Thanks,

Brenda

Welcoem to UCP

If you intend doing this yourselves then invest in http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...2841&langId=-1 first

The 'box is either damaged synchro on 4th or out of alignment on the gear change. I'm suspicious of comments like "took apart the clutch" -- that's a fairly major overhaul task. Did he really do that or did he just adjust the lever ? You're as well ignoring this input I think.

It COULD be just the pads but could also be any number of other things as the ABS relies on sensors AND management unit. Your use of the term "rotor" suggests you're USA ? is that the case ?? If so the PLEASE put your location in so we are not second guessing or giving bad advice.

AC is possibly the pump (expensive) but most likely it just needs re-charged.
    As the engine has been out I'm guessing that it wasn't' refilled when rebuilt by a cowboy THIS is another warning sign on this car's history.

See the Haynes manual but ONLY any use if you're reasonably mechanically minded ( lots of car owners in the UK are I can't say the same for the US ) The "average" person CAN follow Haynes instructions reasonably well but you do need proper tools and location to do it first time.

Dont trust badges on Beemers - ever - they get changed so often for numerous reasons. Check the engine and VIN number tor confirm the model. The owners and service book will give you it with no effort

BMWs are not the cheapest cars to maintain even here in the UK where parts and experienced mechanics are relatively easy to find.

The fact that your friend "gave" you this car should have told you something

My advice would be get a trusted experienced mechanic to give this a look over and do initial troubleshooting on all the above. It's easy to do IN the car and near impossible to do 3000 miles away

Try to find a local BMW owners club and see if anyone there can assist.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yes, I am a U.S. driver. I will print off what you wrote and forward to my mechanically mided friend.

As for why the car was free, my husband's best friend was buying a newer model and knew we were in need.

check out the E30 boards on Roadfly.org

(from what i gather, you have the 2.7L "e" motor)

Thread Information