Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today is the day!

Today is the day!

Ok people. Today is the day of my driving test. I have never been so nervous! I am so determind to pass. My girlfriend has already made plans to go on a driving trip later so she is confident i can pass.
    My test starts at 2.32pm and will last about 40 minutes. so by 3.15pm i might be the happiest guy in the world or the most depressed.
    However once i have passed i wont be able to drive the Saxo much, it will only be for this weekend because my Dad says if i have nothing to drive it will motivate me to finish the Luego.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Awesome, good luck man.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

good luck man then you can take your girl out for a walk and then a romantic dinner and seal it off with a kiss

Best of luck,

For UK driving tests it's all about MIRRORS and POSITIONING. I'm sure you're more than competent at controlling the car, you just have to remember the above.

When pulling off from the side of the road, check over your right shoulder as you take off the handbrake (you wouldn't believe how many people forget to do that and get failed for it on test.)

Mine's on Monday so I'm in the same boat as you, except whilst you have your test I'm having a 4+ hour lesson (My dad IS my driving instructor!)

What are you learning to drive in? Here's my dad's car...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Yeah, i am aware of the importance of mirror work. I have been saying it in my head all morning. I always remember to check all around the car before moving off, i had that drummed into my head by my instructor on the first few lessons. I am learning in a Corsa, brand new 1.3 Turbo Diesel. Quite a fair bit of poke but oh the turbo lag! Its nice and easy to drive and i feel confident behind the wheel, i just have to remember to check my interior mirror more!!!
    Just call me Tom

All the best Tom, Just keep a cool head and you'll pass without any problems.

Cheers for all the support guys! You should expect an extremely happy post from me later, possibly all in capitals.
    Just call me Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    i just have to remember to check my interior mirror more!!!
    That's it, you know what to do! Lol. The Corsa's not a bad car at all...My mum has one (1.4i16v SXi 3door)...we're picking up another Mini on Monday after my test so I'll be driving the Corsa for a while.

The only thing(s) that bug me about it are:
    [/LIST]No AC. Mum hates air conditioning. She has poor blood circulation so she normally heats up the inside of the car to greenhouse level when she's on her own in it. She hates having the cold air fan on or the window down, therefore when she saw that the Non-AC SXi was £300 cheaper, she went for it.

It's a particular problem for me because I'm always warm anyway (opposite of mum) and there's a lot of glass in that car.
    [/LIST]The door trim on the passenger side squeaks like mad when someone is leaning on it (unavoidable), I don't think the panel's on properly but as the car's still in warranty, I don't wanna mess with it. Even if we take it to a Vauxhall daeler, they wont sort it out (the worst part about owning a Vauxhall is the dealer network)
    [/LIST]I love the Mini's well weighted and precise steering, which also has lots of feel...The Corsa's steering is extremely light...but I've not driven it properly so I don't know about how accurate it is and how much it communicates with you...

...If I don't get on with the car I already have plans, which you'll no doubt see in one of my threads soon.
    Last edited by Clivey; 09-02-2006 at 01:59 AM.

Best of luck mate!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Yeh i am learning to drive to although i have only had 7 odd hours of lessons...Basically to everything would Clivey said especially the mirrors...even a glance is enough to show the examiner that you are checking them...Best of luck mate 3.5 hours left...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

You'll be fine. Now get out there, soldier

You see the problem is that i know i am a good driver because my instructor keeps telling me so, but it doesn't stop me being nervous as hell!!
    Just call me Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    You see the problem is that i know i am a good driver because my instructor keeps telling me so, but it doesn't stop me being nervous as hell!!
    Yeah, I'm the same...It's just BECAUSE it's the test.

Don't, whatever you do, try to rush things. If you, like me have had many hours' worth of driving, and have driven for hours at a time, it wont feel like you've been driving for five minutes.

Dad did a mock test on me on Monday and I couldn't believe how short it actually was...by the time you've done the eyesight test and the "show-me-tell-me", you've only got about 40 minutes of driving to do...think of it this way: A regular lesson lasts an hour, it doesn't seem long when you have a lesson. The test is only two thirds of that.

I'll be going for my lesson soon so if I don't get chance to say it, Once again, Good luck.

come on Tom
    the only thing that can possibly screw up your test will be nerves, or just bad driving but you'll pass. do us proud

Cheers guys. I normally have two hour lessons so i don't think concentrating for 40 minutes is going to be a problem for me. If i get a nice examiner i will be able to calm myself. I have avoided particular times when a very strict examiner does tests so that puts me a little at ease. Well, its only 20 minutes before my instructor comes so we can make our way to the test center. I'm sure that when i get in her car the nerves will go.
    Last edited by Suka; 09-02-2006 at 04:43 AM.
    Just call me Tom

Thread Information