Thread: Ford to add 3rd model line to Broadmeadows

Ford to add 3rd model line to Broadmeadows

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=41504

Ford Oz plans third car for production
    Richard Blackburn, The Sydney Morning Herald, 06/07/07

Ford Australia is planning to fill the gap in its production capacity by assembling a third model alongside its locally built Falcon and Territory models. RICHARD BLACKBURN reports.

A Falcon passes through Ford Australia’s Broadmeadows production line, which also builds the Territory SUV.

Ford is to build a third model in Australia in an attempt to turn around the brand's dramatic slide in popularity.

The company has told its dealers it is looking to build a third model at its Broadmeadows Plant (pictured) to fill the capacity gap left by poor sales of the Falcon and Territory.

It would not reveal the identity of the third vehicle to dealers but the most likely option is a small car. Ford imports two small cars: the Ford Focus and the Ford Fiesta. Either car could be sent in kit form to Australia for assembly. This would be a far more cost-effective option than establishing an entirely new car line locally.

Dealers say the Focus, which is currently made in South Africa, is the most logical option.

The wildcard could be a small Toyota RAV4-sized off-roader based on the Ford Focus. Dubbed the X-Max, the soft-roader has been spotted undergoing testing in Europe.

Ford spokeswoman Sinead McAlary says the company is looking at ways to get its production line back to full capacity.

"We are looking at a whole range of different options to improve the utilisation of our production capacity in Broadmeadows but nothing has been confirmed," she says.

She refused to comment further but it is believed the new car will not be based on the Falcon-Territory platform.

Ford's production line can build 120,000 vehicles a year but slow sales have seen production scaled back to just 80,000 units.

A new model would underpin the Ford plant and provide an increasingly agitated dealer network with a low-cost, high-volume vehicle to boost their sales. Export opportunities are also being pursued. Dealers were told a decision could be made in the next two to four weeks.

The revelation came during a crisis meeting with dealers where Ford boss Tom Gorman apologised for mistakes made by his team and announced wide-ranging price cuts aimed at boosting flagging sales.

The maker has cut the price of its popular XR6 Falcon model by up to $6000 and reduced prices for the Territory soft-roader (by up to $2700), Focus small-car ($1000) and Ranger ute (up to $4500). Most vehicles have also received more equipment at no extra cost.

The company also committed to spending an additional $20 million on marketing before the end of this year.

Dealers say the changes are welcome but some are nervous retail discounts will upset fleet customers and damage resale values.

One dealer told Drive the jury was out on the changes. "It will come down to execution of the plan. Ford hasn't been strong on execution in recent years," he says. "It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Ford has taken a hammering in the sales race this year. Figures released this week show that Falcon sales are down by 24.7 per cent to June 30 on the same period last year, while Territory sales have slumped 10.8 per cent.

Dealers have voiced their frustrations, with some believed to have complained to Ford in the United States.

In a recent dealer satisfaction survey, Ford finished last out of 25 makers in most categories.

One dealer says the company's decision to shelve plans for a diesel version of the Territory was "bloody stupid".

Territory's main opposition in the mid-sized off-roader market, the Toyota Prado, sells as many diesel versions as it does petrol.
    I am the Stig

It will definitely be the Focus. On top of that, they recently committed to spending $10 million on advertising for the Focus.

They will make the announcement on July 11th.
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Makes sense - although i'd personally be looking at building in Seff Effrika like every other bloody European manufacturer.

If it sures up Ford AU then it's only a good thing.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Ford are already producing the Focus in South Africa, thats where our supply minus the ST/XR5T come from. The interesting thing is, our local consumption is higher than that of South Africa, leading to suggestions that Ford might swap production from South Africa to Broadmeadows as a whole, although our Focus will only be CKD for now.
    I am the Stig

Holden tried something like this in the past but it really didn't stack up financially
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

That wouldve been when they produced the Vectra up until around 98. I dont know if that was full production or just CKD though.
    I am the Stig

Also reminds me of the first VL's, Holden built the 3lt 6 first up for series 1, then ended up importing them cheaper.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

It won't be an all-new car as said before, it'll more likley a 'kit' car (where all parts are shipped to Broadmedows). Ala Fiesta / Focus or even Mondeo!
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

Mondeo is probably it.

Confirmed today - no big surprise - it's the Focus. They will begin producing it in 2011 after a $180 million investment in the plant.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...042989026.html
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

And THIS!
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

Looks like it might not be CKD as first thought either.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information