Thread: Toyota Tercel (4th gen) L40 1990-1994

Toyota Tercel (4th gen) L40 1990-1994

The Toyota Tercel is a subcompact car manufactured by Toyota from 1978 to 1999 across five generations, in five body configurations sized between the Corolla and the Starlet. Manufactured at the Takaoka plant in Toyota City, Japan, and sharing its platform with the Cynos (a.k.a. Paseo) and the Starlet, the Tercel was marketed variously as the Toyota Corolla II—sold at Toyota Japanese dealerships called Toyota Corolla Stores—and was replaced by the Toyota Platz in 1999. It was also known as the Toyota Corsa and sold at Toyopet Store locations. Starting with the second generation, the Tercel dealership network was changed to Toyota Vista Stores, as its badge engineered sibling, the Corolla II, was exclusive to Toyota Corolla Store locations.

The Tercel was the first front-wheel-drive vehicle produced by Toyota, establishing a layout and frame that was later used in other popular Toyota models. For example, the Toyota Corolla E80's frame is similar to the AL20 Tercel's frame. Also, Toyota designed a new A engine for the Tercel, attempting simultaneously to achieve good fuel economy and performance and low emissions. Choice of body styles increased as well, with the addition of a four-door sedan.

The name "Tercel" derives from the Latin word for "one third" as the Tercel was slightly smaller than the Corolla[citation needed]—much the way "tiercel" refers to a male falcon, which is one-third smaller than its female counterpart. All Tercels were assembled at the Takaoka factory in Toyota City, Aichi or by Hino Motors in Hamura, Tokyo. Hino assembled the third generation Tercel from 1986 to 1990 for the two-door and some three-door models.

Fourth generation (L40; 1990–1994)
    Toyota introduced the fourth generation Tercel in September 1990, as either a three-door hatchback or as a sedan with either two or four doors. In the North American markets it was powered by either a 1.5 L 3E-E engine producing 82 hp (61 kW) at 5,200 rpm (and 89 lb⋅ft (121 N⋅m) of torque at 4,400 rpm) or a 1.5-litre 5E-FE 16 valve DOHC producing 110 hp (82 kW). The hatchback was not offered in North America, while the two-door coupe was not sold in any market outside of the US and Canada.

In Japan, the Tercel was also offered in 4WD versions. Hatchback models were VC, Joinus, and Avenue. Trim levels for the sedan were VE, VX, and VZ. The VZ is powered by a 5E-FHE engine. The higher level Japanese sedans have different tail lights and a better-equipped interior than the export models.

Export Model
    North America
    North American models were the base coupe, DX coupe, DX sedan, and LE sedan. Color-keyed bumpers, full wheel covers, and folded rear seat were optional on the DX, standard on the LE. The LE has red trunk garnish similar to the Japanese model.

The 1993 model had a minor exterior redesign to the front and rear fascias and the addition of a standard driver's side airbag and available anti-lock brakes. The Tercel was carried over to 1994 with no major changes—Haloalkane, a non-CFC refrigerant was used in the air conditioning system.

South America
    In Chile, the Tercel was introduced in 1991 as a four-door sedan with a 1.3-liter, SOHC 12-valve 78 hp (58 kW), four-cylinder, carburetor engine, under the name "Corolla Tercel". The "DX" basic version came with tachometer and four spoke steering wheel. It gained moderate success due to the Corolla name.

In September 1992, a Canadian-spec version was introduced to Chile to replace the previous one with a new 1.5-liter SOHC engine. Unlike the previous one, it was simply called "Tercel". It was brought along the Canadian-spec Corolla to meet the new emission standard since no Latin American version of either was yet available with a catalytic converter. Due to the higher trim level of the Canadian-spec versions, the Tercel was initially marketed as a successor of the Corolla E90, which had just been discontinued. This made it a very successful car.

Source: Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Toyota Tercel (4th gen) #2
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-16-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Ooooooh baby. I learned to drive a stick on one of these bad-boys. Almost too much power, very difficult to control.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Ooooooh baby. I learned to drive a stick on one of these bad-boys. Almost too much power, very difficult to control.
    I don't know, I like it, to me it's fun to drive. My favourite one is 92 base model with 4 spd manual.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    I don't know, I like it, to me it's fun to drive. My favourite one is 92 base model with 4 spd manual.
    The beast which I drove was a '91, but it was actually a 6-speed (well....6 if you count reverse ).

Woooah you must've been running like 18's! Dood if you had a K&N you could be running mid low high 17's!

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Woooah you must've been running like 18's! Dood if you had a K&N you could be running mid low high 17's!
    Totally! Maybe even bust out a 16!...we are talking about the 1/8th mile right?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Totally! Maybe even bust out a 16!...we are talking about the 1/8th mile right?
    Woah shit! since 8 is bigger than 4 that must mean thats even bigger! That means you're running like, mid 8's on the 1/4!

Shots from this morning.

Toyota Tercel #3
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-16-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Shots from this morning.

Toyota Tercel #3
    Were you in a stake-out position when you took those pictures?
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-16-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Were you in a stake-out position when you took those pictures?
    Sort of... I do this time to time, always looking for spots with decent background and good lighting.

Toyota Tercel (4th gen) #4
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 12-16-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Thread Information