Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Formula 1 Season Build-Up

I agree with Matra saying that tire's profile's height is now mainly a cosmetic factor, but on the other hand I think each wheel diameter has its right profile height, which may well be 55 for a 16", 45 for a 17" and so on.

I always thought it was weird to see F1 cars with such "different" wheels as basically all the other single seater race cars, but I guess that's the same with them having such front wings or even just being a single seater. So tires can indeed keep being as of now.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

In other news:
    autosport.com - F1 News: Lola will not apply for 2011 F1 entry

autosport.com - F1 News: Prodrive rules out entering F1 in 2011

So I guess we can look forward to one more questionable outfit to enter....Though I guess Dallara did not exactly turn out as well as expected...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I think Dallara isn't completely to be blamed. The simple fact of not knowing if your going to be payed for what your doing has an influence on the quality of your job, and when the whole project is put on halt for more than month, it just gets worse.

I never thought Dallara could design a ground breaking car from the scratch and "come out of the blue" winning and all, but definitely an F1 car with suspension's arms made of steel as opposed CF is definitely under their usual standard. The LMP and GT cars they put their hands on should be worth something at the and of the day.

So, eventually, who applied for a new slot on the grid for 2011?

Part of it I am sure had to do with the whole sketchy circumstances with Campos/HRT deal and and how it transpired, but hearing comments like the car was built to some lesser standard to F3 cars raises eye brow. It could all just be smoke and mirror for the public to hear, but I am sure Dallara is not happy to be portrayed like that. Also I am still not sure as to who is responsible now for HRT's development. I somehow don't get the feeling that the arrangement was like that of Wirth and Virgin, and this is more like "here is your F1 car, do what you want with it"...

Dallara's effort outside of F1 has been pretty good when up against another chassis supplier like their F3 cars or IRL cars. But so-so I guess when up against OEMs(LMPs).
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    So, eventually, who applied for a new slot on the grid for 2011?
    Durango did.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Part of it I am sure had to do with the whole sketchy circumstances with Campos/HRT deal and and how it transpired, but hearing comments like the car was built to some lesser standard to F3 cars raises eye brow. It could all just be smoke and mirror for the public to hear, but I am sure Dallara is not happy to be portrayed like that. Also I am still not sure as to who is responsible now for HRT's development. I somehow don't get the feeling that the arrangement was like that of Wirth and Virgin, and this is more like "here is your F1 car, do what you want with it"...

Dallara's effort outside of F1 has been pretty good when up against another chassis supplier like their F3 cars or IRL cars. But so-so I guess when up against OEMs(LMPs).
    They still performed well with the Audi's tubs, or the whole MC12 for Maserati though.

In some reports Dallara holds the right for the F110 HRT's car, while other sources says HRT will develop the car on its own from now on.

The deal with Audi and Toyota is different from say, their deal with Chrysler(in 2001). Audi used them to make the tub that Audi Sport/TTE designed. Saves them the trouble of investing in a full composite facility and use their expertise in the field. In Chrysler's case is more like the current Campos/HRT deal, in that they were commissioned by their customer to design the car from ground up. Granted it was probably the 2nd best car in 2001, but as with everyone they were miles behind R8. The car obviously was not as embraced by others compare to say, Panoz or Lola, so it was not used often and probably did not see the full potential. Mind you it did win Rolex 24 in Grand AM in the last season of the Sport Racer class....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Hah! They also say that KERS is coming back, highly doubtful in my mind. (Unless they mean the turbo itself )
    It looks like even if they did do it, they wouldn't bring the turbo back in a proper fashion like such:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I for one would love to see turbo's back in F1.

And I'm sure it would not take the engineers very long to design and tweak high HP figures even from a 1.5 L Turbo engine. And the song this type of set-up would produce....

If they can make a 1500bhp 1.5 liter in 80s, they can make that today. But there will be restriction to make it unlikely....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

They'll limit them to conserve fuel and whatnot. Probably to about 600ish bhp I'd guess, until the limitations are engineered around.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

One big thing being misreported regarding KERS. Its not the FIA's decision to re-allow KERS. The only reason its not on the 2010 grid is because of the FOTA pact whereby the teams are agreeing between themselves not to use it, thus its still legal and in the technical regs.

The discussions that are taking place are within FOTA and whether they want to bring KERS back. The FIA is only involved here because its basically a given that if KERS comes back, either the maximum power output or max energy storage be doubled. That would require the FIA's input into changing the technical regs.

Most people with their head to the ground are expecting turbo engines for 2013 anyway, so the rest of the report isnt groundbreaking.
    I am the Stig

I think it'll be more interesting (and technically relevant) to open up the KERS reg. Make it part of your powertrain in a more integrated manner like. Maybe limit its output but free up the whole 6 sec a lap thing. Let team program how they want to use the power and so on. Couple that with a smaller engine with or without turbo.

Only problem with that is cost containment. Especially if OEs are not involved.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Probably easiest way is to either keep the power output and max permitted storage capped, but unlimited usage. That way the current motor/generators and batteries dont need to be drastically changed.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information