Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Spanish Grand Prix (May 7-9)

I think that one race is not enough to judge both a car or a driver. Alonso came second but I still think the Ferrari is quite disappointing since they scrapped (an already bad) last season to focus on this car.

That said, probably Redbull improved much more than others. Not only that, but they were already quite fast in Barcelona in the pre-season testing, were fast since the first race, so they didn't have to revolutionize their cars, just fine tuning them. Other teams are probably focusing too much on that F-duct thing.

Another good argument is that this track is where Schumacher always had good races. Actually, it's the track where he won the most times, 7 out of 17 (including this race). He probably would have performed worse on another track, while perhaps Rosberg would have done a better job.
    Further more we are assuming Rosberg would have done another good race here with the old car, which isn't a given fact at all. Also, his final position was quite affected by the initial excursion and the pit-stop inconvenient. Schumacher's race was problem less, so this helps explaining the gap.
    Given the car was also quite different, it may be that Rosberg just needs more time to understand it.

The only certain thing is the Redbulls are rockets, and that McLaren needs to check better their front suspensions/tires/brakes as this is at least the second time something like this happens.

EDIT for Matra: SBK was indeed an awesome event this sunday.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    The only certain thing is the Redbulls are rockets, and that McLaren needs to check better their front suspensions/tires/brakes as this is at least the second time something like this happens.
    Hamilton needs to stop destroying his tires as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Hamilton needs to stop destroying his tires as well.
    Don't know if there is a super slow motion on youtube, but it is pretty evident (after having seen it on tv) that something was broken on the inner side of the tire. You can see a spark and then a metallic ring coming off the tire and moving towards the right side of the screen. A millisecond after everything just goes wrong.
    I don't think this is a tire failure or his driving, rather a mechanical failure very similar to what happened to Kovalainen I think two years ago, still in Barcelona.

Maybe McLarens are not suited to Montmeló.

On the other hand, Hamilton does have a history of not treating his cars very kindly...
    Visca Catalunya!

^^ and being over-aggresive and willing to bump wheels ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I doubt it had to do anything with his tire/suspension failure. And his race today was quite clean, in my opinion.
    Visca Catalunya!

On the other hand, Hamilton does have a history of not treating his cars very kindly...
    That's a common attitude in many new drivers or the recent years, say from Alonso onwards. Vettel seems an exception though.

CLEARLY not a plan if you wished to end the race intact
    That hasn't stopped Ham all season...he's been chopping and dicing all of 2010.

My bet would be that he would have tried a move into or out of T1.

As for Mercedes-Benz, yes they never had the pace of the other three teams, but designing a car exclusively for the driver that fights in the back of the pack, when the other is second in championship, bad weather or not, is not a wise move I'd say.
    I think they got the balance wrong to start, Brawn said it many time that the new tire was different from their initial estimate so their weight distribution was wrong to start. And the car is inheritly understeery. It just so happen that Rosberg was a)not rusty and b)more capable of dealing with a car with that trait and thus was racing better. Brawn was fixing the problem anyway, and it just so happen that it aligns with Michael's preference. Aside from China the gap between the 2 drivers were dropping so I don't think its as clear cut as MGP just made a Schumacher car and f-ed Rosberg.

Brundle mentioned something today in the telecast also that Michael was good with communicating what he wants, and if he was able to express his feedback better its inevitable that the engineers will be swayed to that side, and they have the data to back up if what he said was right or not...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

As for Mercedes-Benz, yes they never had the pace of the other three teams, but designing a car exclusively for the driver that fights in the back of the pack, when the other is second in championship, bad weather or not, is not a wise move I'd say.
    I think only Michael's car was modified, wasn't it? Nico was running the earlier short wheelbase version as far as I understand.

BTW, did anyone understand why did Buemi get his drive through? Did the stewards just confuse him and Liuzzi or was there something else?
    Last edited by faksta; 05-10-2010 at 03:32 AM.

I think it was because he cut dangerously back in front of a backmarker when lapping him.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I think only Michael's car was modified, wasn't it? Nico was running the earlier short wheelbase version as far as I understand.

Both cars were upgraded AFAIK...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    I think it was because he cut dangerously back in front of a backmarker when lapping him.
    That was Algersuari vs Chandhok accident when Karun lost his front wing. Buemi was said to be punished for exiting the pits too dangerously, while he hasn't actually been into the pits - Luizzi has, and when he came out he appeared to be side by side with Buemi into the first corner with Sebastien forced to cut the second one.

I couldn't see any infringement from his side, given that later almost exactly the same situation happened to Hamilton and Vettel when they were lapping a Virgin in the same spot.

Regarding the Mercedes, I may be mistaken, that was just what I understood from the report on TV. Maybe I got something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Regarding the Mercedes, I may be mistaken, that was just what I understood from the report on TV. Maybe I got something wrong.
    Maybe you got it mixed up with Virgin, Glock had an upgraded car with a longer wheelbase amongst other things, Di Grassi didn't. Both Rosberg and Schumacher were running a longer wheelbase and new aero, and apparently they'll have the shorter wheelbase again in Monaco, with new aero.

Thread Information