Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Monaco Grand Prix (May 13 - 16)

But surely there's conversation between the stewards and race control during the race? I would at least assume that the stewards are aware of the actions of race control, such as flagging green here.

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    But surely there's conversation between the stewards and race control during the race? I would at least assume that the stewards are aware of the actions of race control, such as flagging green here.
    I don't see how that is relevant. When Schumacher dove up the inside of Alonso, he was shown green flags and flashing lights. As far as I know, it is legal to pass under green.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think it's somewhat relevant because if the race control intended to restart racing and allow passing, and the stewards knew of it, they wouldn't have penalized Schumacher in the first place.

Or the marshals were acting on their own when they saw the safety car in notice and started waving the greens. Either way, there were green flags waving.. at that point, regardless of the intention of Race Control, it was green flag conditions... and green means go, baby.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    The race did not end under the safety car. The safety car situation ends as soon as green flags are shown and they were.
    and the SC boards are removed and the lights on the SC are out AND all of the above.

The SC was not "deployed" ... until they decide to change the wording or clarify the meaning to be "WAS deployed on the last lap".

BUT, I come back ... WHY bother, if the track clears at the time then the SC should come in regardless of which bloody lap it is.

THEN drivers get the chance to use their skills to win a race.

I repeat. ALonso and Ferrari are chasing 2 points coz there's a chance they'll nto make enough to attract sponsors and funding otherwise
    Not to mention the HUGE EMBARRASSMENT of such a cock-up
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark View Post
    I think it's somewhat relevant because if the race control intended to restart racing and allow passing, and the stewards knew of it, they wouldn't have penalized Schumacher in the first place.
    yea but that's not somethign you "announce".
    Especially when the rules are so clear

THe actions of a chief marshal/steward is to determine WHEN the track is clear enough to permit racing and then to start all the steps in motion to resume racing.
    THIS time it meant the racing starts in the final lap.
    THere isn't a discussion or negotation on these things at the race track - otherwise it is HUGELY open to cheating and manipulation to get a result.

ALL race officials operate the same profesionalism to the regulations of the race series they are marshalling.

This was a Ferrari team error in not making sure Alonso was on the ball - and Alonso's in part for not being aware of the risk of an overtake.
    Ferrari aren't known as a team willing to put their hand up and say they boobed
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Did they actually declare it a safety car finish or did the safety car simply conveniantly pull in on the final lap?
    I am the Stig

I heard that it was going to be a safety car finish...so when i saw schumacher overtaking I imiediately saw the penalty coming

I think the SC line was to prevent the leader from holding people up up to the line and gun it so no one can try to make a move. It effectively means if the leader is not on the ball at that point the people behind can pass on a restart. The problem is restart for just about all the other races is at the flag line, so F1 tried to out smart itself. And then the have to write all the extra rules for it, in the usual vague lingo that they use and open very much for people's interpretation and protest.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

And where's actually that line for Monaco?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    And where's actually that line for Monaco?
    Right before the pit entry.

Well then, shame on Fernando.

Schumacher's move shouldn't have been penalised.
    Visca Catalunya!

See Sauc3's vid.....you can see that line as they drove over it, with green flag waving at your face and green lights flashing....mixed message...lol
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Sauc's video is dead unfortunately.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Sauc's video is dead unfortunately.
    Obviously Ferrari called the youtube people...
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information