Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula One Singapore Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    The penalty given to Massa by the FIA is what you call "OVERKILL". The man already went from hero to zero, from the lead to the dead last. How could you inflict more damage in to the situation...
    Though I do realize that the pit incedent was not his fault, Massa should have been punished for sending Sutil into the wall. I guess they had to collect data to learn about the new cicuit, but I think Massa should just have pulled into the garage after a certain point. Feel sorry for the man, though.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Though I do realize that the pit incedent was not his fault, Massa should have been punished for sending Sutil into the wall. I guess they had to collect data to learn about the new cicuit, but I think Massa should just have pulled into the garage after a certain point. Feel sorry for the man, though.
    he didnt send Sutil into the wall. Sutil didnt brake suficiently to avoid him. It was a bit of a risky maneuver by Massa, but it was still Sutil's own wreck. And you never pull a driver in in the middle of a race unless you dont have to. Watch the Austrailian GP from this year to see why that woudl be silly.

It was an ugly race all around. the track didnt seem too horrible to me, but it needs a few more runs to get the best layout. i did think it was a beautiful city, track, and the cars looked brilliant under the lights.

I really detest Alonso, but he ran his best race of the season. a low downforce track with no real high speed sections that allowed the renault (and the williams) to compete with the higher HP cars. well done to the spaniard.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    he didnt send Sutil into the wall. Sutil didnt brake suficiently to avoid him. It was a bit of a risky maneuver by Massa, but it was still Sutil's own wreck.
    Sutil was forced to take a line that he wouldn't have normally taken, and because of that he did not brake enough for the strange line that Massa forced him into. I f the racing line had been clear he would have been fine.
    And you never pull a driver in in the middle of a race unless you dont have to. Watch the Austrailian GP from this year to see why that woudl be silly.
    I was being slightly hyperbolic, he just seemed so down that they might as well have pulled the plug.

It was an ugly race all around. the track didnt seem too horrible to me, but it needs a few more runs to get the best layout. i did think it was a beautiful city, track, and the cars looked brilliant under the lights.
    What I think people meant, and I know I meant, was that though it looks like a fun track to drive, it was not atrack with a significant capacity for racing(read overtaking) action.

I really detest Alonso, but he ran his best race of the season. a low downforce track with no real high speed sections that allowed the renault (and the williams) to compete with the higher HP cars. well done to the spaniard.
    I'm pretty sure its high downforce, sorry to nitpick.

Did anyone else think it was funny when Brundle talked to the ING exec so shortly after they had (kinda) gone under. It would seem that an easy way to save a lot of money would be to not sponsor F1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding Heart View Post
    Well... There goes the championship for Massa all because of the "HI-TECH" lights which had already struck them twice... Why don't htey just put the man with the "Lollypop" in front of the car... I thing the current signal light which flasses green are set by timers (at least, that's what i think) - because they go green even if the fuel hose is still fitted in to the car... I wouldn't be surprised if they bring the lollypop man next race.

The penalty given to Massa by the FIA is what you call "OVERKILL". The man already went from hero to zero, from the lead to the dead last. How could you inflict more damage in to the situation...

By the way, in terms of championship... Why is it that it always favor lewis hamilton in terms of luck... If he wins the Championship, some might say he does not deserve it... Mainly because he is not working as hard as Felipe or any of the other drivers... Also, he abuses the other drivers by intimidating them too much... We know that the McLAren is the car to beat but Lewis shouldn't be driving like a Maniac because of overconfidence in the car...

By the way, congratulations to Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg... tHey deserve those great results...

Also to Sebastien Vettel and Toro Rosso for their great win in Italy... Keep it up guys...

Finally to Ferrari's lollypop man... You might want to get your job back...
    What?
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    What?
    The man likes Massa, and doesn't like Hamilton.

It will be just like Valencia, but it boringness is just not as soon in coming.
    why not include Monaco in this list?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The whole pitting situation during a SC period screws everything up too much. All credit to Renault and Williams for exploiting it, but I want to see a race won by speed with a little luck, rather than a race won by luck and a little speed.
    Williams actually didn't do that well. Had Rosberg pitted earlier or later he would have avoided the penalty and may have won.

Having said that he was lucky he could run so many fast laps in front while the others were stuck behind Fisi and Trulli before actually doing the stop and go.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

after his accident, Massa was exactly where Sutil hit the barrier, so if Sutil wanted to avoid to hit Massa he should have brake so to make a more closed turn, not a larger one. Massa was there and probably he distracted Sutil, but he was perfectly avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    AFAIK, the track was a high downforce one.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

The Sutil accident looked like a case of 'target fixation' to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dino scuderia View Post
    the sutil accident looked like a case of 'target fixation' to me.
    lulz

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Overkill? He got a lesser penalty than Kubica and Rosberg and did something far worse. If anything, he shouldve recieved a stop go and the other 2 simply drive-throughs. Combine the whole pit fiasco with another unsafe release and maybe he shouldve simply been disqualified.
    I actually don't agree with all of the three punishments. That stupid rule with a closed pit-stop is being discussed and may be changed, and I don't like it so much either. The situation with Massa, in turn, wasn't his fault, IMO. They should've fined the team or the operator of their system, but not give him a drive-through. I don't know what you feel when leaving a pit with a piece of that thing in your car, but if he carried nothing, he wouldn't inflict the other car, as he had enough space to fit the car. At the same time, he should've looked into his right mirror, where, I guess, he couldn't see that thing for the first time. It looked to me that he realised that he carries something 'excessive' only driving through the pit-lane.

About the system, I think it would be reasonable to make a lollipop man back, but to keep testing the automatic system.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I actually don't agree with all of the three punishments. That stupid rule with a closed pit-stop is being discussed and may be changed, and I don't like it so much either. The situation with Massa, in turn, wasn't his fault, IMO. They should've fined the team or the operator of their system, but not give him a drive-through. I don't know what you feel when leaving a pit with a piece of that thing in your car, but if he carried nothing, he wouldn't inflict the other car, as he had enough space to fit the car. At the same time, he should've looked into his right mirror, where, I guess, he couldn't see that thing for the first time. It looked to me that he realised that he carries something 'excessive' only driving through the pit-lane.

About the system, I think it would be reasonable to make a lollipop man back, but to keep testing the automatic system.
    Agree, the penalty during the SC period is very stupid, while Massa was innocent, and Ferrari was supposed to be fined, even with a points penalty, not Massa.

the system is automatic and controlled by sensors connected with the fuel pump, an operator is supposed to just supervising the operation being safe. the system compltely didn't work, since when Massa started there was still fuel in the conduct. the stop was also during more than normal, so it's quite obvious that something wasn't working. in that situation, I'm not stupefied Massa wasn't looking at his mirrors but just waiting the green light. so he probably was really surprised when he found the other car on the pit lane side by side, and just a second after, he was probably wondering "what the f**k is that thing...oh...no..."
    shame on Ferrari and their silly research of last-gen-not-working-gizmos.
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 09-29-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    shame on Ferrari and their silly research of last-gen-not-working-gizmos.
    as far as I could see Coulthard was having the same problem, but there was the good old lollipop that stopped him.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    as far as I could see Coulthard was having the same problem, but there was the good old lollipop that stopped him.
    it's something that happens quite often, but even if the light turns red again, I suppose the driver couldn't see it after half a meter, so in the case of Coulthard, it wouldn't have stop

Thread Information