Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mugen Civic Type R

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    were you calling me out? i miss my mini every day. i still think it is a fantastic car, and dont think there is a hot hatch available in the US that is better.
    I think Kitdy would try to tell you the Honda Fit/jazz is better in every way.

Basically all else we got is the big fundamental: the GTI if we are talking true hatches, not just speedy compacts, though.
    Mini's are very expensive, but I guess the secondhand market is flooded as my friend's mom just got a CPO '04(not sure on this bit) with 25,000 miles for $12.5k.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

No - I wasn't calling you out,

Earlier in the thread the number of people saying that because its "just" a japanese econobox it would automatically be shithouse and/or boring.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post

Earlier in the thread the number of people saying that because its "just" a japanese econobox it would automatically be shithouse and/or boring.
    You could've definitely put me in that category. After watching Rasmus' vid, I'm am impressed. They actually tune the suspension, they don't just make it unbearably hard because it's "sporty", and that engine sounded great. I still don't like the car, especially the hatch, but I respect it a bit more.
    Seeing as the most popular Nip shitbox is the Corolla, I don't think most of us can be blamed for thinking they're boring, though.

Now I'm off on a JDM, y0 binge. moar hakosuka and ken+mary plz

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    You could've definitely put me in that category. After watching Rasmus' vid, I'm am impressed. They actually tune the suspension, they don't just make it unbearably hard because it's "sporty", and that engine sounded great. I still don't like the car, especially the hatch, but I respect it a bit more.
    Seeing as the most popular Nip shitbox is the Corolla, I don't think most of us can be blamed for thinking they're boring, though.

Now I'm off on a JDM, y0 binge. moar hakosuka and ken+mary plz
    describe how Corolla is a crapbox. ( i don't like to curse. )
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

It isn't shitty as a transportation module. In fact, it has a sterling record as one, but for getting an enthusiast's hear pumping, it fails massively.
    Also, shitbox is just a general term for an el cheapo car, it doesn't necessarily have to be shitty to achieve that moniker.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    It isn't shitty as a transportation module. In fact, it has a sterling record as one, but for getting an enthusiast's hear pumping, it fails massively.
    Also, shitbox is just a general term for an el cheapo car, it doesn't necessarily have to be shitty to achieve that moniker.
    LOL! i see now! thanks!
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

isn't this one made in england
    and still has the ecobox rear suspension
    and thus won't be as good as the JDM version
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    my guilty pleasure ferrari is a 512/testarossa... no idea why, want to rebuild one, do the equivalent of a fiorani/HGTE pack for it
    That was one of the first toy cars I ever owned as a small child lol. It was a commercial gift from the local bank in Germany called Kreissparkasse. This was back in 1990. I still have it sitting on my shelf today, next to all the other Ferraris.

What is your plan for rebuilding the car? Do you have a goal with a set time that you want it finished by? You'll want to consider making friends with a mechanic that specializes in these sorts of cars. Parts and labor will add up quickly, and you might even end up wishing you'd just bought a completed one to begin with. You can always customize it to your liking afterwards. Unfortunately, putting an old Ferrari together isn't as easy or "inexpensive" as an american muscle car, where parts are somewhat easy to come by and many can do the labor. Make sure to do all of your homework before you go into it.

The reason I prefer the newer stuff is because its typically far more reliable. It may not have that unique hand built feel to it, but its also less prone to falling apart than the older models. Even the 355 and 360 are ages apart in quality and durability although one came right after the other. The newer they get, the better they become. That said, when it comes to an exotic car, you simply have to buy what your heart desires and not what your common sense tells you to. I just naturally happen to love the 360 over all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    were you calling me out? i miss my mini every day. i still think it is a fantastic car, and dont think there is a hot hatch available in the US that is better.
    Indeed. Excellent car.

I didn't say that.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    That was one of the first toy cars I ever owned as a small child lol. It was a commercial gift from the local bank in Germany called Kreissparkasse. This was back in 1990. I still have it sitting on my shelf today, next to all the other Ferraris.

What is your plan for rebuilding the car? Do you have a goal with a set time that you want it finished by? You'll want to consider making friends with a mechanic that specializes in these sorts of cars. Parts and labor will add up quickly, and you might even end up wishing you'd just bought a completed one to begin with. You can always customize it to your liking afterwards. Unfortunately, putting an old Ferrari together isn't as easy or "inexpensive" as an american muscle car, where parts are somewhat easy to come by and many can do the labor. Make sure to do all of your homework before you go into it.

The reason I prefer the newer stuff is because its typically far more reliable. It may not have that unique hand built feel to it, but its also less prone to falling apart than the older models. Even the 355 and 360 are ages apart in quality and durability although one came right after the other. The newer they get, the better they become. That said, when it comes to an exotic car, you simply have to buy what your heart desires and not what your common sense tells you to. I just naturally happen to love the 360 over all the others.
    I agree. But the the prospect of a 12 cylinder engined Ferrari is enticing.

It all depends on how mental you are. And how deep your pockets are...
    Visca Catalunya!

well only the latter is an issue to me at the moment..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I am sorta glad that the US model Civic is based on the Japanese platform instead of the UK one. The SI now is pretty nice but we don't have the Type R here.
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

it's the same here, but they brought the UK type R across when japan was being tight fisted with their type R
    makes direct comparions pretty easy i guess haha, Si versus type R, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it's the same here, but they brought the UK type R across when japan was being tight fisted with their type R
    makes direct comparions pretty easy i guess haha, Si versus type R, heh.
    And what do they say?

By the way, what's the UK Civic...?
    Visca Catalunya!

the one built in england, the darth vader helmet. we only get that body shape in type R form, everything else is the cheaper japanese platform.
    i dunno what they say, it's not relevant to my interests

Thread Information