Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike's Peak International Hill Climb

Pike's Peak International Hill Climb

Another round of America's second-oldest motorsports event happened this weekend. I love hillclimbs such as this because it/they combine off-the-wall manufacturer-sponsored insanity with grassroots racing. Say I'm from the '70s or '80s, but really, who doesn't love comically-oversized wings and turboes, and amateur participation?

Sadly, the results this year weren't quite as good as I was expecting. I though that the ten-minute barrier could have been broken, but sadly it was not. The most skillful and experienced Unlimited-class driver, Monster Tajima, improved his time by four seconds from last year, but was unable to break either the record he set in 2007 or the ten-minute barrier. Likewise, the most promising car, Rhys Millen's Hyundai, failed to make much of an impact. He set a new record in 2WD Time Attack last year, but I suppose wasn't familiar enough with the car and its speed to compete with Monster Tajima's experience and SX4.

However, in the 2WD Time Attack class, the record set by Millen last year was smashed. Jeff Zwart beat Millen's time (set in a Genesis coupe) by over half a minute in his 911.

Internet sensation William Casell also participated in his $500 BMW bought on craigslist that has already participated in a WRC event and a number of other rallying events.

Did anyone in the area (Sledge ) attend? I would love to have some pictures in this thread.

The pertinent classes, full results can be found here:
    Unlimited Class
    Place Car# Driver Name Vehicle Make Vehicle Model Type Course Time
    1 Nobuhiro Tajima Suzuki SX4 4WD 10:11.490
    98 Paul Dallenbach Chevy 2WD 10:39.534
    6 Rhys Millen Hyundai RMR JE09 4WD 11:06.208
    Time Attack 2WD
    111 Jeff Zwart Porsche 2WD 11:31.095
    22 Ken Stouffer Nissan 240SX 2WD 13:19.056
    127 Savannah Rickli Mini Cooper S 2WD 13:58.232
    119 Roy Tomkins Toyota Corolla 2WD 14:04.268
    Time Attack 4WD
    16 Jeff Denmeade Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4WD 11:53.212
    61 Karl Scheible Subaru Sti 4WD 11:54.989
    156 Dave Kern Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4WD 12:55.418
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

i must attend this one day. reminds me of world time atatck in some ways, in terms of the crazy aero mods on the top end cars.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Miss the annual buzz surrounding Pike's Peak, too bad there's no TV coverage anymore... once upon a time, it was as big a deal as Indy and run by the same sanctioning body, AAA and later, USAC. Amazing place to visit, even if just flogging a wheezy rental up to the top.

My favorite year was 1985 just because of Michelle Mouton. A decade later the Suzuki Escudo was the revelation... hard to believe than in nearly 100 years from the first record of about 20 minutes, the time to the top is (only) half that now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKfzR7dX-c]YouTube - 1985 Pikes Peak Audi quattro S1 Mouton[/ame]
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Millen commented after practice that his car wasn't setup or even designed for the gravel part of the course, this was mostly a shakedown year in anticipation for next year after the rest of the course is paved. Which to my mind is a damn shame, I like that it's part tarmac part gravel.

Also, holy crap, that 2WD time is amazing.. is there any info on the car? To be faster than an Evo up something like that is very impressive.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Zwart's car: Six-Time Champion Jeff Zwart Returns to PPIHC (I think that's about this years car)

I agree that the two different surfaces are what gives the race a lot of its character and it will be sad to see asphalt monotony in the future.

I'll stop being interested once it's all asphault. What's the point then? It's not really Pikes Peak anymore.

Zwart is my new hero, and proves that Evo's/STI's are highly over rated.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5djWO2oCSo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Pikes Peak 2010 - Jeff Zwart Qualifying[/ame]

Porsche 911

Interesting, how time can show Corvette ZR1 or Gallardo Superleggera
    Last edited by Drones; 06-29-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    YouTube - Pikes Peak 2010 - Jeff Zwart Qualifying
    That's a hugely impressive drive.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

love it when it just changes to gravel.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqZDiU4NRM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqZDiU4NRM[/ame]

This year is the last year of both a paved and loose surface Pike's Peak. It's 90% paved already, but hopefully it will be a nice last hurrah for this unique style of hillclimbing. As cool as it may be to see some classic European hillclimb machinery make its way across the pond, I think Pike's Peak will be losing its most interesting characteristic.

I think breaking the ten-minute barrier would be a fitting send off for a partially-gravel Pike's Peak.

Like last year, there is no real media coverage of the event so if anyone sees a video of a run, be sure to post it here.

Live Streaming (they say so).

Wish Pikes Peak will attract more interesting cars later, though.

Considering that I miss the boat already to watch the pavement/gravel mix, I'd settle for anything in the future...definitely on the list to watch in person once in my like...

Switching to tarmac will probably means less compromised setup....and ability to use even more downforce and ground effect....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

thansk faksta, watching it

After a day of competing in Scottish Hillclimb in the clouds/rain it's nice to see blue sky and sun
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

9:51!!!

Thread Information