Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nissan IDx Concept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Surely they can team up with Renault to share costs and the Régie can do their own impersonation of a new Renault Caravelle to extend potential volume.

Probably.

(By the way, I had to look up what the damn acronym actually meant...)
    Or they can turn the chassis around and make a new Alpine!

Me too.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I wasn't even sure it was a known acronym. I meant to confound with a potential Kitdy original.

My gut tells me this is not destined for the street, in a my-gut-is-actually-a-complex-interpretation-of-hard-to-tease-out-thoughts kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Or they can turn the chassis around and make a new Alpine!

Me too.
    They are actually all sort of related. The A108 was based on Dauphine mechanicals and the Caravelle was the factory's take on a sportier Dauphine. Of course the Alpine was rather more successful.

I considered using the Frégate for my comical amusing remark (AFAIK the only post war front engined rear wheel drive Renault designed by Renault themselves) but that was only available as a four door, so it didn't quite fit.

But I digress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I wasn't even sure it was a known acronym. I meant to confound with a potential Kitdy original.

My gut tells me this is not destined for the street, in a my-gut-is-actually-a-complex-interpretation-of-hard-to-tease-out-thoughts kinda way.
    To me the overtly retro design and some of the detailing (like the nose which I suspect would have a tough time meeting safety regulations...) are signs that this car isn't as close to production as we might wish.

Nevertheless, the success of the Toyobaru both in terms of sales as well as in terms of image, makes this more possible than if it was otherwise.

Who knows...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would imagine if they do do a Toyabaru (ಠ_ಠ I see what I did there) it would not be retro nor look anything like this.

It'd be Silviaesque or a mini Z car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I would imagine if they do do a Toyabaru (ಠ_ಠ I see what I did there) it would not be retro nor look anything like this.

It'd be Silviaesque or a mini Z car.
    I'd love a new Silvia! Been waiting for one since the U.S. missed out on the S15.

Apparently the car is on for production.

Smaller Nissan Z car planned | Autocar

Also new Z, and that stupid BladeDeltaGliderwing thing as well.

I tell you, forget global warming and speed cameras. This is a petrolhead's golden era.
    Visca Catalunya!

Can I has a sad?

Nissan IDx is Super-Dead, But Parts May Live On in FWD Platform - The Truth About Cars

It's very dead at this point.

Boo on Nissan for being a jerk. I would have liked having a modern day Silvia.

It's sad indeed.

I guess you can't blame for not wanting to lose money, though.
    Visca Catalunya!

It's sad indeed.

I guess you can't blame for not wanting to lose money, though.
    I guess Toyota and Subaru were pretty stupid then.

I can't understand why they won't make a BR-Z STI, it doesn't even compete anywhere near to the WRX or regular STI anyway. They would literally print money like no tomorrow.

Well, I guess being the world's biggest car maker means you can swallow it up if it goes wrong (I'm not sure the Toyobaru is actually meeting sales targets) and anyway they had to partner with Subaru (and transfer most of the engineering to them) to make it work.

Nissan can't afford that, as it turns out.
    Visca Catalunya!

Welp, the Toyobaru was a punt, first on the scene kinda deal, that was hyped up and hotly anticipated and.. none of us bought one. If it's just power holding you back, there's about 57 kits available that'll give you a nice bump up without stressing things too much or costing an arm/leg transplant but we're still not buying them. I can assure you that if there was a waiting list for a Toyobaru, the IDx would be out already. While I agree that a BRZ STi would seem to be a sound business idea at this point given the platform and the engine are proven to take the power, it makes no sense at all for Nissan to leap into the fray at this stage.

I bought an MX-5.

That has to count for something.

Probably.
    Visca Catalunya!

It helps a lot more than an old Alfa does.

Well, I guess being the world's biggest car maker means you can swallow it up if it goes wrong (I'm not sure the Toyobaru is actually meeting sales targets) and anyway they had to partner with Subaru (and transfer most of the engineering to them) to make it work.

Nissan can't afford that, as it turns out.
    That's true, Nissan is a smaller manufacturer, but not that much smaller. If they can afford the 370Z platform, I think it'd be okay if they built a smaller RWD platform and share it with Renault too.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Welp, the Toyobaru was a punt, first on the scene kinda deal, that was hyped up and hotly anticipated and.. none of us bought one. If it's just power holding you back, there's about 57 kits available that'll give you a nice bump up without stressing things too much or costing an arm/leg transplant but we're still not buying them. I can assure you that if there was a waiting list for a Toyobaru, the IDx would be out already. While I agree that a BRZ STi would seem to be a sound business idea at this point given the platform and the engine are proven to take the power, it makes no sense at all for Nissan to leap into the fray at this stage.
    I currently don't own a car, but a BRZ is up there on my list when I do get spending power. Power be damned, I'm used to underpowered cars anyway.

I was hoping for Nissan to make the IDX so that small RWD cars would show up somewhere on Honda's radar. That was more wishful thinking than anything else though. Honda's so lost with its sport car/sports sedan strategy I have no idea where to begin... Don't even get me started with Acura.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    That's true, Nissan is a smaller manufacturer, but not that much smaller. If they can afford the 370Z platform, I think it'd be okay if they built a smaller RWD platform and share it with Renault too.
    The 370Z already sits on a shortened Skyline/Q50 platform which apparently can't be shortened anymore. This platform forms the basis of all current rear wheel drive road Nissans, if I'm not mistaken, so I wouldn't say it's well amortised already.

By the way, the Z now costs about the same as a BRZ so I don't know if there would be much room below anyway.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information