The 911 is clearly a superior car. But a precursor, the 356 Super 90 SC is for me the hands-down best all-round "GT" car of its time. It had leather upholstery and all the comforts of home in the cockpit. But the light-weight features included plastic windows with pull-up straps plus aluminum doors, hood and rear deck-lid. The motor was 1585 cc, redlined at about 6500 rpm, with a 4-speed gearbox and disks on all 4 corners.

My own experience with one was co-driving David McClain's #7 car in the 1965 Daytona 2000 Kilometer race, where we finished 11th OA and 1st in Class, 5 laps behind the Cobra of Graham Shaw and Dick Thompson.

Through practice and the race, the car literally ran like a clock, handled like a dream, stopped on a dime, used a couple of quarts of oil and 2 sets of pads, and had never a hiccup. We managed to beat a whole garage-full of heady rolling stock, while tooling along in total comfort...well, pretty good conditions anyhow.

I've raced a Ferrari 250 GTO for 3 years, and owned rear-engined and front-engined road Porsches, but I'd take that cozy, responsive little 90 SC any day!
Larry