Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alfa Romeo Giulietta (Tipo 750 and 101) 1954-1964

don't tell him that, we like his pics...
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Ferrer, you should get a social life, instead of bombarding us with great picīs
    Today I still had time to meet some friends and have supper with them...

Having finished exams yesterday greatly helps...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Alfa Romeo Giulietta #9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 10-02-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta #10

Alfa Romeo Giulietta #11
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Two corrections on this thread which I noticed today.

Post #2 from Matt is not a 1963 Giulietta Sprint Speciale. The front and wire wheels look out of fashion for the '60's Giulietta. I checked again and this pic actually shows a 1900 Sprint Speciale (1956-1958 model). Apparently Fiat does not know their own heritage by naming the picture wrongly

Same goes for post #9, pic 2. This is the front of the same car, check the radiator details versus the Giulietta.

Post #2 from Matt is not a 1963 Giulietta Sprint Speciale. The front and wire wheels look out of fashion for the '60's Giulietta. I checked again and this pic actually shows a 1900 Sprint Speciale (1956-1958 model). Apparently Fiat does not know their own heritage by naming the picture wrongly

Same goes for post #9, pic 2. This is the front of the same car, check the radiator details versus the Giulietta.
    funny, according to the caption in post#2 it is a 1963 Giulia
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nevertheless, that one is an early Giulietta Sprint (type 750 B).

You are right about post #2.

I think your on to something, it looks to be the same as this 1956 1900 Super Sprint not the Sprint Speciale.
    It might deserve it's own thread

Fixed
    Last edited by Duell; 10-02-2013 at 01:00 AM.

This one of 16 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce Zagato coupes built between 1956 and 1959. All slightly different in detail execution, and all built for competition purposes, they were tremendously successful on the racetracks, rallies and mountain circuits.

That the line began with an accident is fascinating and tells a compelling story of mid-20th century Italian racing. Massimo Girolamo Leto di Priolo was a gentleman racer who took delivery of a new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce in May, 1956. Four days later, he drove his new car in the Mille Miglia, where he promptly crashed into a riverbed, essentially destroying the bodywork. Rather than having his car repaired to factory standards, Leto di Priolo had the remains taken to Zagato, who cut the wrecked panels off the platform and built a new body in its place.

With a more aerodynamic shape and an alloy body weighing over 100 kg less than the steel-panelled factory car, this Sprint Veloce Zagato coupe was soon racking up a string of victories through the remainder of 1956 and into 1957. It did not take long for his fellow competitors, especially those with Giulietta Sprint Veloces, to take notice. Turning a factory Sprint Veloce into an SVZ was not an inexpensive matter. On top of the 2.26 million lira cost of a new Alfa coupe, another 1.2 million lira needed to be added for the new Zagato body.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce Zagato technical specifications

• 1,290 cc dual overhead camshaft inline four-cylinder engine
    • dual Weber carburettors
    • 87 kW (116 bhp)
    • four-speed manual transmission
    • independent front and rigid rear axle with coil springs suspension
    • four-wheel drum brakes
    • wheelbase: 2,248 mm

This is not the only 1495 model that was converted to SZ. Here is chassis 6716, a regular at the Monterey Historics.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    This is not the only 1495 model that was converted to SZ. Here is chassis 6716, a regular at the Monterey Historics.
    Converted?

It looks like a later model Sprint Zagato (1960-1963), which were built together by Alfa and Zagato, unlike SVZ.

And what is 1495 model?

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Converted?

It looks like a later model Sprint Zagato (1960-1963), which were built together by Alfa and Zagato, unlike SVZ.

And what is 1495 model?
    check the chassis plate of the blue one. Type indication is AR1493. (so indeed not 1495 ...) A real Zagato has 101.26 and then a number.

Ok I can see now, #6716 is indeed rebodied by Zagato, not a "factory built".

I did a little research to sort out Giulietta model and chassis numbers. Here are results if anyone is interested.

1488.xxxxx - Giulietta Berlina
    1468.xxxxx - Giulietta T.I.
    1493.xxxxx - Giulietta Sprint
    1495.xxxxx - Giulietta Spider

These are good for pre-1960 models only, they changed the numbering system for later models.
    Last edited by Revo; 09-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information